CB750K question, Can I ask?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

CB750K question, Can I ask?

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Ok so,I got a question about a 1974 CB750. I don’t know if we’re allowed or even if it’s cool to ask about other bikes but here goes. me and my buddy are tearing down a CB750K engine. We were just gonna replace a bunch of gaskets we got from Randakks. BBUUUT, we noticed that where the cam shaft sits on the second rocker assembly has been grounded down to a pulp. A pool of Metal shaving sat near. Wasn’t planning on splitting the case, but that may not be the case now. Do you guys think there shaving all inside the crankcase? And we should split it open now? Anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge would be helpful, thanks everyone.
1980 Honda Goldwing Gl1100

crossy.gif -I ride naked- crossy.gif

lolol This Is My First Motorcycle lolol

Portland, Oregon
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: CB750K question, Can I ask?

Post by 5speed »

never owned a 750 so my advice is worth exactly .02¢
Anytime you have metal shavings in an engine..you need to tear it down to the last bolt to check for more damage and to get it as clean as possible..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

You should pose your question here: http://forums.sohc4.net/
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

In addition to the shavings, the issue suggests an oiling problem. If it was not a local issue specific to the cam, it could be an oil pressure issue that would mean other unseen areas of concern. I'd tear it down.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

A '75 CB750 was my baby for years. I'd tear that puppy down. There are almost certainly metal shavings throughout the case, and due to the likely oiling issue you may have issues with your main and rod bearings. To clarify, is the camshaft worn down or the camshaft holder?
luludog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by luludog »

tlbranth wrote:You should pose your question here: http://forums.sohc4.net/
+1, good site with vast knowledge on the SOHC 750’s

Since you’re asking; I’d go through the engine. The camshaft cradles are aluminum with no bearing inserts. It’s likely one or both might need replacement. Search for root cause. Ensure the (2) oil restrictors, just below each cradle, are clean (very small holes). Along with cleaning the case and parts; make sure to disassemble the oil pump. Since it’s a dry sump system; be a good idea to clean the oil tank.

Good luck!
-Ray

1977 GL1000 - http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40398
1975 CB750K5 - stock restoration http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40426
1971 CB175K5 - stock restoration http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 95&start=0
1972 CB350 - resto-mod cafe project http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47429

"Remembering the Past... Liv'n the Dream"
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

A lot of people preemptively heli-coil the 6mm threads in the block. While you have it apart I would check the cam and primary chain tensioners. If there's any question I'd do the chains as well. I also loctite the cam sprocket bolts. It's a bad day if one of those backs out going down the highway. Like Luludog said, good idea to clean out the oil tank. I'd also clean out the major oil passages and if it has an oil cooler I'd clean it as well.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Doesn't look like it's been mentioned yet, but if you're going deep into the engine, get yourself a hand impact driver and a properly-sized JIS (yes, experts? JIS, right?) screwdriver bit for it.

I'm pretty sure you're motor is old enough to be one sewn together with 10,000 screws rather than bolts, and an impact driver is almost a must in this situation. It certainly helped on mine.

While you're at it, it's a great idea to replace the rubber pucks under the cam towers. They were known to leak, and while not an engine-killer, it makes the motor look like crap and the pucks are a PITA to replace otherwise.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.