Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Post by Sidecar Bob »

^^^^^ :happy_251:

Yeah, Harley boots are nice. They used to be ordinary HH Brown 11" cavalry type boots (AKA "snoot boots" because of the square toes), exactly the same as HH sold under their own name except for the Harley logo on the bottom of their heels. I know that because I was buying HH boots at a local work wear place one time and some of the ones they had were in HH Brown boxes but had the HD logos on the heels.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

just my .02... YMMV,

my HD experience is the people, not ALL Harley riders, who look down on other brand riders. as in, if it's not a Harley it's not a motorcycle or a real bike. I know several guys who absolutely refuse to ride if it's not a Harley. and I've offered to give them a GoldWing & fer couple of hundred bux they'd be knees in the breeze. but, sadly, no. whatev, d00d.
and these same folks refuse to ride in the rain, or if it's too cold, or if they don't have branded gear. but they'll ride all day long with a potato chip on top & sneakers on the bottoms. go figure. (I felt weird & honestly a leetle anxious riding in SD w/o a helmet)

I like peeps who like riding. I do not care what they ride.
but it seems some guys & gals out there, for some reason, care about what I ride. I don't care for them.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

I have a Harley Road King and I did up an 82 GL1100 as a sort of cafe racer last winter. I love both the bikes. There is something special about the Harley to me. But I'm not a brand loyalist and rode them about an equal amount this summer. I can tell you which one attracts more attention when you get around a group of bikers though. It's not the Harley.
Attachments
20181022_195738.jpg
20181022_195738.jpg (84.44 KiB) Viewed 301 times
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

Boxer4 wrote:I have a Harley Road King and I did up an 82 GL1100 as a sort of cafe racer last winter. I love both the bikes. There is something special about the Harley to me. But I'm not a brand loyalist and rode them about an equal amount this summer. I can tell you which one attracts more attention when you get around a group of bikers though. It's not the Harley.
I hear you Boxer,
Recently I parked in a Tim Hortons lot and went inside for a coffee. When I came out there was about eight Harleys parked near me. I love Harleys! Seriously. There they were, all standing around my '78GL, and I was being asked all kinds of questions about it, and being complimented on it. My brother-in-law rides a Harley.
anim-cheers1 ............Dave
River Road (Sept.29,2018).JPG
River Road (Sept.29,2018).JPG (142.54 KiB) Viewed 292 times
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

Solina Dave wrote:
Boxer4 wrote:I have a Harley Road King and I did up an 82 GL1100 as a sort of cafe racer last winter. I love both the bikes. There is something special about the Harley to me. But I'm not a brand loyalist and rode them about an equal amount this summer. I can tell you which one attracts more attention when you get around a group of bikers though. It's not the Harley.
I hear you Boxer,
Recently I parked in a Tim Hortons lot and went inside for a coffee. When I came out there was about eight Harleys parked near me. I love Harleys! Seriously. There they were, all standing around my '78GL, and I was being asked all kinds of questions about it, and being complimented on it. My brother-in-law rides a Harley.
anim-cheers1 ............Dave
River Road (Sept.29,2018).JPG
I ve been keeping an eye out for a 78 or 79, those are my favourites of the old wings. Beautiful bike you have ther.
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

well, 78's ARE the best looking
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

rcmatt007 wrote:well, 78's ARE the best looking
That's what I've been trying to tell them Rodger. :bravo

Dave :stirthepot:
"ASSUME NOTHING"

1st motorcycle-1977 Honda CB550F Super Sport
2nd motorcycle-1978 GL1000

"Not riding a motorcycle is wrong"
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Now the thread's been hijacked ngwsmilie ngwsmilie ngwsmilie

Besides, everyone knows that the 1100s are the best looking
:blast
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

I came out of a convenience/gas station and a bearded, heavy set, fella smoking a cigar, pulled up on his gorgeous
Black harley with the stereo turned up way loud. Those newer Harley’s have fantastic sound systems.
He had one of those club coats on with all kinds of badges on it. What a beautiful machine. All lowered and shineywith just the right amount of chrome. It was impossible not to stare at that bike!
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

it is easy to explain...

Two GOOD LOOKING bikes arriving in Virginia
goodlooking.jpg
goodlooking.jpg (156.13 KiB) Viewed 231 times
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

rcmatt007 wrote:it is easy to explain...

Two GOOD LOOKING bikes arriving in Virginia

goodlooking.jpg
Nice!!!
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

An older brother of mines HD experience was a bit short lived. He bought an XLCR sometime in the early 80's and only rode it a few times before he decided to strip it down to it's frame and restore it, he had gathered all the bits and pieces he needed and got to the point that all he had to do was put it back together but lost interest and sold it in pieces to an HD dealer in Illinois a few years later. With my sister in law pregnant with their first child his priorities changed in fact about that time he sold his Kaw H2 as well. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago he was on a road trip in North Carolina and decided to check out the "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum and while checking out all the cool bikes he recognized the owner of the museum's name, Dale Walksler and asked if he ever had an HD dealership in Illinois and sure enough he once did. My brother then said how he had sold him an XLCR back in the 80's and someone said "we have your bike up in the office" It wasn't necessarily on display on the museum floor but it was at least there and all together.
Attachments
rare odds.jpg
rare odds.jpg (122.08 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Scott
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

JSBail wrote:An older brother of mines HD experience was a bit short lived. He bought an XLCR sometime in the early 80's and only rode it a few times before he decided to strip it down to it's frame and restore it, he had gathered all the bits and pieces he needed and got to the point that all he had to do was put it back together but lost interest and sold it in pieces to an HD dealer in Illinois a few years later. With my sister in law pregnant with their first child his priorities changed in fact about that time he sold his Kaw H2 as well. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago he was on a road trip in North Carolina and decided to check out the "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum and while checking out all the cool bikes he recognized the owner of the museum's name, Dale Walksler and asked if he ever had an HD dealership in Illinois and sure enough he once did. My brother then said how he had sold him an XLCR back in the 80's and someone said "we have your bike up in the office" It wasn't necessarily on display on the museum floor but it was at least there and all together.
wow, THAT's awesome!
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

good story action1 action1 action1 action1
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »