Hey folks

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: Hey folks

Post by smoovew »

OH. MY. I'm in love with this motorcycle now.

I got the front signals on, no rear blinkers blinking. Found the disconnected wires and all blinkers firing. Headlight on and jiggered to not bounce all over (still waitin on a proper bucket). Threw my kiddo on the back with his kungfu deathgrip around my middle and a quick little hour long spin around the block later (had to stop for ice cream, of course) I'm parking back home and can't wait to get back on it as soon as I can in the morning. It has been years since I had to scrape bugs off my helmet....I love it. Thanks NGW Club for giving me the inspiration to start stripping my wing down to the necessities. New life in this old girl. My other girl is going to get a serious sizzle in her seat when she gets her first ride on it too...
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
Ride it like you built it
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

TA DAAA

Always good to hear from another happy customer.
Congrats.
Last edited by gregforesi on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

Thanks for the advice, Greg. Have a plan is #1!

Picked up a black and chrome bucket today as well as #8 (i think) bolts. If you live in Minneapolis, Midwest Cycle seems to be about the best for parts and one of the guys there likes to nerd out over these older metric bikes. Luckily, they are just a quarter mile down the road from me. I looked at that Emgo Viper fairing and decided against it. They have everything!!!
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

So, headlight is all set though needs some proper aiming. Some of the wiring harness still looks like spaghetti (not room in the bucket or won't reach). But the clubman bars and controls went on, no problem. And I don't think they're ever coming off again. It's nothing like riding o the old 2 wheeled winnebago. Pictures tomorrow when the sun comes up.

For the inaugural ride I swung by Bob's Java Hut, a Minneapolis biker coffee bar that has been around forever and is decorated with all sorts of cafe racing memorabilia. Within 5 minutes of parking in front with the other bikes, two older gentlemen ambled up and started looking her over and commenting on the unusual combination of bagger and cafe styling.

I LOVE IT. Took my girlfriend on a ride and she was thrilled. So much fun. So NOT what I think of when I think Goldwing.
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

always great to find a dealership with a guy who likes old bikes!
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Yeah, there are a lot of dealers who won't even touch a carburetor'd bike anymore.
So NOT what I think of when I think Goldwing.
Yeah, most folks think of the later dressed bikes. I've got one, and it's an outstanding piece of machinery, but the white one goes out almost everyday. The black one goes on trips.

There is a slight difference between the old and the new.
MBS_0043.JPG
MBS_0043.JPG (178.18 KiB) Viewed 258 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

rcmatt007 wrote:always great to find a dealership with a guy who likes old bikes!
Well, Midwest Cycle Supply is parts and service as well as accessories and such. But all the stuff I've found online they also seem to stock for the same price. And they also have a front counter case full of GL1100 parts and bobber/cafe bits. Nice guys working there. And it's just down the street from me. Perfect.
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
NakedWing82
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by NakedWing82 »

dude, jealous out loud :( ..... I want a shop like that down the street from me......
If you ride, we're family

82 GL1100 Naked Rat...... WIP

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=61606.0
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

Lets see if I can get the latest pics up.
Yesterday afternoon I got the headlight+bucket, signals, clubmans, etc...all set!
Most fun to ride ever. Dunno if I can go back. Maybe swap to the Daytona bars if I plan a full day-log ride with back seater.

Here it was,
original.jpg
original.jpg (59.93 KiB) Viewed 254 times
and is
gunner.jpg
gunner.jpg (133.7 KiB) Viewed 254 times
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

Might as well give the proper shoutout. Their website is not really great, but that's because they're motorcycle mechanics, not website monkies!
http://www.midwestcycle.com/home.php
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
BobManifold
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BobManifold »

Welcome from Connecticut
Here's some pics of what we have done to an 81 interstate found under a tree in April......
Attachments
20140604_144720.jpg
20140604_144720.jpg (70.56 KiB) Viewed 254 times
20140604_144457.jpg
20140604_144457.jpg (63.51 KiB) Viewed 254 times
20140525_160634.jpg
20140525_160634.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 254 times
Bob Manifold

Older, fuller-figured, bike nut living in rural Connecticut

94 GL1500A Really Naked, Tangerine Dream
81 GL1100 Naked, Carbon Fibre Black Beauty
81 GL1100 based Ice Racing Sidecar
78 BMW R100/7 (Original Owner) My regular ride nowadays
86 CR500 Ice Racer
77 Ex-Works FANTIC 200 Trials Sidecar (Will Hawkes bike)
99 Montessa 305 Trials Sidecar
99 Ex-Works Bultaco Sherpa (Andreu Codina's bike)
79 Bultaco 199A Sherpa
65 Honda CA77 305 Dream
73 Yamaha DT250
81 XR500 (600cc) StarRacer Dirttrack
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

I suppose I should look into replacing the speedo. I'm pretty sure the gearbox went kaputz a couple months ago and I dunno if it is worth the hassle and $$ to replace with OEM. As much as I want to be hands-on, the prospect of removing the front wheel and all that seems risky considering i don't have a garage to work in. Any recommendations for an after market magnetic sensor speedo that might fight right in where the stock speedo is now?
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

Figure it's time to follow up with some current pics.
I have replaced the speedo gearbox, speedo (and cable, for length) and tach, front left caliper, rotor, and break line(SS), front MC, left and right switch controls, front and rear signals, tail/break light, clubman bars, bikemaster bar-end mirrors.

Right now I have a sort of temporary seat built. I'm working on a fiberglass rear and seat. I also need to repaint. And of course, I need to do something about the spaghetti mess of fires that are just sorta hanging out between the headlight bucket and the false tank. I wish there were some easier place to stash all those wires. There's also a set of progressive front fork springs on their way to me in the mail, so my next piece of the project is to replace the springs and front fork seals.

And I'm doing all of this without a garage :( sigh... But hey, working in the open air can be nice sometimes.
20150629_182146 - Edited.jpg
20150629_182146 - Edited.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 234 times
20150629_200205 - Edited.jpg
20150629_200205 - Edited.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 234 times
Last edited by smoovew on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------
smoovew
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by smoovew »

OH, and I forgot I have a set of progressive springs coming in the mail...that's the next major project. New front seals and springs. Front end is so squishy right now. So it the rear but not so much of an issue when it comes to how the bike feels, performance wise, I don't think.
----------------------
'83 GL1100 nekkid
----------------------