When is a motorcycle a car.

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: When is a motorcycle a car.

Post by Old Fogey »

rcmatt007 wrote: Interesting... the reason Morgan made three wheelers in England was it was a MC and therefore taxed at a much cheaper rate.
The other reason was that they could be driven on a motorcycle driving license.

Way back, probably stopped in the late 20s , there was a cyclecar designation both here and in the States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclecar
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Old Fogey wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote: Interesting... the reason Morgan made three wheelers in England was it was a MC and therefore taxed at a much cheaper rate.
The other reason was that they could be driven on a motorcycle driving license.

Way back, probably stopped in the late 20s , there was a cyclecar designation both here and in the States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclecar
They have shown a few on American Pickers.

Most had Indian Fours in them.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

morgans almost always had V-twins not fours. Morgan never made their own motor. I saw one recently from the 30's with a JAP v-twin
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

An uncle had one with a Matchless V twin, not sure what year as I was just a small child, but probably 20s or early 30s. I do remember it was a very handsome engine.
Just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcITHevPrc

The Model F 3 wheeler used the 10hp Ford four cylinder flathead, same engine as in the Model Y Ford my father ran
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

Sidecar Bob wrote:From what I have read some states have introduced a new vehicle classification for vehicles with 3 wheels and a steering wheel. IIRC, they are calling them cyclecars or something like that.
I knew the day was coming sooner or later. we are required in WA state to have an additional endorsement, above & beyond "motorcycle", for trike or sidecar.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Personally, I think that is a good idea.

Most places have treated a sidecar outfit as a bike with an accessory instead of a different type of vehicle altogether when they really aren't. I have said many times that a sidecar outfit is as different from a car as a bike is and as different from a bike as a car is. Expecting that someone with a bike license has the necessary skills for a sidecar outfit just doesn't make sense.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

why the heck can someone drive a 60' motorhome down the road with just a standard license.... just saying.... rant over
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Exactly.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

rcmatt007 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:55 pm why the heck can someone drive a 60' motorhome down the road with just a standard license.... just saying.... rant over
Not possible to do that over here:

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM)(Just over 8 tons). View your driving licence information to check.
You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).
You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500kg (about 3.5 tons).