Bought my dream bike yesterday!

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Bought my dream bike yesterday!

Post by propav8r »

So I recently sold my '72 H2 the same way I bought it...for no particular reason. I'm still waiting on a few things to fix up the K bike, but I started cruising Craigslist out of boredom looking for cool old bikes.

I was really thinking about a Suzuki RE5 (rotary engine, so kinda cool, but also kinda masochistic) an old Moto Guzzi, or maybe one of the big 3 factory Turbo bikes. I had another bike in the back of my mind, but kinda filed it under the "I can't really afford one of those" category.

That bike was a Honda CBX.

I had joined a few CBX groups as a lurker, and saw a post about a week and a half ago from a guy in Beaufort, SC who was vaguely kicking around the idea of selling his bike. We exchanged a few messages and some photos of the bike from about 20 years ago. Apparently, his job as a regional airline pilot began occupying more and more of his time in the late 90s and early 00s, and he ran out of time to tinker with and ride the CBX. It's been parked in the back of his garage since then.

We went over asking price vs. what I was willing to pay for a non-runner, and came to a medium that made us both happy. It's more than I'd normally spend on a non-running bike, but it's also a CBX.

The guy I bought it from purchased it new in 1985 as a 1982 model. He was working at Manassas Honda when one day he opened the dealer's mail and saw an announcement that Honda had found stock of brand new 1982 CBXs in a NY warehouse. He immediately ran in and placed the order for one, and he uncrated and assembled it once it arrived.

He rode it frequently for the following 15 or so years, and it has about 30,000 miles on it now. The last service record is for a valve adjustment and tires.

Anyhow, since this thread is worthless without pics...

I'm excited to tear into this thing. It should take minimal effort to get back on the road. I guess I'll get it running and see what kind of shape everything is in, then I'll pull it down for a good once-over.
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bought my dream bike yesterday!

Post by delling3 »

Nice score. Those pipes are really sought after. J.R. (CBXTRAS on this forum) is a great go-to source for your for CBX parts. JR is the guy that built the blower bike that many of you have been following). Is this replacing the Buffet Racer in the stable, or are you keeping both?
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Very cool.
Scott
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Not jealous at all. :shock:

That was THE pipe to acquire for those babies. Absolutely nice score.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

delling3 wrote:Nice score. Those pipes are really sought after. J.R. (CBXTRAS on this forum) is a great go-to source for your for CBX parts. JR is the guy that built the blower bike that many of you have been following). Is this replacing the Buffet Racer in the stable, or are you keeping both?
I'll be keeping both. I'm in love with my GL...I'm really getting to know the bike well, and it's proving to be a VERY fun bike to ride in the mountains.

The CBX will be a fairweather bike, and I've got the '85 K100RS with bags and a trunk for longer/overnight touring. I'm not super dedicated to the K, and I have some damage to repair, but it's coming along pretty well.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

very nice score...
the guy I bought my 76 from has a cbx he is restoring.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

Good find! You're gonna love that CBX.

If it's a non-runner and it's been sitting for a good while, you're gonna have a carb removal, disassembly, and rebuild job on your hands to get it running properly.

That's a big job, but do-able. A couple of years ago I rebuilt the six carbs on a good friend's '81 CBX for him. Took me the better part of a week, but I work slow and steady and didn't rush anything. Use a rebuild kit from Randakk's Cycle Shakk. Those are the best kits you can buy.

One of this site's gurus, Mike Nixon, charges $799.00 for a CBX carb rebuild. Of course you have to remove the carb bank and send them to him. If you've rebuilt carbs before, you can do this. Buy Mike's book on rebuilding CBX carbs and follow that step-by-step. It explains every step of the rebuild with pictures and text.

Take your time and get everything reconditioned right on your CBX. Great bike!

1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

Another nice cbx. I like the monoshock bagger cbx’s. The white is nice.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

desertrefugee wrote:Not jealous at all. :shock:

That was THE pipe to acquire for those babies. Absolutely nice score.
Amazing how I posted this less than a month ago and one fell into my lap less than three weeks later. Completely different machine - not original, but still those magical three letters. Mines pretty much down to an engine and a frame already. It'll be a while.

And, for the record, it's my dream bike, too.
Carbs almost off - way worse getting out than ANY GL!
Carbs almost off - way worse getting out than ANY GL!
IMG_5785.JPG (116.31 KiB) Viewed 301 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Jay Leno has one you can see at Jay's Garage. i probably should not say this, but his chin sticks out under his full face helmet. I think Jay could afford a custom helmet-just sayin.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

:lol: I saw that! Guy has just about one of everything - but he's the original owner of the CBX.

Leno's one-owner CBX-B:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMWurGORq_8
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

More pictures of progress please?
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc