First ride on 75 cb400f

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

First ride on 75 cb400f

Post by JSBail »

Been messing with a cb400f for my wife the past few years and finally got it in road worthy shape and took it out for its first full test ride with my son following me on my cb750. That ended abruptly when a woman on a lawn tractor mowing the side of the road to my right decided to turn in front of me without even looking first. I thought I was going to whoa it up in time but her tractor had these attachment bars coming out from behind ..... and over the bars I go. Stress fracture in lower left arm and the muscles in my left leg are really sore and hamstring in right leg isn't happy making it a challenge just to walk to the washroom. No road rash or head injury, my armored riding jacket and crash helmet prevented things from being worse. Helmet took a good whack with marks to prove it so a new one is in order.
Attachments
first ride.jpg
first ride.jpg (308.88 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
Scott
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: First ride on 75 cb400f

Post by Whiskerfish »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

DAMN!!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Whiskerfish wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:51 am :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

DAMN!!!
It was running and sounding so sweet up to that point too. Once I had determined I was still alive, I turned my head and saw the damage .... and you can imagine how I felt. Too sore to go out in the garage to access the damage, I just hope the neck of the frame is OK, if so I'll be able to salvage it.
Scott
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Hope so they are great little bikes. Ibuprofen is your friend!

JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Update

I've got my left arm in a cast from my hand up to my armpit, I have to keep it on for another 2 weeks, they'll take it off and x-ray it again to make sure the bone is still properly aligned, if so the another cast from my hand to elbow for another 3 weeks. Orthopedic Dr took an x-ray of my arm the other day and all is OK there so no surgery needed. My hamstring muscle in my right leg was a concern because if the tendon was torn, then surgery may (key word is may) have been needed and I wasn't looking forward to that. It's recovery would be painful and I'd be off work far longer than the 6 weeks I'm off already because of my arm. MRI results showed it was indeed torn where the tendon attaches to the pelvic bone but he doesn't feel surgery is needed especially seeing how my ability to walk has improved and THAT took a huge load off my mind. I can't say my right leg is 100% but it is about 80% and improving every day.

My son came over last weekend to swap the forks out with another set of cb400 forks, triple tree and rim I already had just so I could roll the bike around. So far from a visual point of view the frame seems fine but more precise measuring is needed to confirm that and that will have to wait until my arm is out of this cast. I thought for sure the insurance would total the bike but resale value of cb400f's are higher than you would think so they cut me a check for $2,400 and I keep the title. I suppose I could've tried for more but I feared I'd risk them totaling the bike, buy it back but then have to settle with a salvage title. Keep in mind that $2,400 is to cover damages to the bike, my medical bills, pain and suffering and so on are being handled separately and that wont be settled until possibly this time next year for all I know.
Scott
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

It is a long process. I am still fighting to get my deductible back from the wife's accident in her jeep Last march. 16 months now.

One thing to really check is the triple tree. I have seen a couple on the early wings that were bent in relatively minor incidents.

Good luck on the healing and do not force it.

JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

The triple tree definitely took a hit, we found that out trying to put the other set of forks in. Fortunately I had a spare.
Scott
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

What about her insurance? If she had homeowners or renters, it should be available. There are several national networks of motorcycle lawyers that can get you in contact with a local firm. If Indiana has Thunder Roads magazine available (free at biker gear shops) it should have ads. I have a friend in charge of marketing for a Knoxville firm that covers Tennessee and Kentucky. I'm not a fan of ambulance chasers, but these folks really help families broken by injured and killed motorcyclists.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

pidjones wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:49 am What about her insurance? If she had homeowners or renters, it should be available.
I'm actually OK with the $2,400 because even if the frame turns out to be no good I can get another titled frame and still have enough money left over to not only get it back in the same shape it was prior to the accident, I can finish it as well. As far as personal injury and med expense part of it, I can get a lawyer involved at any time if needed but for now I'm leaving a lawyer out of it and see how it all plays out. If their final settlement doesn't suit me, then I can get a lawyer.
Scott
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Well I finally healed up from the wreck and recently settled with the insurance for all the medical, lost pay and so on which meant it was finally time to get working on the 400 again and get it roadworthy. The tank and new side covers still need painted (ordered paint today) and the only thing keeping me from taking it for a ride is because I'm waiting on new clutch and brake levers to get here. The ones that were on the bike got broken during the wreck and the ones I have on it now are old ones I had laying around but are bent as well, I just put them on to bleed the brake and make sure all else was well. Can't wait to take it out because the engine sounds good, all I can say though is I better not see any lawn mowers when I do take it out again. :)
Attachments
400.jpg
400.jpg (320.66 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Scott
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

JSBail wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:31 pmSNIP all I can say though is I better not see any lawn mowers when I do take it out again. :)
action1 action1 action1 lolol lolol lolol lolol lolol