Asbestos exposure

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

macvit7906
Brass Member
Brass Member

Asbestos exposure

Post by macvit7906 »

Hi All,

Need your input before I drive myself crazy. I've been restoring a 1984 GL1200 Standard (USA) for the last few months. I pulled the engine and I have replaced all gaskets.

After rebuilding the Golding I realized, some of these gaskets could have had asbestos. My question is, what is the likelihood I was exposed to asbestos from the gaskets? I was in my garage, with the door open always, so well ventilated, but still...

Did the head gaskets contain asbestos? I know the header gaskets might but I haven't touched them yet.

Thanks!
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Asbestos exposure

Post by pidjones »

Really? Do you plan to ride that motorcycle? THAT is a hazard to worry about (and, you are modifying the steering geometry at that). Asbestosis is contracted from prolonged exposure to heavy amounts of airborne asbestos fibers. About the only vehicle repair people that were at risk were those that rebuilt the old asbestos drum brakes and blew the dust out with compressed air. As long as you don't grind on the gaskets and then inhale airborne dust, you should be fine. Even then, the amount inhaled would not be enough to cause the disease. The people that get it spent years in the industries that used it and were heavily exposed.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yea the risk is real but over inflated dramatically. Biggest thing is to keep the dust down. I have scraped up many asbestos floors and undone pipe wraps and other stuff just keep things damp with a spray bottle and don't inhale the dust. I expect I will die from Lung cancer but from 40 years of smoking not asbestos.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

I worked for 28.5 years in an Aluminium mill.
Every pipe and anything coming remotely close to extreme heat (we were melting at over 1300°F) was wrapped or crammed full of asbestos. I was in the facility for 25 years when an asbestos abatement program began.
I think you're safe...

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
macvit7906
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by macvit7906 »

pidjones wrote:Really? Do you plan to ride that motorcycle? THAT is a hazard to worry about (and, you are modifying the steering geometry at that). Asbestosis is contracted from prolonged exposure to heavy amounts of airborne asbestos fibers. About the only vehicle repair people that were at risk were those that rebuilt the old asbestos drum brakes and blew the dust out with compressed air. As long as you don't grind on the gaskets and then inhale airborne dust, you should be fine. Even then, the amount inhaled would not be enough to cause the disease. The people that get it spent years in the industries that used it and were heavily exposed.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the asbestos.....

Originally I thought I was going to modify steering and all that but I have just restored her to original condition. I dont plan on doing wheelies LOL think I'll be alright.
n5zhu
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by n5zhu »

I spent years doing brakes on chevy cars and trucks in the late 60's and I blew the dust off into the air and not hurt yet, may have doged a bullet.
In the sticks So. of Heneryetta OK
1992 Suzuti VX800 Gone Traded for 2nd 78 GL1000
1978 GL1000 X2 1 Up and Runing 1 to go in the shop for work
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

When I was in primary school they gave us asbestos based modelling clay in art class and like every other young kid I tasted it. I just turned 65 and I'm still here.....

Of course, it was wet when we gt our grubby little hands on it but I'm pretty sure the teachers had to mix it from powder.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Its getting so that it's down right dangerous to live. LOL
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

You should treat asbestos with respect, but as has been said, it is mainly dangerous when you cut it up and there are airborne particles to breathe in. Just keep damping down.

Years ago when I was in the RAF, we used to manufacture hydraulic hoses for the Hercules. We also made some for Rolls Royce aircraft engines. Where the hoses were exposed to heat, we had asbestos sleeve to go over the hoses and secured with clamps. Once the asbestos sleeve had been cut to length, the ends were dipped in a rubber like solution, (actually called End Dip, clues in the title), and then fitted. For some reason we had a period where we could not get this End Dip, it was like hen's teeth, rocking horse poo etc etc, so the hoses requiring the asbestos sleeve built up to quite a pile on the shelf.

Then the Falklands War started and you could order ANYTHING, and get it quickly, so we ordered a few cans of end dip, finished off the hoses for Rolls Royce, sent them off and patted ourselves on the back.

Months later, we had a visit to our work bay from the Rolls Royce rep, who seemed quite interested in the way we worked, both for the RAF and Rolls Royce. He then noticed some hoses on the shelf ready to go to Rolls Royce, complete with asbestos sleeves fitted, and we were amazed, gobsmacked, positively peeved, jacked off (you get what I'm saying) after all the trouble we'd had with End Dip supplies, when he said something like,

'I wish you wouldn't fit the sleeve, as the first thing we (Rolls Royce) do when we receive the hoses is to cut it off and throw it away. It is asbestos you know!' :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Think that is called a breakdown in communication!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

77Gowing wrote:Its getting so that it's down right dangerous to live. LOL

lolol
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

It isn't more dangerous now, we just know more about it.

And that isn't new. Even in the '70s we were becoming aware of the dangers around us. Watch from 8:35
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

The tiny airborne particles are the thing to avoid, don't remove gaskets with a wire wheel. It's still all around us. 8X8 floor tiles are almost all asbestos as is the cement holding them to the floor. Building materials, plaster, etc. As long as it's not fryable (dust) it's not as dangerous.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

A bunch of tuff guys here! Asbestos scares me. There I admitted it.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Gowing wrote:A bunch of tuff guys here! Asbestos scares me. There I admitted it.
False positive results in you looking like a fool when you jump away from the wind rustled leaves that you thought was a lion

False negative results in you ending up as food for the lion

I'd rather be a fool than food.

Gowing, I call your apprehension prescient....

dancr
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

We aren't tough, we just weren't told it was bad for us. On the other hand, we also listened when they said that asbestos isn't terribly harmful except as fibres that can be inhaled so we don't "jump" whenever we hear the word asbestos.

Going back to the original question, that means that unless you grind them to dust asbestos in gaskets is not likely to do you any harm.

Brake dust from pads that contain asbestos on the other hand.....

Return to “General Motorcycle Forum”