Adding Seafoam to the Oil?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Adding Seafoam to the Oil?

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

As you might know, I've been doing a lot of research on how to possibly clean out the oil passages in my '78 project, and the subject of Seafoam keeps coming up but mostly in the gas tank; anybody use Seafoam in their oil, and how'd it go? Is it worth it? I've read it helps...I've used it in gas tanks, but not the oil.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Adding Seafoam to the Oil?

Post by gltriker »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:24 pm As you might know, I've been doing a lot of research on how to possibly clean out the oil passages in my '78 project, and the subject of Seafoam keeps coming up but mostly in the gas tank; anybody use Seafoam in their oil, and how'd it go? Is it worth it? I've read it helps...I've used it in gas tanks, but not the oil.
Dr. John-
https://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a ... /#more-687

step #21 - 50/50 recipe of engine oil and transmission fluid to flush the engine. Seafoam an internal engine lubricant ?
Automatic transmission fluid is a lubricant, and keeps the internals of an automatic transmission and lines and oil cooler clean, as well.
Last edited by gltriker on Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

Lots of guys do it - I don't. I don't want solvents in my crankcase. I've had great results with the ATF/ oil mix. Doubled the compression on an old CB350 twin. I cleared up a tapping lifter and clogged oil sending unit screen on a Sierra 1500. I've cleaned out a half dozen other engines the same way. Just let it idle as long as it will without overheating and dump it.
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

Interesting! in practice you put this mixture 50 engine oil and 50 ATF, and then when you run the engine, how many minutes? then I let it rest for one night, more than one night or is it just a few hours?
forgive me all questions, but I'm curious to learn.
Paola
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Seen a guy drain the oil and put diesel in, then run it for a couple of minutes "to flush it out". No idea if it made any difference, but that was in a CB450. I would not do it to a plain-bearing engine. :lol:
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Yeah, I was just curious. When I did my '75 I did the Randakk thing, and it did smoke some, but not a lot, and went away pretty quickly. I have both on the shelf (Seafoam and ATF), but I'd never done the Seafoam. Thought I'd ask and see if there was a favorite.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

On your 78,
I think that I would use cheap oil and change it a couple of times.

Since you are trying to get the rust particulates out of the engine, I'm not sure
how effective solvents would be at this point.

The goal at this point should be the same as an oil change.
Run the engine, get the oil warm and flowing,
suspend the contaminants in the oil, open the drain and let them get carried out by the oil.

The sludge and crap that has accumulated in the internal nooks and crannies could be cleaned out
later on using seafoam, mmo, atf, etc. after the majority of the rust particles have been removed.
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

I've used a high detergent diesel engine oil on a 49 chev before, 3 flush and change, also changing the filter each time.
I sure don't know if that would work well on your 78? Seafoam is kinda corrosive ...haw?!
Randakks ATF method might be a plan? Would seafoam do harm to seals and gaskets might also be a question, since they're probably old and brittle.
Just a thought .
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Use seafoam in both gas and oil. If you put it in the oil, easy miles, no more than 100 before change..
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

Oldewing wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:35 pm Use seafoam in both gas and oil. If you put it in the oil, easy miles, no more than 100 before change..
See, I learned something new, didn't know you could use seafoam in the oil . :)
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Oldewing wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:35 pm Use seafoam in both gas and oil. If you put it in the oil, easy miles, no more than 100 before change..
This works for me … 'new' bike with lower mileage doesn’t seem to benefit as much as the older, high mileage bikes did.

Gord crossy.gif
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Francis wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:56 pm I've used a high detergent diesel engine oil on a 49 chev before, 3 flush and change, also changing the filter each time.
I sure don't know if that would work well on your 78? Seafoam is kinda corrosive ...haw?!
Randakks ATF method might be a plan? Would seafoam do harm to seals and gaskets might also be a question, since they're probably old and brittle.
Just a thought .
My very first car when I was 16 was a Rambler American that my great uncle gave me. 4 cylinder flat head, three on the tree. The car was about 45% bondo. It used a little oil and I was broke and it was down over a quart. I put in some high detergent diesel oil that Dad had around for his tractors. That oil cleaned that old four banger out so much that it began smoking and using oil at an alarming rate! That high detergent oil cleaned out the sludge which was probably the only thing holding oil in the engine. Drove that car for a few months and on my way to a high school basketball game attempted to ram through a snow drift, got stuck of course. Found out the impact caused the right front A frame (unibody car) to break off and the wheel assembly was lying at about a 45 degree angle from vertical in the snow. That was the end of that vehicle. Your mentioning high detergent diesel oil reminded me.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Francis
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Francis »

@ sagebrush
Lol.., that's really good story/memories , I bought that 49 chev 1/2 ton from a farmer which I built a dugout for, asked him if it ran, he said well, you'd have to put gas in it and a battery (6 volt) then probably will. It did!! drove that thing for a whole year...sold it so I could get another bike. Still see it once in a while, it's all re-done, the guy has a 350 in it, brings a smile every time I do see it!