Buying a new battery in the UK? Read this!

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Buying a new battery in the UK? Read this!

Post by Old Fogey »

"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
n5zhu
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Buying a new battery in the UK? Read this!

Post by n5zhu »

And I thought the USA was the onely one to come up with BS reg's 73
Patrick
In the sticks So. of Heneryetta OK
1992 Suzuti VX800 Gone Traded for 2nd 78 GL1000
1978 GL1000 X2 1 Up and Runing 1 to go in the shop for work
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

We in the US have plenty of those but from what I've read and see at work, the UK has it all over us.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

I feel for Britain..someday the gov't will realize banning objects won't fix what is wrong..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Interesting reading and another case of bureaucracy gone mad.

Get ready for a Chewy rant!

Makes my blood boil when the government (and it's experts) tar us all with the same brush. I daresay this has come about as a few mindless morons have thrown acid in peoples faces. While I don't want to belittle the few tragic cases that have come up on the news, I doubt very much that the perpetrators of these dreadful crimes bought a motorcycle battery to get the acid to then throw in someone's face.

To quote the article, it says

'Distributors and dealers will not need an EPP licence providing they are acquiring, importing, possessing or using sulphuric acid for purposes connected with their trade or business, although they may be asked to provide evidence of this and explain the intended use of the chemicals'.

Isn't that what the minions want to do with the acid when we buy a battery with acid in a separate pack?

The latest things that have came out from our elected representatives and their 'experts' that have wound me up, show how out of touch these (mainly) Public School and University Educated people are with the real world.

1. Years ago, we got the advice that it was unhealthy to eat more than two or three eggs a week. Now they're saying, after new research from a different set of 'experts' say eggs are good for you and two a day is fine, something my nan told me when I was a youngster!

2. By 2040, the UK and others will no longer sell petrol or diesel cars, and we will all be driving electric cars. They have basically jumped on the Green wagon to save the planet, and while in theory that's obviously good for the populous, I can't see it working in a practical way, only time will tell, but who is going to buy a new car from about 2035 on?

3. Another planet saving scheme that the government have picked up on is to make all takeaway coffee cups completely recyclable by 2042, again sounds good and I do admit to hating litter dumped in our streets, fields and beaches etc.

But hold on a minute, if they expect practical electric cars, with long lasting, quick rechargeable batteries and plenty of recharge points available by 2040, why is it going to take 2 years longer to develop a cardboard vessel that is totally recyclable that holds a hot beverage!

And lastly (for now) To all the people jumping on the electric car, save the planet, eat lentils, bandwagon, how do you think all this extra electricity is going to be generated, when every year we get told there may be blackouts in Winter as we don't generate enough now!!! :evil: :evil:

Rant over!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

when the tree huggers can design and build any type of electric vehicle that has zero petroleum based components in it..then I will be impressed..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Chewy, I couldn't agree more and don't think your rant has fallen on deaf ears. We are of similar mindset.

...but I do like lentils.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Last year Scotland produced more green energy from windfarms and Hydro generation, than it needed for its own population, without any recourse to fossil fuel.
No-one will be buying cars in 2035. The driverless electric cars will be autonimous. You will call for one, it arrives, takes you to your destination and then scoots off to the the next passenger. I know you all think that is ridiculous. Well, 5 years ago driverless cars were just a dream someone had, 10 years ago no-one believed that you could have a totally electric car, 20 years ago folk were stunned at the first Hybrids.
I recently attended a talk by a Jaguar rep. When I say driverless, autonimous cars are coming, believe me - they are already here! Car companies are throwing BILLIONS into them and further, oil companies and oil producers like the Arabs, are throwing BILLIONS into them as well because the market for their oil is going to shrink rapidly.
This all begs the question --- who will own these cars, if not you and your neighbours.. I'll give you three guesses and I'm willing to bet you will get at least two of them right.
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

I'm confused. I thought this forums rules don't allow political views points. While I could not be more sympathetic with the rant. I know many of my posts were blocked for way much less. Just ask WF.
Does the UK have a system of regulations the the public can make comments on or propose changes to? In the US we have the Code of Federal Regulations and the citizenry registered to vote or not is able to make changes to the Law/regulations. Almost all Americans though are ignorant about it. They would rather March in the street which is highly uneffective. If anyone is interested they need only go on line and learn about the federal register and code of Federal Regulations. This is LAW and by definition is not politics. Bills are politics up until they become public law, then get codified in to regulations that are administered by agencies such as the Fed Aviation admin, FBI, IRS etc. There are fifty titles that oversee the various regulatory agencies, and the American public if it wishes can participate as change agents to effect changes to federal Regulations.
The daily federal register publishes daily any new regs or proposed changes to the regs. It is available on your phone via an App.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

77Gowing wrote:I'm confused. I thought this forum rules don't apply political views points. While I could not be more sympathetic with the rant. I know many of my posts were blocked for may much less. Just ask WF.
Does the UK have a system of regulations the the public can make comments on or propose changes to? In the US we have the Code of Federal Regulations and the citizenry registered to vote or not is able to make changes to the Law/regulations. Almost all Americans though are ignorant about it. They would rather March in the street which is highly uneffective. If anyone is interested they need only go on line and learn about the federal register and code of Federal Regulations. This is LAW and by definition is not politics. Bills are politics up until they become public law, then get codified in to regulations that are administered by agencies such as the Fed Aviation admin, FBI, IRS etc. There are fifty titles that oversee the various regulatory agencies, and the American public if it wishes can participate as change agents to effect changes to federal Regulations.
The daily federal register publishes daily any new regs or proposed changes to the regs. It is available on your phone via an App.
First of all I apologise if I've broken any forum rules, didn't mean to get political, just saying how it is in the UK and airing my views. The main problem with the British, is that we'll chat to each other, normally over a drink, moan and groan about the state of the country, and then do absolutely nothing!!!

As for driverless cars, although the chances are they will arrive, we're not there yet,https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business- ... ppens-next

But, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Previous Rides,
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Chewy, no appology necessary. I'm on you side. My post was mainly pointed toward forum administrators to suggest their application of the rules is inconsistent.
Yes we Yanks do much the same, complain and do nothing. Cheers to you Chewy! anim-cheers1
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

This change will apply to all lead/acid batteries not just bikes. It's not a new Law. What has happened, due as Chewwy says a number of cases recently of acid throwing attacks - the worst resulting a few days ago of the suicide of an ex-boyfriend of the thrower because of the constant pain, is that a new substance has simply been added to an already existing Law. This kind of procedure happens all the time. It will have been proposed by a member of Parliament, voted on and entered into the Statute books without any legal requirement to take it to public debate.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

77Gowing wrote:Chewy, no appology necessary. I'm on you side. My post was mainly pointed toward forum administrators to suggest their application of the rules is inconsistent.
Yes we Yanks do much the same, complain and do nothing. Cheers to you Chewy! anim-cheers1
And cheers to you Kenny and all on this site.

Previous Rides,
Current bikes
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Old Fogey wrote:This change will apply to all lead/acid batteries not just bikes. It's not a new Law. What has happened, due as Chewwy says a number of cases recently of acid throwing attacks - the worst resulting a few days ago of the suicide of an ex-boyfriend of the thrower because of the constant pain, is that a new substance has simply been added to an already existing Law. This kind of procedure happens all the time. It will have been proposed by a member of Parliament, voted on and entered into the Statute books without any legal requirement to take it to public debate.
The problem is that politicians of any party need to be seen to be doing something but they tend to have a knee jerk reaction without thinking it through. You can cause harm with any number of household cleaning agents, caustic soda, bleach etc, all readily available.
We aren't allowed to carry guns, but people still get shot!
Anyway, glad I changed my battery last year!

Previous Rides,
Current bikes
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Been on the road all day. This discussion does not need to go any further.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!