GL1100 engine siezure

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

ancientdad
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: GL1100 engine siezure

Post by ancientdad »

JamesPal wrote:
ancientdad wrote:
ericheath wrote:Well the ultimate bamboozle here a few years ago was a guy who bought a running bike. It was running rough, checked compression and zero on a cylinder. Pulled the head and the motor had been disassembled, a piston removed, reassembled with no piston or rod, and sold as a runner.

You never no.
Wow - that took some serious cojones. My Dad told me of a car engine (straight 8) that he worked on back in the day that had been done like that, but a bike... man. :x
Tom, good to see you. Back in the day my dad had to pull a piston out of his Model T. He said it ran a little rough but he drove it around for a few months. At 20 HP on a good day, I'm not sure how much was left on 3 cylinders.

I cannot imagine anyone going to the trouble of taking a piton and rod out of a Goldwing engine and putting it back together.
Jim, I think at 20 hp, the less it had the less there was to lose... yeah, me getting here was a twist of fate that came from the VJMC get-together last Sunday and me seeing Wog's bike there. He joined at HT too, but as of a little while ago he hadn't posted yet. Good to see you too, Jim - but I should have guessed you'd be here. :)
'73 CL450K5 brat
'84 VF1100S naked
among past rides
'79 and '80 CBXs
'75 and '76 GL1000s
(2) '73 CB750K3, '78 CB750K8/F2
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL1100 engine siezure

Post by ericheath »

A few years ago it was asked here if the gl1000 could run decently on two cylinders rather than four to qualify for an endurance race for 500cc bikes. I don’t recall if there was a consensus or if it was followed through on.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi

Return to “General Motorcycle Forum”