Tires In Detail

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Tires In Detail

Post by Solina Dave »

I spotted this very comprehensive article on motorcycle tires that you may find quite interesting.
https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/truth-about-treads

:crosso Ride safely.................Dave :-D
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Tires In Detail

Post by chewy999 »

Interesting article, makes me wonder why people fit a wider tyre (tire) than the size designed for the wheel.
You can play around a little but remember that it is only a small area in contact with the road.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

chewy999 wrote:Interesting article, makes me wonder why people fit a wider tyre (tire) than the size designed for the wheel.
You can play around a little but remember that it is only a small area in contact with the road.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
I say that all the time. :orange
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Me too. I also end up telling people that the number on the tire is the tire's maximum pressure, NOT the pressure they should run their tires at a lot.

I should qualify that, though, by saying that when you add a sidecar it all changes. I run tires on the front and sidecar wheels that would be considered too narrow for the rims on 2 wheels to get a nice flat profile (wears better) and a square profile Shinko 240 on the rear of Mr.H. The 4.50 knobby I run on Eccles is really a bit too wide for the rim but I've been running that size for a decade with no problems and it is after all for winter.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

Congratulations on winning BOTM Bob. A fine looking machine. And obviously a huge part of your life. anim-cheers1
Sidecar Bob wrote:Me too. I also end up telling people that the number on the tire is the tire's maximum pressure, NOT the pressure they should run their tires at a lot.
Absolutely Bob. That's why it says for example "Max. Load 805 lbs. at 42 psi. Cold". Everybody should understand that this is the maximum air pressure, that the tire manufacturer is specifying can be applied to that tire, before there's a risk of failure. Anything in excess of that, you're on your own. Right?
So having said that, if one is going to acknowledge that the tire manufacturer knows what's best, why isn't it also acknowledged that the motorcycle manufacturer knows what's best, when they specify certain tire air pressures in their owners manual? For example, my '78 GL owners manual states, "Correct tire inflation pressure will provide best road stability and riding comfort as well as longest tire life. Cold Pressure: Driver only: front-28 psi. rear-32 psi. and Driver plus one passenger: front 28 psi. rear 40 psi."
It always seems to me that many riders, especially motorcycle forum subscribers, claim that they know more about what tire pressure should be applied, than the guy who designed the motorcycle in the first place. And that includes me. Although I'm not sure why that's the case. And it disturbs me!!

Cheers anim-cheers1 ........Dave
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"