Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

CYBORG

Re: Someone explain the Harley Davidson experience

Post by CYBORG »

have we beating this to death.... the reality is we ride motorcycles....
YES WE HAVE.....And that IS the reality!!!!!!!!
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
kerryb
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by kerryb »

JSBail wrote:
kerryb wrote: doesn't vibrate as much as my cb750,
Huh? Your HD must have some serious rubber motor mounts because I have a 77 cb750 F2 and it's engine runs smooth and it's mounted solid to the frame. Now I would be willing to bet your HD doesn't vibrate as much as my wife's 71 cb350 twin, it will make your hands AND feet go numb if you wind it up and a friend of mine's Yamaha XS650 twin, oh geez it's the worst one I've ridden so far. Something about the Jap parallel twins.
I think the answer is the balance shafts in the engine case that smooth out the vibrations. I just know it feels smoother to me. This year for our two thousand mile tour, I took the goldwing! Was a great decision...also very smooth and more power than I needed.
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.
'78 cb750K, '83 GL1100s,I,&A,'08FXSTC, '79 WilMac trike
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

rcmatt007 wrote:... 8 of use shared wine in a tent at a campground in southern California... we had a wing, there was beemer, a couple with a Harley, and dang I cannot recall the others.... we all shared wine

:horse:
yes, this.
anyone who rides two wheels (or three) but doesn't wanna share in the comaraderie of riding with others who ride something different would always be the 'issue'.
as seen with many more words in my previous post.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

x01660 wrote:Hey. :)

I'm not trying to start a flame war; just wanting to understand the appeal of an HD, from some people who actually have one or have ridden one. I've never piloted a Harley, just been on the back of one for a short period. It was rumbly, which was pretty cool, but it would seem like that would get tiresome real quick.

I've had 3 bikes; 1980 Suzuki GS 1000G, 1985 Suzuki GS 1150E, and 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000. The 1150 was fun, if a bit rough around the edges and the 1000G was a total beater. But both were smooth on the highway, and handled decently.

I love the GL more than the others given how smooth it is. I dunno. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing, but trying to understand.

So, those of you with HD's, why do you like them?
x01660 wrote:
brokentoe wrote:I don't think there is any explaining something as personal and subjective as this topic. Can someone explain the Chevy or Ford experience? Brand loyalty, American made (somewhat), Apple vs PC, on and on. I have a 75 GL and a 2014 Softail and love them both. They're different, they ride and shift different, they both go fast enough for me, they both make me smile. I might be the exception on this subject.
I guess what I'm asking is for a subjective comparison between the ride of a GL, and the ride of an HD.... All of my bikes have been Japanese, and I'm sure I'm biased. I want to hear from someone who has owned both and can provide a comparison.

Sorry if that's a bit vague...

:?:

Hey, everyone. Just in case the original message and intent of the thread was lost in the ether;

I was wondering about subjective differences in the Harley ride quality and feel vs Japanese bikes, and specifically inline or parallel Japanese bikes. And from people who have had experience riding both styles. Things like torque delivery, power band feel, butt dyno, etc. I know its ambiguous, and I could just go ride a Harley and find out for myself, but I like hearing people's description of their experiences. Reading the language that you use to differentiate between subjective, visceral feelings and emotions. Makes for fun conversation, and this IS the Social subforum, ain't it? ;)

I honestly don't care what you ride, and this thread was NEVER meant as a bashing of HD. At all. I give the two finger salute to people on mopeds and scooters; if you're on two wheels, you're good in my book. :)

Back to my hidey hole now...

:mrgreen:
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

x01660 wrote:
I could just go ride a Harley and find out for myself,
BINGO you nailed it. Unfortunately as innocent as you original question may have been you were bound to get biased answers, it would be similar to going to a Chevy web site and asking why people prefer Fords or the other way around, imagine the replies you would get. Which bike is "better" depends entirely on what you (not me or anyone else) wants in a bike and the only way to find out if that particular bike can suit your needs is to try one out yourself.
Scott
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

that is exactly what I did in '02. We were on the big Island, rented a heritage softail and drove about 300 miles that. Many dealers rent bikes. It costs a few $$'s but then go ride one for 300 miles.

Compare:

Seating.... MY HD hands down. The fare most comfortable bike for an "iron butt 1000" compared to our 1000 and 1200

Bumps.... in the wings I can lift up on the saddle to take the bump.... no can do on the HD

Power.... cannot compare fuel injection and true electronic ignition to 40 y/o technology. Having said that, our 1200 is miles ahead of our 1000 as well

Suspension.... the 1000's were "so-so" for the 70's, so cannot compare. Again the 1200 is way ahead of the 1000 as well

Vibration.... my 107 has a very pleasant feel at speed. But I test rode a 114 softail (different motor/frame) and it was annoying

Vibration at idle.... heck it was makes a HD cool anim-cheers1

Then there is how my riding changed. 40 years ago we were two-up touring. 30 years ago we needed a larger touring bike that could handle a good sized sidecar (the 1200 was perfect for this). 16 years ago when I bought my first HD, the kids were grown and we both ride our own bikes, which is why I have a road king not an ultra classic
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

rcmatt007 wrote:that is exactly what I did in '02. We were on the big Island, rented a heritage softail and drove about 300 miles that. Many dealers rent bikes. It costs a few $$'s but then go ride one for 300 miles.

Compare:

Seating.... MY HD hands down. The fare most comfortable bike for an "iron butt 1000" compared to our 1000 and 1200

Bumps.... in the wings I can lift up on the saddle to take the bump.... no can do on the HD

Power.... cannot compare fuel injection and true electronic ignition to 40 y/o technology. Having said that, our 1200 is miles ahead of our 1000 as well

Suspension.... the 1000's were "so-so" for the 70's, so cannot compare. Again the 1200 is way ahead of the 1000 as well

Vibration.... my 107 has a very pleasant feel at speed. But I test rode a 114 softail (different motor/frame) and it was annoying

Vibration at idle.... heck it was makes a HD cool anim-cheers1

Then there is how my riding changed. 40 years ago we were two-up touring. 30 years ago we needed a larger touring bike that could handle a good sized sidecar (the 1200 was perfect for this). 16 years ago when I bought my first HD, the kids were grown and we both ride our own bikes, which is why I have a road king not an ultra classic
THIS is what I was looking for. Thanks!

I'm tempted.... I talk about how much I love performance, and the high revving nature of inline 4's (the GL being an exception, but it still revs), but I spend LONG days in the saddle, and comfort is important...

But then I still wanna be able to take a turn.

Maybe HD will win me over with the new streetfighter they're gonna put out.

Eh.

[threadjack] I'll be back on two wheels on the 19th! Buying the 83 GS1100E I was borrowing! HA! [/threadjack]

:mrgreen:
-x01660

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

JSBail wrote:
BINGO you nailed it. Unfortunately as innocent as you original question may have been you were bound to get biased answers, it would be similar to going to a Chevy web site and asking why people prefer Fords or the other way around, imagine the replies you would get. Which bike is "better" depends entirely on what you (not me or anyone else) wants in a bike and the only way to find out if that particular bike can suit your needs is to try one out yourself.
But the thing is that I never asked which was better; I asked for a comparison from people that have ridden both. That's it.

Oh well, the end result of the thread has been the same; 7 pages of interesting conversation, even if the topic was altered.

But for reals, I'd like to hear more of your comparisons of HD vs Japanese bikes.

anim-cheers1
-x01660

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the other thing is HD's are generally BIG bikes, even the fat boys/softails have big engines, but are sportier. Never have ridden a "sportster and have no plans to... The don't make the V Rod any more but I test drove one,,,, wow it would blow your socks off, and then some
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

rcmatt007 wrote:the other thing is HD's are generally BIG bikes, even the fat boys/softails have big engines, but are sportier. Never have ridden a "sportster and have no plans to... The don't make the V Rod any more but I test drove one,,,, wow it would blow your socks off, and then some
The V-Rod is a sick looking bike. I just don't know about the money/performance ratio;

I raced one back when I had my GS1150, and I absolutely smoked it from a stop.

Then again, there's the issue of refinement and looks. Very pretty bike.

The controls were all weird, though.

If had to pick a currently available (as in not a future bike) HD, I would get one for long distance touring. But something sporty-ish.

I REALLY like the looks of the 1800 F6B. That is one sexy bike.

Are there any HD's that would be geared more for touring, but can still be played with in the corners a bit?
-x01660

Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

x01660 wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:the other thing is HD's are generally BIG bikes, even the fat boys/softails have big engines, but are sportier. Never have ridden a "sportster and have no plans to... The don't make the V Rod any more but I test drove one,,,, wow it would blow your socks off, and then some
The V-Rod is a sick looking bike. I just don't know about the money/performance ratio;

I raced one back when I had my GS1150, and I absolutely smoked it from a stop.

Then again, there's the issue of refinement and looks. Very pretty bike.

The controls were all weird, though.

If had to pick a currently available (as in not a future bike) HD, I would get one for long distance touring. But something sporty-ish.

I REALLY like the looks of the 1800 F6B. That is one sexy bike.

Are there any HD's that would be geared more for touring, but can still be played with in the corners a bit?
The Dyna was a good platform for a sporty / tourer. Alas they did away with it for 2018. The Dyna shared the rubber mount of the touring models but without some of the weight. Through a set of bags on it and your good to go. I have no idea why they killed the Dyna but I would guess, cost cutting to increase profits.
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I think they incorporated the dyna series into the softail series... my only experience with that group is a heritage classic which is more of a touring bike
-Rodger-
Wangthang
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Wangthang »

I have Honda's, and Harley's. Every bike I have ever ridden has it's own feel. Lots of misconceptions out there relating to Harleys. The Evo. engine is absolutely bulletproof. I look at bikes like women, each one brings something different to the table, and they all are great. I run my ol Wing with straight pipes, and I will say there is nothing on the planet that sounds like an ol shovelhead.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1515331452376.jpg
FB_IMG_1515331452376.jpg (166.64 KiB) Viewed 485 times
FB_IMG_1529255424951.jpg
FB_IMG_1529255424951.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 485 times
FB_IMG_1519651266780.jpg
FB_IMG_1519651266780.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 485 times
FB_IMG_1519651634059.jpg
FB_IMG_1519651634059.jpg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 485 times
1977 Gl 1000
1976 F1 750 SS
1973 Ironhead chopper
2007 Road King
1974 dohc 450 chopper project
1976 Gl 1000 parts bike
600rr parts bike
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Wangthang wrote:I have Honda's, and Harley's. Every bike I have ever ridden has it's own feel. Lots of misconceptions out there relating to Harleys. The Evo. engine is absolutely bulletproof. I look at bikes like women, each one brings something different to the table, and they all are great. I run my ol Wing with straight pipes, and I will say there is nothing on the planet that sounds like an ol shovelhead.
Your bikes are BEAUTIFUL!!

So as a Harley rider, what should I be looking for in terms of a sporty-ish bagger? Something that is primarily for covering miles on the highway, but can also be put through its paces a bit in the turns? I'm just a bit worried about all the low slung rigid parts.

Someone mentioned a Dyna. Excuse the reference, but isn't that what Jax Teller rides in the 2nd half of Sons of Anarchy? His bagger with the larger fairing?

If so, that's a good looking bike. :)
-x01660

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

The touring bikes are just that, although my '17 is better than my '05 in the turns. So I would say a dyna

although th V-rod (no longer made) was an animal that I bet would love the turns
-Rodger-