New member and proud new owner of GL1000 Executive #34

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Cookie wrote:I've only seen that color on LTDs before, I imagine that was Honda marketing's idea of an elegant color for the sophisticated buyer.
You can find a list of numbers for LTDs on this site somewhere and it would be interesting to see if you serial number was within that batch.
Well I have learnt that the paint job was done at Rickman and the bikes were origionally the stock colours, ( mine is the blue on the inside of the panels)
The other thing that got changed was the wheels, with the wire wheels gone and spoked wheels in place. For some reason the rear is 2" smaller than stock. This would acount for why I put my back out the other day trying to get her on the centre stand!!!! :shock:
Pete
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

That is always an issue when you change sizes. It sounds then as if Honda sent a number of stock models to Rickman for the complete job.
I have to wonder if honda was just experimenting to see if the public would buy a completly faired and prepared bike.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Yes, they sent all 52 of them to Rickman for the re stying job and Rickman did it all. They were taken from the dealerships by Honda UK for this. I suspect and have heard on the grape vine that this was because Wings were not selling that well in the UK at the time and Honda wanted to drum up enthusiasm for them. Considering the huge price hike when they put them back into the showrooms they sold really well, which I guess proved that the exercise was worthwhile.
I think the black and white photo on page one was the first one shown in Rickman's factory after the re styling.
Pete
hiddenone
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by hiddenone »

Welcome Pete from Oregon. Sweet looking bike.
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."
--Willaru Huayta, QUECHUA NATION, PERU
2-76 gl1000's
1-76 gl1000 LTD
1-parts 75 gl1000
tirejoe
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tirejoe »

Pete welcome from Kentucky,very nice and rare bike.
joe
rocknturtle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Wow

Post by rocknturtle »

I have never heard or seen one ....they are beautiful! welcome from north carolina
2001 v star 1100 84 goldwing interstate 1999 shadow ace "lifes too short not to have fun"
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and I shall be visiting often to look and learn. :-D
Pete
Maplewingnut
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Maplewingnut »

Howdy Foxy,
Fancy meeting you here!
I'm looking forward to seeing your new bike restored to her former glory. Best of luck with her!!
Proud owner of an '89 GL1500 and '82 Interstate going naked and in need of TLC.
bum
Gold Member
Gold Member

maybe we can trade parts?

Post by bum »

let me know what parts you might need for your wing and maybe you can help me obtain parts for my 70 bonneville. I was re-united with it after over 30 years . It was my bike when I was in the navy stationed in Rota ,Spain in the early 70's. I sold it to a buddy of mine when I was discharged, that was in NYC in 1975. I moved to california in 1979 ,everytime I went home to visit I would ask my friend Sammy to sell it back to me and he would just laugh and say Nooooooooooooooooo.
He passed away several years ago and left her to me , when I found out I jumped in my chevy truck and sped off cross country to pick her up....................Now at the moment I have 6 wings in various stages of repair all between 75-78. who knows we might be able to help each other out.
good luck with bike
bum
8 wings + 1 Triumph +2 Musclecars = 1 pissed off wife !!!
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Well Bob, if you can track down any parts you need I will be happy to try and make them get to you from here, just send me a PM with details of anything you need. :)
Pete
Joe A.
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Joe A. »

Welcome, and thanks for sharing. I'm kind of new to this whole GW thing, and have not heard of the Executive before. Sweet looking ride. Welcome :-D
Joe
Missourimike
Gold Member
Gold Member

UK Model

Post by Missourimike »

Welcome to NGW, Silverfox, from Missouri USA :-D !
Nice looking model that Honda/Rickman supplied for you blokes in the UK!
Interesting that the wheels appear to be Lesters from Ohio USA? I know some like it were made in Taiwan, but how about yours? Lester Wheels have a good following here in the USA and can command high prices for some sizes and models. Got two sets of them myself. How rare/scarce are they for you fellows?
Enjoy the ride. Get any of that 5" snow fall around London? Cheers! :)
The difficult can be done in a day. The impossible takes a little longer, if you don't know it can't be done.
'75 GL YelloWing, '73 Norton Commando, '79 CB750, '80 Fiat Spyder, '83 Silverado w/ BB Cad, to name a few.
'79 Black Hondaline/Vetter bagger Tourer
'76 Yello Café to be
'83 CX650C Needs Work
'83 CX650C #2 Daily Rider
'79 Yamaha XS750
10 others in the project/parts pile
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Yes we did get the snow thanks, about 12" of it around us and it brought the wholeplace to a stand still ofcourse, being as we aren't used to dealing with that much in the South East of England. :shock:
Not quite sure about the wheels as yet,I am on learning curve as to who made what for the Executve. As I know,Rickman didn't necessarily produce all the stuff on their conversions/re styling projects.
Will be happy to let anyone that is interested know,as I find out more details. At the momnt I can't get down to the workshop to even see her,but will as soon as I can.Thecarbs are off now ready for cleaning and re build.
Have just aquired an origional rack for her, which was very generously donated by a member of the Steve Saunders site. It is an origional Rickman one and the correct specification.
Pete
Missourimike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Your Bike

Post by Missourimike »

Lucky you to find the rack and donated, to boot, for your project! Nice! I was out looking at a few racks I have just this morning. Contemplating whether to use and mount one, but I've nothing I really like. I like the one on the Executive! Mine are ugly.
I feel for you, being trapped in the snow. You folks don't even have snow shovels or plows for the streets. Many of us have been waiting all winter to get our projects ready for Spring. It's been a long cold winter. Finally we are getting some 60 and 70F' degree temps here!
I noticed also that your exhaust muffler appears to have been changed. If you have trouble finding an OEM in your area, give us a hollar here. The shipping charges would probably amount to the price of the muffler! They are a heavy item. Keep in touch and keep them pictures coming!
And about the wheels...look for an oval decal on them with Lester name.
The difficult can be done in a day. The impossible takes a little longer, if you don't know it can't be done.
'75 GL YelloWing, '73 Norton Commando, '79 CB750, '80 Fiat Spyder, '83 Silverado w/ BB Cad, to name a few.
'79 Black Hondaline/Vetter bagger Tourer
'76 Yello Café to be
'83 CX650C Needs Work
'83 CX650C #2 Daily Rider
'79 Yamaha XS750
10 others in the project/parts pile
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Thanks for the heads up there on some things Mike, that may well help.
Indeed you are correct the mufflers are aftermarket and I have discovered chrome under the hastily daubed on paint :x . Unfortunately they have some good dents and scrapes so not much point in trying to do much with them, but luckily they are at least fairly sound,so for the time being they will have to do. I hope to find a decent set of exhausts for her in time and as you say shipping might be expensive so I think they will have to come from this side of the Pond. Oh how i wish I had the money for the ones on Randakk's site, brand new in a box!!!!
This is going to end up a long term project I suspect due mostly to the fact that I am a pauper!!!! :shock: :( :lol: but over time I hope to at least gather the parts together to get her back to he former glory.
The correct fairing and the rack are a start and I am pleased to have got that much, given that the Executives are a pretty rare beast.
I have perused Randakks site and have learned a few more things and the fog is starting to lift on all I knew about GL1000 some 30years ago with my first one. Think I have forgotten more than I ever knew!!! :-?
Perhaps once I get really stuck in here I will start a seperate thread about the bike and the hopeful rise to origional spec.
Pete