Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Post by desertrefugee »

HOTT (you can tune a motorsykle, but ya' can't tuna fish)
With apologies to REO Speedwagon...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

desertrefugee wrote:
x01660 wrote:My buddy let me borrow his 83 Suzuki GS1100 with an 1150 motor in it...

It also shakes and vibrates and is REALLY loud.
If that Suzuki shakes and vibrates, there's something wrong with it, i.e. it's running like crap. Even built, it should be smooth.
Let me clarify (I was a bit buzzed when I wrote that);

The handlebars and footpegs vibrate a lot compared to a GL. It is butter smooth in terms of the engine operation, but the whole bike is very buzzy, plus there are no vibration dampeners in the handlebar ends.
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

In a word, when buying a HD you are not buying it for the bike. You are buying it for the "sizzle". That is, you are not buying the steak, but for the sizzle. So ask yourself ... do you want to eat or listen. Just my two cents.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

BlueThunder wrote:In a word, when buying a HD you are not buying it for the bike. You are buying it for the "sizzle". That is, you are not buying the steak, but for the sizzle. So ask yourself ... do you want to eat or listen. Just my two cents.
:lol:

I love to eat. I love to listen, too, but selectively. A friend once told me that the ubiquitous tendency of Harley riders to continually blip their throttles is the human equivalent of a gorilla beating its chest. I never forgot that. I actually think he's right. Wonder what Desmond Morris would have to say about that?
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bwaaaahahahahah!
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing
2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4

Secretary Caroline Lodge 681
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

desertrefugee wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:In a word, when buying a HD you are not buying it for the bike. You are buying it for the "sizzle". That is, you are not buying the steak, but for the sizzle. So ask yourself ... do you want to eat or listen. Just my two cents.
:lol:

I love to eat. I love to listen, too, but selectively. A friend once told me that the ubiquitous tendency of Harley riders to continually blip their throttles is the human equivalent of a gorilla beating its chest. I never forgot that. I actually think he's right. Wonder what Desmond Morris would have to say about that?
I always thought they did that because the thing has a really lopy idle and if they don't blip the throttle, the bike will stall when they go to take off....

lolol
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

This just keeps getting better.....To each his own.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I just love seeing all the myths.... look at the MRSP of a GL1800 and the MRSP of e.g. a Road King. And we blip the throttle "because we can"
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Gashog
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Gashog »

I have owned, Honda, Ducati, BSA, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Harley. Wouldn't dare try to explain any of them. You either like 'em or you don't. Never thought about image on any of them. I just like things with motors on them. All kinds of motors. I like old stuff with motors most. Right now I own a 1978 Shovelhed that I have ridden for over 25 years, so durability is not a factor. Maintenance is. Don't tell me you have to work on a Harley more than an old Goldwing. I have one of those too. !984 Intestate. Do Harleys vibrate? Sure they do, but not all the same. The vibration in a Harley has a lot to do with the guy that put the flywheel assembly together. Mine doesn't vibrate much because it was rebuilt 30 years ago by a master. The only thing I have had to do to the engine is replace a camshaft. My fault for adjusting the solid lifters too tight. I learned my lesson. Went to hydraulics. The riding experience between a Goldwing and a Harley is very different. I like them both. Just depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to be close to the "Beast". Sometimes it's the "Caddy". You will just have to try it yourself.
P9010836.resized.JPG
P9010836.resized.JPG (176.11 KiB) Viewed 245 times
MC 016a.jpg
MC 016a.jpg (169.89 KiB) Viewed 245 times
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well said :crosso
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

It's the feeling of belonging. The joy of having "Harley Davidson" embroidered on your leather jacket, leather chaps, leather underoos, nazi helmet, boots, socks, scarf thingy on your head, leather vest, gloves and other stuff so you don't forget what that noisy thing you ride is called.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

tlbranth wrote:It's the feeling of belonging. The joy of having "Harley Davidson" embroidered on your leather jacket, leather chaps, leather underoos, nazi helmet, boots, socks, scarf thingy on your head, leather vest, gloves and other stuff so you don't forget what that noisy thing you ride is called.
NOW NOW,watch your blood pressure :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

:twisted: Not my blood pressure. Just watching jealous play out
-Rodger-
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

"There ain't no Swiss army knife in motorcycles." - Me
"We sell a lifestyle." - a Harley salesman

A buddy had a '05 Screaming Eagle Ultra in yellow. It was one of the prettiest motorcycles I've ever seen. In 85k miles, it suffered 1 broken throttle cable, and 1 cracked muffler clamp. Pretty darn good service.

But even at 103inches, and with cams, and a dyno tune...either wing would beat that bike in a straight line. As for handling, the 1800 had it all over the Harley.

BUT, if Bubba's bike was next to either of my wings, nobody ever looked at the wings.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I actually tried to buy a Harley a couple seeks ago. Couldn't come to an agreed price. Not a new by any means. I didn't have to have it but would have taken it home for "my" price. It is still sitting where I looked at it. ;)

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder