What would you do in my situation

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

What would you do in my situation

Post by wingrider »

Hello all,

I have been struggling with something recently, and am looking for a bit of advice. Back story is this...A fella I used to work with at the hospital developed pancreatic cancer. His name is Dave. Quits the hospital to "live life" to it's fullest before he passes. My buddy John also works at the hospital, and has moved in with Dave to take care of him as he gets worse.

Dave decides back in May that he wants a dual sport bike to take out to California. So, he purchases a used 2001 Honda XR650L...street legal dirt bike. Looked to be in good shape, 4500 miles on it, with recent top end. He rides this for a short time, and on one ride, the output shaft for the front sprocket breaks in half, causing the bike to abruptly stop. He is ok, but bike is hurt. The bike gets hauled out to my place, and I have agreed to fix it.

Dave is super appreciative of this, wants to pay me, etc. I say, lets just start with parts, and go from there. He gives me $500 to get parts. I ended up purchasing $544 in parts to get bike back up and running. I had told him I would keep him informed of the progress. Being we seem to be in a bit of a shortage for bike parts, I still do not have all the parts to "fix" the bike...I have very recently gotten enough parts to fix the engine, but still don't have everything to make it work.

Now comes the tough part. Dave has become quite a bit sicker, has been using pain pills, and smoking pot to deal with the pain. With this combination, He has become delusional, and paranoid. He moved out of the house John was at, and at the moment, unclear of his whereabouts.

John doesn't think Dave transferred the title for said bike, and doesn't really know where it is. John has said that Dave hasn't mentioned the bike, which makes John think he forgot about it.

I have recently attempted to contact Dave to let him know that I am still waiting on parts. So far, I have been unsuccessful in getting a hold of him.

I am a tad bit worried about what I am going to do with this bike when Dave passes. For reasons I still don't understand, I have a signed bill of sale for the bike. So, here I sit with a broken bike that isn't really mine, a handful of parts to fix the bike, and a dying man that doesn't wish to respond to me.

What would you do in this case? Sorry for the long story, but I am at a loss as to what I should do.

Thanks for any help.
Nate
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Re: What would you do in my situation

Post by Sagebrush »

I would just sit on it and let time take care of the issue. I don't think Dave is going to come looking for it and if he does you're still waiting on parts (although I would cancel any parts on order). If Dave passes and hasn't made contact then I would simply part it out. Things happen when you try to help a friend, this is one of those things.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Dave have any family? You could draft a letter to next of kin and explain that you want to do right, but have not been able to contact Dave. But beware - many families turn evil and greedy at times of death. In Tennessee, a notarized, signed bill of sale can get you a title if the numbers clear as no lien/not stolen.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Thanks,
Dave has two kids that want nothing to do with him, nor his things. Dave also doesn’t own any property, or have anything of value.

I seem to recall a state would give a title similar to what you are saying with a bill of sale..thought it might be Connecticut or Vermont.

One of my thoughts was, if he didn’t transfer title, it would be in the previous owners name. Here in MN, you can get a duplicate title for a small fee. What I am unsure of is, if I can look up a title to see who does own it.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1974 Suzuki GT550
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I would try to return the parts I could and get my money back and then
just set on everything and wait.

If Dave shows back up, give him his bike and his $500. and tell him you did your best.
If not.... sell it on craigslist.

If I was dying, I don't think a broken bike would be that big of a priority.
McTrucky
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by McTrucky »

I kind of have a different view.
If you can afford it, and only if.... and you are friends and have a bond with Dave, then
I would do my best to get the bike running and if he ever comes looking/asking about it he can have some pleasure before he dies. And you will feel good the rest of your days knowing you did a good thing. Money may come back to you if you retain the bike, or the relatives pay your costs; and it might not. But sometimes money is not the important thing.

But if Dave is someone you have no connection with beyond working at the same place, and/or the money required is more than you can comfortably 'write off', then you need to be realistic and avoid exposing yourself to financial risk. Seek funding from Dave and/or his relatives before you dig yourself into a deeper hole. And if you get no reply feel no guilt about parking everything until they do get back to you.

I would also seek guidance on whether someone on serious pain medication is likely to be a danger to others if he did get on a big dirt bike. Close friends or relatives may think that it is a blessing that the thing is broken; and may not thank you for fixing it.

If you imagine the situation was reversed, and you were the ill one, how would you like it to work out? How would you feel about others incurring costs and hassle to help you? If you treat others how you would hope/expect others to treat you, then you will have no moral or ethical guilt to drag you down.
1976 GL1000 barnfind, not run since 1991. My first Goldwing, which joins my 1990 Suzuki VX800 in the stable.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Thanks everyone! I have every intention of fixing the bike, but I know he is nearer to death than not.

I have been struggling with fixing it to give it back to him, as he isn’t safe to ride ANY bike, much less this one. He took his Sportster out a couple weeks ago, and everyone was holding their breath that he didn’t crash. I wasn’t around, but even the commentary of him riding made me uncomfortable.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1974 Suzuki GT550
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

You could always get it in road worthy condition, change the ownership into your name, sell the bike and donate the money to the cancer clinic in Dave's name. Make sure you cover your costs as well.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

I do not know the American regulations concerning the transfer of ownership of a vehicle, but here in Italy they are a bit complex. Without the signature of the vehicle owner, or in the event of the death of the heirs declared by a judge, nothing can be done. a few years ago a car mechanic friend of mine had restored a 1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia GT junior for a customer. Works for over 15 thousand euros. when the work was finished, just before the car was handed over, the owner died. the heirs, wealthy people, were not at all interested in the car, despite its worth, in Italy 35/40 thousand euros and maybe more! they don't want to pay the bill or sell the car, my friend asked to register the car documents to him, so that he can sell it and get back some money spent, giving them the difference, he doesn't want to earn a cent , but he would not want to lose the money invested, but there is nothing to be done, the heirs do not sign the transfer of ownership and he has been with this car in the workshop for three years and legally cannot do anything.
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

the heirs do not sign the transfer of ownership and he has been with this car in the workshop for three years and legally cannot do anything.
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Every locality has different rules, but in my state, you can file what is called a "mechanic's lien" to gain title to a vehicle in this situation. Not sure of any details.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

In Ohio, if you're not in the business of fixing bikes, and he skipped title, there wouldn't be much you could do about title. I think I'd return the parts and sit on it. It doesn't sound like the poor guy is in any condition to ride anyway. My sympathies, this is a rough situation on several levels.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Thanks for the thoughts… we have pretty much agreed, I’ll fix it, and somehow we will get the title for it. It was just a couple days ago I spoke with him, and he implied he was going to put the title aside for me.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1974 Suzuki GT550