Why do you own a Naked Gold Wing?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Aberdale
Brass Member
Brass Member

Why do you own a Naked Gold Wing?

Post by Aberdale »

I own several different bikes, and generally enjoy them all. I tend to gravitate to older bikes because I refuse to spend upwards of $10,000 (or even much, much more) on a new one, only to be beholding to the dealership service department because many new bikes require special diagnostics equipment to work on them.

I like machines that are reasonably priced, and that I can work on myself. It helps if they're fun to ride and look good, too. :lol:

For me, I recently acquired a 1976 GL1000 because I stumbled across it on Craigslist and was looking for a winter project. There were several reasons this bike appealed to me. First, it looked complete and was relatively cheap. Second, it was close to home. Third, my dad owned a 1976 GW when I was in high school. And lastly, with the engine stuck, the brakes seized, and 35 years of dirt and corrosion it looked like a challenge to see if I could bring it back to life. (A couple winters ago, I restored a 1970 CB450 that was in similar condition, and enjoyed doing it, and the end result.)

After 3 weeks (much shorter than I expected), the GL is running, and is looking far better than I expected. But now that it's close to finished, I've been admiring all of the design, engineering and style that went into this machine back in the mid '70s. I've never worked on a GW before, and I was pleasantly surprised how simple and straightforward it's been to work on, and the quality of the materials (lots of steel and aluminum, and minimum of plastics).

So, I'm curious why others on this forum decided on a naked GW (or multiple GWs), when there's tons of other bikes out there to consider? What attracted you to them in the first place?

'dale
I'd rather be lucky than good lookin'.

1970 Honda CB450
1976 Honda GL1000
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1981 Yamaha SR500
1972 BMW R75/5 Toaster
1978 BMW R100S
1982 BMW R100RS
1987 BMW R80RT
1989 BMW K100RS
1991 BMW K1
1987 Harley Davidson Tour Glide
1990 Harley Davidson Heritage Softtail
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why do you own a Naked Gold Wing?

Post by delling3 »

I have owned two Goldwings, the first a '76 and the second a '78. I was drawn to this model for many reasons, but most notable was the engine. I just have always loved the look of the horizontally opposed flat four. I also have a soft spot in my heart for the boxer twins from BMW - same reason I guess.

The Wing is also a "big" bike. As a "big" guy, it just seemed to fit me better.

Finally the classic styling drew me in - much like a CB750, the early Goldwings just look like what a motorcycle is supposed to look (to me).
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Value ....

Gord :-D
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sandy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sandy »

Owned the 76 wing since new.
Cannot see the point of mortgaging the house to replace something that continues to operate and perform close to the current crop of machines out there.
After 43 years with the same bike (and others of the same year make and model) you kind of get accustom to the way it works and in most cases can feel something that is going to need attention before it needs attention.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

First off, I don't think I'm EVER going to own a vehicle newer than like 10 years old. Mostly because I'm poor, and while the cost of things drops off pretty quickly, the actual value of ownership sticks around a while.

As far as bikes go, the 70s are kind of that sweet spot for me between availability/affordability and visual style preference- in the late 70s/early 80s motorcycles started going with the more "broken back" chopper look, where you sit down inside the bike rather than on top of it. Compare the Standard and Special looks of the Yamaha XS1100, and you see what I mean. Because, IMO, the most beautiful distance between two points is a straight line, once you get these swoopy, exaggerated curves, I'm out.

As for why I own a Goldwing specifically? That, I'll admit, is because of that little bit of hipster in me. It's the sheer audacity of owning a Goldwing, but NOT something that everyone automatically thinks it is. I also like everything I own to have a bit of a uniqueness to it, and a bike fitted with a flat-4 certainly fits the bill.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Lucien Harpress wrote:First off, I don't think I'm EVER going to own a vehicle newer than like 10 years old. Mostly because I'm poor, and while the cost of things drops off pretty quickly, the actual value of ownership sticks around a while.

As far as bikes go, the 70s are kind of that sweet spot for me between availability/affordability and visual style preference- in the late 70s/early 80s motorcycles started going with the more "broken back" chopper look, where you sit down inside the bike rather than on top of it. Compare the Standard and Special looks of the Yamaha XS1100, and you see what I mean. Because, IMO, the most beautiful distance between two points is a straight line, once you get these swoopy, exaggerated curves, I'm out.

As for why I own a Goldwing specifically? That, I'll admit, is because of that little bit of hipster in me. It's the sheer audacity of owning a Goldwing, but NOT something that everyone automatically thinks it is. I also like everything I own to have a bit of a uniqueness to it, and a bike fitted with a flat-4 certainly fits the bill.
What he said crossy.gif crossy.gif crossy.gif crossy.gif
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Graham Cracker »

RAT wrote:Value ....

Gord :-D
I'm with you on this one for sure. Where else can one find that much motorcycle for the relatively low price they sell for. Even after the obligatory "refresh" costs of brakes, tires, carb work and such, they are IMHO just plain awesome. Like you, "dale, I hate to depend on dealerships and other shops for help unless it's an extreme last resort. Oh, and they are sooo QUIET!
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

I own a "Naked Goldfish... :-D " Does that count?

Seriously though I think the price is foremost for me too, then the smoothness of the engine and power of the bike overall. Ride comfort is good especially with a Corbin seat on them.
I have one of each generation of the four cylinders with the GL 1200 my favourite one for the overall improvements and refinements that were made over the two previous models.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

My first one came from Dad. I was with him the day he bought it new in 78. He had moved on to several newer Wings but always kept the first one. He would get it out 3 or 4 times a year and take it for a short ride. I got tired of seeing it sit and made him an offer. That was in 04 I think. Have had close to a dozen since then.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I also love the horizontal designs. Been a VW guy forever.

But i seriously agree with the value notion. Lotta bang for your buck here...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

This is the only reason I own a wing. I've only been riding for a couple of years.
I can't even remember how I found the pic of this bike but I immediately thought..I want to build a wing..
So Octane, if you are reading this..my wife would like to speak to you about the 3 goldwings in the shed. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Goldwing-2.jpg
Goldwing-2.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 308 times
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
ancientdad
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by ancientdad »

Lucien Harpress wrote:First off, I don't think I'm EVER going to own a vehicle newer than like 10 years old. Mostly because I'm poor, and while the cost of things drops off pretty quickly, the actual value of ownership sticks around a while.
Amen.
Lucien Harpress wrote:As far as bikes go, the 70s are kind of that sweet spot for me between availability/affordability and visual style preference- in the late 70s/early 80s motorcycles started going with the more "broken back" chopper look, where you sit down inside the bike rather than on top of it. Compare the Standard and Special looks of the Yamaha XS1100, and you see what I mean.
Completely agree - when the "chopper-style" cruiser fad came along, it was nearly disgusting to me... many bikes that were previously "regular" bikes were turned into cruisers to fit the fad. I actually own one now that is closer to its brother than I wish it was - the VF1100S, with the same forks and rake as the Magna, and everyone comments on it - but I wanted something different (and fast) when I bought it used as I'd already had many of the common, regular bikes prior. Which leads me to agree with your next statement too...
Lucien Harpress wrote:I also like everything I own to have a bit of a uniqueness to it, and a bike fitted with a flat-4 certainly fits the bill.
anim-cheers1
'73 CL450K5 brat
'84 VF1100S naked
among past rides
'79 and '80 CBXs
'75 and '76 GL1000s
(2) '73 CB750K3, '78 CB750K8/F2
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I did not buy a gold wing to be naked. In 1978 I bought the best touring motorcycle on the market. I added a fairing and bags. In the summer of 79 we took it on a 5,000 + mile trip, which was the first of annual trips on the bike. The 78 had two different sidecars over time as our family grew. In 1988 we bought a new 1200 which then became the sidecar bike. We still go on trips on motorcycles.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
eades473
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by eades473 »

I bought mine from a friend that had it and stopped riding it. Left it sit in a barn for years, took several years for me to talk him into selling it to me. He has since died (cancer) and so I keep it as a reminder of our friendship that started in junior high.
riding the **** out of it!
1977 Naked
2012 Ultra Classic Limited
1999 Valkyrie
1981 Shovelhead springer
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

I listened to my elder brother reminicing about his GWs from the old days too much. Then by a cident met a fella at work that had a basket case for sale. The rest is history, like my bank account. It was not easy, but not the bikes fault. I'm ham fisted and a slow learner this being my first MC.
I am now up to having owned three mc.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone