A NEW JOINER

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

A NEW JOINER

Post by Sundance »

I just joined and read through seven or eight posts and finally this welcome post by Whiskerfish asking me to post an introduction. I was going to wait until I could purchase a Goldwing, and just browse the site for the pure pleasure and fascination of these boxer engines, and deep admiration for the persons that participate with their knowledge and expertise and overall well-being. I am currently looking at one ’77 naked GL1000, sitting dead but garaged recently, for 650 dollars. It appears unmolested except the seat is being subbed, and the front headlight is busted out, but it is about 190 road miles away from me. To be given to an expert for restoration (Preferred) it can be found in Georgia. Another much finer machine is with a fairing and is a 1979 blue GL 1000 being advertised for 1000 dollars in East Tennessee that has been sitting for a few years apparently indoors. Unfortunately I have a KZ 1000 P Series from 1984 sitting outside and need to do something like make a decision….omg! Like I began to say, I really wanted to just snoop in and really have a love for the design of the ’75-’79 Goldwings, but obediently followed the gracious request. I hope this smells like Smithfield Ham, ‘cuz that’s the country I am from, being hospitably southern. xmas2 (Sundance).
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: A NEW JOINER

Post by TNTbefree »

Welcome to the club Sundance. A 77 or 79... Not that you asked, but if the overall condition is about the same, I myself, would go for the 79. I love the gauges on the "tank".
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Welcome aboard from Indiana. I have a 79 for sale. Ready to ride, if that's the way you want to go, but would need tires in the spring.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

:flamer Thanks for the welcome TNTbefree and Robin 1731. Yes, the gauges on the '78 and '79 are attractive and make the fairing more a part of the bike, than without. The ones I was looking into, the '79 is by far in the fairer condition, and is only sleeping from lack of use. Plus it has a trailer nearby for delivery if I wished to pursue further, but it is an e-mail only contact on craigslist, and my present status there says my password is lacking strength; not that simple to change for me. I would offer 800 plus fifty for delivery because I see that in it. The other one, being a '77 has the phone number and is needing to be dumped for having to relocate. It is stone cold dead from appearance and has been for sometime, but fully naked and whole, except a questionable seat and headlight innards. My fear stems from a 30/30 waist and length and my ability to run 600 pounds on some country roads here, and God forbid I have to back it uphill. My KZ 1000 P is too big for my inseam comfortably, and I can't maneuver it without clutch and throttle. I love the boxer engine style and innards, and believe it may fit my sitting stance more favorably. Plus the naked '77 I think looks better without the fairing. I am retired now at 63, but limited in income, Robin 1731. I am not sure I could match the value of a nice running bike again without breaking an egg. Thanks for the response, both of you...I am definitely trying to use a patient approach. I am looking forward to using this forum, and remember the dreams created today are the inventions built for tomorrow. Sundance :flamer
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Robin has done all of the work for you .... a cheaper bike will cost as much by the time you get it 'right' ....

Gord (.02) Jones
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin! Sounds like you've got a few choices. It isn't terribly difficult to remove an aftermarket fairing, especially if the installer left most of the original pieces behind. I'm kind of partial to basket cases, myself, for no other reason than I typically go through most everything (brakes, carbs, bearings, tires, etc) before the bike hits the road. I see lots of 'runners' advertised that really need as much TLC as a cheaper non-runner. I would pay a bit more for a nicer bike cosmetically, and more still for a bike that has been 'refreshed' such as the '79 Robin has. Each has it's merits, and kind of depends on your budget, time, and mechanical ability. Good luck with your search!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

:orange Well, I do have quite a few choices to make, and just beginning to assess the current market. Indiana is a difficult jaunt from here, but a good last resort to keep in mind. I am not too enchanted by the two available at the moment except by their price, and the fear the '77 could be lost outright due to the owner moving. It is Christmas time and I do have a moral conscience involved, all in all. I care too much to sneak around while I keep my mouth shut for up to 3 months spying, and suddenly pop up and say "Hi". But then it is what it is, just a friendly gesture that when I do find cause to submit another post-topic, or actually have some intelligent logic for replying to another post, the inquisitive seeker will not stumble about wondering when the dawn arose...(Sundance). Anyway, the comradie is very congenial this season and a very welcome joy. My time is unlimited it seems, but we all know how checks and balances usually prioritize. I believe Whiskerfish is from Norfolk, and as Newport News was my home in my delinquent years, and as one Ex-Virginian to a Virginian should properly do, it was just a shoutout...my duck and hide days come from way back then. Now I moved west to Tennessee. Thanks, Sundance... shakehands
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Welcome and good luck. Lots of help here in NGW>
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Lol. Yo Sundance! I love the way you shoot from the hip. Welcome! Do pull up a chair and stay a while - GL or not.

I too am partial to the 78/79 (mainly because I have a 78), but the false tank shape and gauges are definitely eye catching and unique to the Goldwing lineage. I can tell you this. If you do decide to bring one home and get it dialed in, you will be a very happy camper - especially in Tennessee. (BTW, I grew up in North Carolina, so I speak the language).
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

A teaser. ;)
Attachments
DSCN0389.JPG
DSCN0389.JPG (221.2 KiB) Viewed 210 times
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

And what you can run in to. I bought this bike just to use for a "carb dyno/test unit". I had to rebuild the heads, put electronic ignition on it, and put in a new water pump. Just doing that if you paid someone you would easily have a $1000 wrapped up in it. Then add brakes, maybe a fuel pump, gas tank renewal. Do not want to scare you. Just want to show how quick it can add to buy a "cheap" bike. ;)

Attachments
DSCN0466.JPG
DSCN0466.JPG (188.84 KiB) Viewed 210 times
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

dancr Robin 1731, that is a sweet teaser for sure. In my past, I had a 350 Harley Springer (beginner), then moved to a Honda 400, used, and then a new Harley 883 the first year of production with a Hugger. My only complaint with the Hugger was the recall on the spokes (4 to 5?) and the inability to even change the oil due to insurance validations.

In between all that I had a old '73 Honda 550 that I was stripping down in my living room...(not recommended unless you enjoy Lysol High). At the moment my KZ is a rebuild but I am wary of it, plus I feel ridiculous riding a Police Cruiser. Desertrefugee, you happen to be one of the more noticeable commenters in my review so far, (Still on Welcome and Introductions) that have made me chuckle more than once. I appreciate the responses.

I haven't even begun to review the rest of the forum yet, other than Rules and Regulations, but once upon a time in the past I did without joining. I was enthused by the design, and had an opportunity to buy a red '75 in good operational condition plus appearance for $1500. But then I suffered rotator cuff damage to my left arm for six months (BC Powders), and when that healed my right shoulder did the same (BC Powders again).

After healing over time I bought a 1980 Suzuki and a 1982 Suzuki parts bike, besides some 4 wheeled vehicles, and really now I am not looking to ride so much as to tinker. I need to sell the KZ but procrastination is my ruler, and I may be slow to move toward anything.

This site is very attractive, and I am looking forward to winter months of research, and the opportunity to communicate was an unexpected delight. I am an avid reader but my retention has always stayed south of brilliance. Oh yeah, I remember plenty of times when they are as slow as me. But they quicken with age, and the new technology becomes unfathomable, and I still can't figure how to question what it is I don't know, and by now what I have forgotten...Sundance. :IDTS:
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

lolol So, last night the owner of the '79 dropped his price to $800, and another one in the same area of Cleveland Tn. posted a naked 1975 for just $250 dollars, but it has a cooked engine. He didn't specify the problem, nor is there a title, and it is only an e-mail contact. Meanwhile I began to dig in to ENGINE REMOVAL by Whiskerfish, and will be spending my time in that sub-forum until I can no longer stand my resistance and turn to the RESTORATION section. One thing I am very certain of is claiming a stock bike, or as near as possible to it. (I don't want to be dressed by a mother not my own.) Anyway, if someone feels like stopping in and saying hi, I will be checking back here frequently. If I do make comment elsewhere it will be on a link that greeted me here in the introduction. Cheers so far to TNTbefree, Robin 1731, RAT, Track T 2411, 77 Gowing, and desertrefugee, as a setting preference. If I should need guidance (don't we all!) please feel at ease to recommend or persuade, or prompt me, and please be not discouraged if I respond to my own mind. The input is a huge help. Thanks, Sundance... :popcornx2
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Sundance, i [maybe] got lucky with a $300 bike, and in my most optimistic moments, i might see it on the road for 750.00 but probably could be a thousand. I have started a thread on the resto section, and it might give you an idea of what it takes just to get a good start. i have a ways to go, and i think it pays very well to listen to the guys who want to help you out. The fact that robin is an approved re-builder by randakk goes pretty far in my book.

I looked for the link to Robin's bike for sale , but could not find anything. Anybody??
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

raiddrten wrote: I looked for the link to Robin's bike for sale , but could not find anything. Anybody??

PM sent. So we aren't hijacking this thread. ;)

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”