Valkyrie advice?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Valkyrie advice?

Post by mensor »

Starting to think about the inevitable onset of MBS...

Since my ‘78 GL got naked, the next move for me (and the wife) is definitely a proper touring machine. I’m absolutely in lust with the late 90s-early 00s Valkyrie Interstate, so looking for a little advice. Anything to look out for when I start shopping? Differences year to year, etc? TIA!
“I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I’m enjoying the ride”

'78 GL1000 “Ramblin’ Rose”
n5zhu
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Valkyrie advice?

Post by n5zhu »

I have read that the eraly years were prone to trans 4th grear going out,shift forks would bend. My 99 at 75000 is doing fine. 73 Patrick
In the sticks So. of Heneryetta OK
1992 Suzuti VX800 Gone Traded for 2nd 78 GL1000
1978 GL1000 X2 1 Up and Runing 1 to go in the shop for work
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I have not heard about the 4th gear issue. I'd like to see some discussion on that one - I've been a member of the VRCC club for years and have never heard of a tranny issue. My '97 has been utterly trouble free. I have a friend who bought a '97 in 2001. He just sold it with 158k miles on it. Ran pretty much like mine did - with 100k less miles. He bought another '97! There are hundreds of these machines well over 100k running around out there.

First year 97s supposed to be slightly peppier. They are all darn near bulletproof. Not much to fault. Without a doubt, the finest motorcycle I have ever owned.

No, it's not for sale:
IMG_5303.JPG
IMG_5303.JPG (166.8 KiB) Viewed 285 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
n5zhu
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by n5zhu »

Good looking Valk mine is the red and cream. As for the trans thing I don't recall wich site I seem it on they had a howto as well as the word about it,may have been a case ofbig foot on tht lose. 73
Patrick
In the sticks So. of Heneryetta OK
1992 Suzuti VX800 Gone Traded for 2nd 78 GL1000
1978 GL1000 X2 1 Up and Runing 1 to go in the shop for work
mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by mensor »

desertrefugee wrote: No, it's not for sale:
IMG_5303.JPG
What a shame! Beautiful bike.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

While low miles are very attractive, these bikes are now getting old, too. So, the low miles starts to mean less. It's possible for a well-ridden 70k mile specimen to be a better buy than a 20k mile example that's spent its recent years mostly idle. As always, it depends on the particular machine in front of you. There's a fairly sizeable range in prices of Valkyries. They've dropped in recent years, but seem maybe to have plateaued. You should be able to find a really nice I/S for $6'ish.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

I would suggest riding a Buddys' for a few ??? miles, and see if the Interstate is the one you want. I had the hankerin' for one, rode one about 40 miles, and lost my hankerin' somewhere on the trip! Seemed top heavy, and kinda hard for slow speed manuvers. I have made this recommendation to several other perspective buyers, who arrived at the same verdict. Iffen you wanting a touring machine, do the GoldWing. You can buy a clean, low mileage early years 1800 for the same dollars. And yo Bride will put you on the top shelf!
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow
1997 Valkyrie Custom
1999 Valkyrie Interstate Trike
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2014 Indian Vintage Chief
2015 Indian Scout
2016 Indian Jack Daniels Limited Springfield
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I have a 2002 Valk standard that I have put 111,000 miles on so far.
The majority of those miles were two up and loaded down.
It has been my touring bike for the past 10 years. It has never let me down.

The Interstate model is nice to look at, but it did'nt fit me as well as the naked one does.
gwdave83
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by gwdave83 »

I would also agree with taking a good test ride. I own a 2001 Valkyrie Interstate and have had it about 10 years. It is beautiful, smooth and sounds great. It is the last bike in my small stable of bikes to ride. It is extremely heavy and not fun to ride if any slow maneuvers or turns are in the ride. I'm a big guy and have been riding bikes for 45 years, but am uncomfortable riding the Valkryie with my wife as a passenger, it's intended purpose. I take a naked GL1000, my Cb1100, or even my 83 Aspencade out, before the Valkyrie. I would look at a Gl1800 if I were to buy a different touring bike.
mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by mensor »

mopehead440 wrote:I would suggest riding a Buddys' for a few ??? miles, and see if the Interstate is the one you want. I had the hankerin' for one, rode one about 40 miles, and lost my hankerin' somewhere on the trip! Seemed top heavy, and kinda hard for slow speed manuvers. I have made this recommendation to several other perspective buyers, who arrived at the same verdict. Iffen you wanting a touring machine, do the GoldWing. You can buy a clean, low mileage early years 1800 for the same dollars. And yo Bride will put you on the top shelf!
Call me shallow, but I really dislike the Goldwing since it got all Winnebago’d (hence my affinity for this site). I greatly prefer the Valk for style. That said, I didn’t realize there was such a difference in handling on the Interstate. I’d definitely like to take somebody’s for a lil trip... if I had a friend that nice with one haha.

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

mensor wrote:
mopehead440 wrote:I would suggest riding a Buddys' for a few ??? miles, and see if the Interstate is the one you want. I had the hankerin' for one, rode one about 40 miles, and lost my hankerin' somewhere on the trip! Seemed top heavy, and kinda hard for slow speed manuvers. I have made this recommendation to several other perspective buyers, who arrived at the same verdict. Iffen you wanting a touring machine, do the GoldWing. You can buy a clean, low mileage early years 1800 for the same dollars. And yo Bride will put you on the top shelf!
Call me shallow, but I really dislike the Goldwing since it got all Winnebago’d (hence my affinity for this site). I greatly prefer the Valk for style. That said, I didn’t realize there was such a difference in handling on the Interstate. I’d definitely like to take somebody’s for a lil trip... if I had a friend that nice with one haha.
Boy, do I agree with this. The Goldwing might be the "de facto" all-up touring machine, but there's more to touring than fancy bells and whistles. My main over the road riding partner runs an '05 Wing. The only, and I mean only, goo-gahs he has that I covet is heated seat and grips...and maybe a little more range.

A 'Wing is for wing riders. A Valkyrie is for the rest.
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

Seems as though we have jumped from a comphy, enjoyable ride for the Wifey, to a stylish, barebones bike with the ability to carry a little sumtin!

Iffen you want a comfortable ride for rider, and passenger, and want to arrive miles later rested, relaxed, and not hurting all over, GoldWing! Take Sweetie for a GoldWing ride, and we'll see what you buy! We comparing apples, and oranges, and need to get on same page! If you looking for style, buy an Indian! That oughta get ya'll stirred up!
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow
1997 Valkyrie Custom
1999 Valkyrie Interstate Trike
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2014 Indian Vintage Chief
2015 Indian Scout
2016 Indian Jack Daniels Limited Springfield
mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by mensor »

mopehead440 wrote:Seems as though we have jumped from a comphy, enjoyable ride for the Wifey, to a stylish, barebones bike with the ability to carry a little sumtin!

Iffen you want a comfortable ride for rider, and passenger, and want to arrive miles later rested, relaxed, and not hurting all over, GoldWing! Take Sweetie for a GoldWing ride, and we'll see what you buy! We comparing apples, and oranges, and need to get on same page! If you looking for style, buy an Indian! That oughta get ya'll stirred up!
Haha, I suppose I should’ve spoken more clearly in the first place... I’m looking for a balance of both. Wifey was happy on the 1000 till I took the sissy bar and bags off. We aren’t quite the iron butt type so she’s pretty easy. Style is definitely a consideration! (Again, I’m shallow like that)

I do like an Indian...

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

If being rested, relaxed and not hurting all over makes that much difference in your travel choices (and if style doesn't matter), you could also take the Camry.
mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by mensor »

desertrefugee wrote:If being rested, relaxed and not hurting all over makes that much difference in your travel choices (and if style doesn't matter), you could also take the Camry.
lolol Truth