Luggage for naked 'Wings

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Luggage for naked 'Wings

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

I like my Vetter fairing on the bike, but find the Vetter boxes clunky and ugly. I wanted some bike luggage that would mount secure, be easy to remove at my destination, and could be use on a variety of bikes. I purchased a Wolfman Beta Plus Rear Bag and thought someone else here might find a quick review helpful.

Received the bag and was impressed with the overall quality of the material. Very heavy with substantial hardware. The bag is made to straddle the seat and has a rubberized bottom to grip the seat and protect the legs on both sides.
Luggage Bottom.jpg
Luggage Bottom.jpg (170.34 KiB) Viewed 197 times
It is like a duffel bag with saddle bag extensions on each side.
Luggage Off Bike.jpg
Luggage Off Bike.jpg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Mounting to the bike is as simple as setting it on the seat, strap to a forward attachment point, (I used the frame loop)
Luggage Attachment.jpg
Luggage Attachment.jpg (156 KiB) Viewed 197 times
and I used one strap on back to the grab bar, the red one here for a little more visibility.
IMG_20180714_201621.jpg
IMG_20180714_201621.jpg (131.01 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Held a weekends worth of clothes for the wife and I, 2 half helmets that we used while at a class and still could have got more in it. Didn't shift at all in 200 miles, made a decent back rest too depending on what is inside. If I needed more storage, like in August when we will take a 4 day trip, I can mount the Vetter saddlebags still and use this, it should just sit on top of them. Hope this helps someone!
Luggage.jpg
Luggage.jpg (138.94 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Luggage for naked 'Wings

Post by desertrefugee »

Interesting you'd post this the day after I acquired a set of Hondaline (Samsonite) removable hard bags. I'd been looking for a while and wanted hardbags, preferably removable. Admittedly, they're not commonly available like the option you've found, but dang, these were really nice. After popping them off, they look just like luggage.

On my bike, I'll have to re-think the turn signals as they interfere with the bags.

Heck, I'm ready to take the '78 on the road - instead of the Valkyrie for a change!
In my garage!
In my garage!
IMG_0163.JPG (130.95 KiB) Viewed 182 times
PO's bike installation
PO's bike installation
ad2.jpg (102.96 KiB) Viewed 182 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

Very nice find, Hondaline bags are great looking!
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
BusaRider
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BusaRider »

I have Wolfman tank and tail bags on one of my bikes and love them. I'm not sure how they could improve them.

Are these Hondaline bags? Im on the hunt for some bags for my bike......
Attachments
hondaline bags.jpg
hondaline bags.jpg (153.97 KiB) Viewed 147 times
'81 GL1100 - Café with a Twist * 1990 Suzuki GSXR-1100
2000 Triumph Speed Triple * 2016 BMW F800GS
2013 BMW S1000RR * 2017 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

I just picked up the same style tail bag for my 1100. I didn't want a really big one as my 76 will have hard bags on it for long trips.
I wanted something to throw a sweater in, some tools,etc.
I went with this saddleman bag.
I have to do some modifications to the straps that hold the pad on the seat but not a big deal.
I haven't gone for a long ride with it but on the couple of short rides I've done it never moved.

1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

BusaRider wrote:I have Wolfman tank and tail bags on one of my bikes and love them. I'm not sure how they could improve them.

Are these Hondaline bags? Im on the hunt for some bags for my bike......
Yep! There were two types of Samsonite Hondaline bags, the textured ones like I picked up above and the smooth sided ones you show in your post. They're both hard to find in good condition, but the smooth ones seem more scarce than the textured ones. I am thrilled with mine.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.