Lane splitting in California

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Lane splitting in California

Post by rcmatt007 »

having done a body slam to the pavement once (not from lane splitting or filtering) I would rather not experience that again
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

rcmatt007 wrote:having done a body slam to the pavement once (not from lane splitting or filtering) I would rather not experience that again
Ouch!

Yeah, I've low sided and been rear ended. Not fun. But that's why ATGATT. dancr
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

I live in Michigan, where lane splitting/filtering is expressly against the law.

I do go to Cali a couple times a year for work, and I freak out the first time a bike zips by me on the freeway. I would venture to guess that people from out of state are one of the biggest threats to lane-splitters - we just aren't used to bikes occupying that space.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

delling3 wrote:I live in Michigan, where lane splitting/filtering is expressly against the law.

I do go to Cali a couple times a year for work, and I freak out the first time a bike zips by me on the freeway. I would venture to guess that people from out of state are one of the biggest threats to lane-splitters - we just aren't used to bikes occupying that space.
Yup. I learned to stay away from out of state plate cars when filtering. They always flip me off. Oh well.

To each his or her own. I have no problem if you don't wanna filter. Just don't stop the rest of us from doing it. And accept all consequences.
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

x01660 wrote:
CYBORG wrote: I hear what your saying. I lived in Ca. for many years. Both north of San Francisco and in the Long Beach area. Saw more then once when it did not turn out well for the biker. I feel that bikers that respect car drivers, get respect from them.

THIS x1000!!!

I watch a lot of "Angry drivers vs bikers" and "Crazy motorycle crashes" videos online, and 9 times out of 10, the confrontation and/or crash is caused by some jackass on a bike doing something stupid or dangerous.

Do you really expect to not be confronted when you blow through stopped traffic at 40 mph while doing a wheelie?

:-?
action1 action1
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

scootsx2 wrote:
I like the term filtering also. It's where Darwin filters out the dummies.". Imho
It also creates a potential pool of organ donors.
one of my best friends is a nurse, she worked at LA county for years, & she refers to my motorcycle as the "organ donor machine".
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

I have yet to find the RCW, but evidently WA state is currently in some interim period of testing this with MANY restrictions and stipulations. problem is; no one knows about it so all the cagers get mad.
stipulations being:
only to the left of the passing lane ("fast" lane), on or near the breakdown lane (median shoulder)
no more than 10mph faster than slow moving traffic
and maximum speed of 25mph

that's all I know.
Last edited by heraldhamster on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

heraldhamster wrote:
scootsx2 wrote:
I like the term filtering also. It's where Darwin filters out the dummies.". Imho
It also creates a potential pool of organ donors.
one of my best friends is a nurse, she worked at LA county for years, & she refers to my motorcycle as the "organ donor machine".
A local nurse simply called mine a 'donercycle'...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

For a long time after accident my doctor kept asking me when I was going to stop riding bikes with the stance that it is very dangerous. For a long time I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking if he was thinking of quitting cars after his latest accident. One day I sat down with him and explained that 1) A sidecar outfit is far safer than a car when the road is slippery and 2) I had only had one accident in nearly 3 decades on bikes but most car drivers have at least a couple of accidents per decade (I didn't mention that he had written off 2 cars in the previous 5 years). Then I told him I would take him for a ride in the sidecar one day. I think he's too scared of actually having a motorcycle ride because he hasn't brought up the subject lately.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:For a long time after accident my doctor kept asking me when I was going to stop riding bikes with the stance that it is very dangerous.
About 6 months after some major spinal surgery in 2016 the neurosurgeon told me it was OK to resume my normal activities. I specifically asked about bicycles and motorcycles. He said something to the effect of "as a neurosurgeon I would prefer that you not ride motorcycles". I'm sure he has seen some very traumatic injuries from motorcycle-related crashes.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I work in a large Trauma Centre Fracture Clinic .... I jokingly claim that I won’t treat motorcycle injuries because they make me nervous .... but actually what they do is make me extremely careful on my bike ....

Gord crossy.gif :-D crossy.gif :-D
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

RAT wrote:I work in a large Trauma Centre Fracture Clinic .... I jokingly claim that I won’t treat motorcycle injuries because they make me nervous .... but actually what they do is make me extremely careful on my bike ....

Gord crossy.gif :-D crossy.gif :-D
The problem is that we can be as careful as possible and then that nitwit turns left in front of you.

I ride both a mc and a bicycle and it happens 10x more on a bicycle.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I lost the end of a finger at work a few years ago. WSIB required me to see a plastic surgeon at a big hospital to confirm that everything was OK before I could return to work (she said she hadn't seen many fingertip amputations that were sewn up as well as mine) and have a preliminary physio appointment while I was there to get me started before I began seeing the local physio. When the therapist asked me what kind of things I had been doing that used that finger I listed off a few things like typing on the computer &c "and I've been squeezing the clutch lever when I was out on my motorcycle a few times." She grinned and said "Working the clutch should be one of the best exercises you can do" and started asking about my bike. And telling me about hers :-D :-D :-D
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

when I was in the ER in Tulsa with a broken clavicle and dislocated right thumb the first thing the Doc said was, "I like motorcyclists, that is how I make a living". By this time all the nurses knew I was a physician. My response was to say, "Smart ass ER doc". The nurses all were laughing
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I heard a statistic many years ago that, in terms of accidents per million KM travelled, you are less likely to be involved in an accident on a bike (I believe this has to do with being able to avoid collisions better on bikes) than in a car BUT in terms of sever injuries per million accidents you are more likely to be severely injured in a bike accident than in a car accident. As I understood it at the time they more or less cancelled out so that severe injuries per million Km were about the same for cars and bikes.