Synthetic non polluting gasoline replacement

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Synthetic non polluting gasoline replacement

Post by Gowing »

Just in time to save our classic motorcycles and cars. Only $37.00 a gallon right now. But it will scale.
https://advrider.com/will-porsche-save- ... otorcycle/
Attachments
D827AC52-28CF-4584-923D-A6938EBA5796.png
D827AC52-28CF-4584-923D-A6938EBA5796.png (483.51 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Last edited by Gowing on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Synthetic non polluting gasoline replacement

Post by 5speed »

what a game changer if they pull it off.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Just remember: When internal combustion engined vehicles were introduced they were seen as a way to reduce the pollution caused by the millions of horses needed to keep even a moderate sized city running at the time. "Pollution from horses?" you ask. Yes, in addition to their droppings and their own form of exhaust emissions there were the thousands that died every day (old age, disease, accidents &c) and had to be hauled away. And all of that happened whether you drove them or not, unlike internal combustion that neither needs to be fuelled or produces any emissions when parked.
And yes, in spite of the dire things we have been hearing about the emissions from vehicles for over half a century, our world is a lot cleaner than it would have been if we were still using horses (the population has quadrupled so there would be at least 4-5 times the number of animals now, maybe more). It's just that we know more about it now and are trying to make things even cleaner, which seems to be working (compare the emissions from a 1950s car with those of a recent model that will do a lot more).

BTW: I don't believe electric vehicles will ever achieve the majority market share unless something changes drastically. This is simply because batteries take too long to re-charge (even the so-called quick chargers take a lot longer than pumping gas) and need to be re-charged way too often. Yes, electrics have enough range for most people's day to day needs but nobody wants to own separate vehicles for commuting and travelling.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

EV battery range?
I wonder how many miles they could travel on a horse before having to stop to feed and water it?
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yet another advantage of internal combustion....
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

I remember reading that human beings first utilization of a controlled energy source was the cavemans use of fire.
or ....... burning hydrocarbons.

Now, here we are in the age of computers, space flight, Artifical intellegence, etc.....
and still doing what?
....... burning hydrocarbons.

so much for evolution.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

This car changed my opinion about the potential for electric cars..being a gear head it's all about hp and torque. :mrgreen:
I don't think electric cars will be much of a "thing" outside large metropolitan area's where people buy them for commuting to and from work. At least until battery technology improves a lot.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I'm still driving my Diesel and will continue to do so.
LAB3
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by LAB3 »

dontwantapickle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:37 pm I remember reading that human beings first utilization of a controlled energy source was the cavemans use of fire.

Now, here we are in the age of computers, space flight, Artifical intellegence, etc.....
and still doing what?

so much for evolution.
Cavemen weren't burning hydrocarbons unless it was something oozing out of the ground.

As to what's powering the modern age.... Yeah, that whole fire/steam thing! We have the ability and economic motivation to move beyond that and are making progress. Small scale nuclear has proven itself to be far safer than what came before it and at about $100 million a pop they'll be showing up soon in a town near you where there aren't too many hippies getting in the way. Why we haven't jumped to breeder reactors like the French have is beyond me, they generate 5 grams of waste per person per year that is so depleted of energy they literally put it into the concrete used in the floors of new facilities.

As to electric vehicles, they are being thought of not only as transportation devices but also their energy storage capacity. We've been hearing for quite awhile now how our national grid needs to be rebuilt and that opens up a huge can of worms. The majority of the grid isn't publicly owned, getting it's modernization going without an economic incentive to do so is nearly impossible. So how do you get it done? Government intervention! That'll go over like a lead balloon politically....

Microgrids are where we're headed and having your car plugged in can act as a power storage device for that microgrid. It could be your own solar panels or wind generator at home, a canopy covered with solar panels in a parking lot at work or virtually any other place that generates it's own juice or requires back up storage of some sort. Now some folks might say "An electric car doesn't serve all my needs" so you give that car an additional need. A Goldwing doesn't do a very good job at towing a fishing boat but we can justify having another vehicle to do THAT, right?
It is no good measure of health to be considered well adjusted while living in a sick culture

Any old soul is worth saving, at least to a priest. But not every soul is worth purchasing, so you take the offer as a compliment
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

A childhood friend of mine who grew up to become a mechanic at a Toronto Honda dealer for many years once told me about a customer of theirs who used to bring his 'Wing in for servicing before he towed a sailboat to the east coast behind it every summer for years....
LAB3
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by LAB3 »

I know a guy who towed a Suzuki 125 dirt bike behind a Suzuki gs450 on a HF trailer from Detroit to San Francisco two years ago. Also know another guy who towed a canoe behind his Shovelhead dresser, question is, will YOU or the general public be willing normalize doing that?
It is no good measure of health to be considered well adjusted while living in a sick culture

Any old soul is worth saving, at least to a priest. But not every soul is worth purchasing, so you take the offer as a compliment
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't drive anything bigger than a sidecar outfit so things like that are more normal to me than to most.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

LAB3 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:36 am
dontwantapickle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:37 pm I remember reading that human beings first utilization of a controlled energy source was the cavemans use of fire.

and still doing what?

so much for evolution.
Cavemen weren't burning hydrocarbons unless it was something oozing out of the ground.
When in doubt... google it.
"The Science Behind It. Most of what is burning when you use logs are “volatile hydrocarbons”. These take the form of tars, creosote and resins etc. They constitute about 70 – 80% of the available heat energy and are an excellent fuel."
LAB3
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by LAB3 »

Looks like you got me on that one! It's too bad Alex Trebek is dead.....

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

We had a guy here a couple years back attempting to build a bike to run on wood gasification. It was done in the depression and WW2. I never saw his final result.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi