Ideas for de-rusting headers?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Ideas for de-rusting headers?

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I got thinking about that tin can & worm clamp fix and I don't think it would work well on something as tapered as those mufflers so I would have to pop rivet the patches on. After sleeping on it I've decided to get some muffler tape and put the old exhaust back on for this year. It will be about as much work as the patches but it will leave the "new" headers in better shape for when I can do it properly.

In the meantime I would still like to hear what others have done to clean up rusty headers.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ideas for de-rusting headers?

Post by BikeMaine »

I have straight pipes welded to my headers, I used the MIG to attach them. (Too bad you aren't closer to me, you could use my welders)
I just removed my header wrap and cleaned the rust off with a wire wheel on the right angle grinder. Too big to go in my blast cabinet. I came close to cutting pipes off headers so they would fit in cabinet but decided not to. I painted mine with VHT flat black. I'll cure them with idle temps per instructions on the paint can.
Time will tell.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A