Why do you own a Naked Gold Wing?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

CYBORG

Re: Why do you own a Naked Gold Wing?

Post by CYBORG »

M y 78 is very quit, and I like it that way. Especially on long trips
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Graham Cracker »

rcmatt007 wrote:
Graham Cracker wrote:Did someone mention they are QUIET?
in 78 they made them a bit louder.... lots of complaints about the quiet lolol

and mine was never naked.... just been in 40+ states and several provinceds
The 78/79s have just the right amount of “growl” to them. Can’t imagine complaints about “quiet”...I like it that way too
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I sort of fell into 'Wing ownership. If you told me I'd not only have a "LeadWing" but have the same one for 22 years & counting during the first few years I had bikes I'd have laughed you out of the room. I was quite happy with my GS400, even after I added a sidecar (the only thing I didn't like was that road salt ate drive chains). A friend had a Dnepr he wanted to sell and it seemed perfect for winter and I could sell the sidecar from the 400 and keep the Suzuki for summer. But keeping a Soviet bike running before the Internet was a daunting proposal. I somehow managed to find someone that had a business installing a BMW engines in Dneprs; That was a vast improvement (150cc smaller, 13 years older, 7 more HP) but when a main bearing in that failed a few months later I was told "You can't even pronounce the German word for main bearing without a special tool".

Around that time I stopped in at a local bike shop and the guy there said "someone traded in a bike and every time I look at it I think it would be great for you". It turned out to be a then 14 year old '77 GL1000. And he was right, it was a perfect match for the Dnepr's sidecar. And when its engine developed problems a couple of years later it was much easier to find a good used 'Wing engine that I could install myself than getting parts for the Dnepr was.

5 years into owning the 'Wing someone in a car turned left across my path and wrote it off. I bought the wreck because I wanted some of the parts to use on whatever I replaced it with (turned out to be another GS400 that someone gave me but when I got fed up with chain drives I replaced that with a GL500). While I was recovering from the accident (broken wrist) someone said "You need to talk to Dave. He has a GoldWing with a seized engine and you have an engine with a seized GoldWing." and I ended up bringing home the hulk that would become my summer machine (AKA Mr.H) that I still have almost 22 years later.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

You never forget the first time you ride a Goldwing. For me that was in September 1976. The ride was on my buddy's maroon '76. After that I went through a '77 CB750F and then a '74 CB750K. At that time there was no other bike that compared to a Goldwing. In '82 I bought the '81. It was born naked and it will stay that way. Besides, I need a naked to go with the '85 Interstate.
"If everything is under control you are not going fast enough" - Mairo Andretti

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

I don't know about owning a naked gold wing. I swear that the bike owns me. It is a $300.00 barn find that a buddy found when he was buying a British bike. Cute cosmetically and the frame is solid, so I took a chance. It is missing a few parts and had ancient newsprint from 15 years ago wrapped around some of its parts. When I did compression checks, I thought that it was a paper weight, but a few adjustments later, all cylinders are at 150PSI. I am trying to retire, but some nice clients keep me working for a bit longer, so the bike is sitting for a bit longer.

Then another buddy insisted i look at an Aspy from 1984.This bike is gorgeous for its age and at a price that I could not pass up. The way it rides and all that power should make me want to sell the project bike, but I swear i just want the GL1000 just as bad as before. Like i said, these bikes own you.

None of that would make sense to most people, but I bet you guys understand
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Oldboy wrote:Bought a bagger, fixed it all up, looking for something else to do, Saw Octane's build......the rest is history.....except I have 2 nudies..
I see a reoccurring theme here. lol
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

The Bulldog chased quite a few people our way ....

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Acquired my first wing over 10yrs ago. To be honest I didn't really take it seriously as it sat in the corner of my shop. Little by little (with thanks to this site), I picked at it and was soon hooked by its genius. From there nights were spent working on and admiring '..how they did that !'... All this before I ever rode one!

So when I rode it around the block for the first time...OMG! What have I missed? Unbelievable! I love it!!

(side note) I Remember when they first came out (at that time I had a Harley and a CB750K) I was appalled at how HUGE they were and I thought they just ripped off BMW ( :IDTS: :IDTS: ). I was sooo wrong.

Now some years later I have more 'Wings than a sane person should have. Have gagle of great new friends and experiences.
DSC00800.JPG
DSC00800.JPG (176.32 KiB) Viewed 321 times
DSC02235.JPG
DSC02235.JPG (75.37 KiB) Viewed 321 times
DSC00442.jpg
DSC00442.jpg (112.15 KiB) Viewed 321 times
DSC00895.jpg
DSC00895.jpg (133.58 KiB) Viewed 321 times
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

wow those pictures are a few trips down memory lane
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

Loved the 1st Wing I ever saw in '77 and knew I had to have one. Rode with this guy we met who had one while on our way to Los Angeles from Montreal via Vancouver. Custom paint job so I had no idea what it was at first. Was 20 years later when I
bought my 78 Wing, and then a 79 Wing and then an 84 Aspy. Traded the Aspencade in for the naked Valkyrie because
I don't like tupperware, hence just naked bikes.
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

ooh, not sure where to start. I came across an article in Mech Illustrated in '83,
IMG_20190126_120312.jpg
IMG_20190126_120312.jpg (121.6 KiB) Viewed 238 times
for a tadpole, or reverse, trike built on a 'big-bore' bike. they used a KZ1000. I knew a little bit about GoldWings, specifically they have a shaft drive & thought, "less maintenance and good power to weight ratio," one of those would be perfect for this. I also knew a little bit about flat fours having owned two VW Beetles.
so 11 years later I bought one used. ended up riding it for a year or so then took it to a tech school to have the motorcycle mechanics class go through it completely.
besides breaking a belt cover, it ran really rough after they were done, then died six months later. I didn't have the skills then to do anything with it so I dragged it around with me for another 15 years. it got water in the cylinders, collected moss & algae etc, etc. then I bought a runner in South PDX, OR. it was so much fun to ride I figured I needed another one to turn into a trike and keep one to ride.
but then I found one for a hundred bucks at an auction...
then one of the members on here who was local needed to get rid of his...
then I thought that a 1200 would be perfect for a trike...
then SOMEbody found me a 1500 with reverse that's in pieces... hey, it's already mostly disassembled for my trike.

uh, is that six or seven? whatever I still have them all.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
alexanderherder
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by alexanderherder »

Hi There.
Why i own a naked Goldwing? When i was eighteen i bought my first GL1000 and i still got it. i am now in the 40's. Just the looks and the sound of the flat four give me goose bumbs everytime. At the time i was 12 my neighbours drove GL's and i loved them. Than my neighbour said ; I found a bike for you so i went to the shop nearly 18 years old and bought my first GL1000. At that time i was the youngest Gl1000 drive and owner in the Netherlands. The Years after i had some 1200's and 1500's lover the flat six sound. The last 4 years i started to build a caferacer and man!!! what a great bike https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=66452

Greetz Alexander
Recent collection goldwings
GL1000 k2
Gl1000 k2 cafebike Desi...
Gl1200 aspencade '84 made naked
Gl1200 Interstate '86 ( for sale )
Gl1500 '89

http://www.cafebike.nl
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

I stared at my buddy’s blue 75 for 4 days on a road trip to Vegas back in 1978. Super smooth, powerful and comfortable motorcycles. Even a ham fisted person can maintain them with the help of naked goldwing club!
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I saw my very first wing in the flesh sometime in the seventies. It was red and it was huge. I was fascinated by the flat 4 engine and the choke was a pull out mounted on the dash. I was only about 16 at the time, never thought I would ever have one.
heli_madken
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by heli_madken »

I was on holiday in 77 camping down in Cornwall UK on my 400/4, one day I heard a really nice mechanical noise and looked up to see a GL1000 coming on to the site and to my delight the owner and his girlfriend pitched their tent next to mine.

We got on like a house on fire and traded bikes throughout the holiday, Barry actually liked the nimbleness of the 400 and I just loved riding his GoldWing.

So much that I saved up and took delivery of a K2 the following year. Rode her through to 83 when stupidly I sold her because my then girlfriend didnt like bikes.

My bike still exists and i have tried very hard over the last few years to trace the owner but have given up now and bought a beautiful fully restored K2 which I love.

To me that mix of mechanical engineering superiority together with 1970's 'proper bike' looks is to die for