Truth in advertising

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Truth in advertising

Post by DUGG »

I've been keeping an eye out for Vetter fairing. Mine has is cracking around one of the mounting holes. I find one on on CL this week that has the lowers. I'm not sure if I want the lowers but if they come with it sure. I email the guy "I'm interested in the fairing. Is there any damage on it?" He replies "Windshield has small crack on right side should be able to see on picture." I don't care about the windshield so I arrange to meet him after work. Twenty minute drive out to his place in the county. I get there and check it out. There is a big crack running from the windshield area right above the headlight clear behind the headlight. Why lie to me and waste my time and his time? I asked if he'd sell just the lowers, but he said no. I thought about offering less or buying it because I would bay that much just to get the lowers. But I'm not sure I want them in the first place and I felt like I'd be rewarding the guy for lying to me so I walked away. Twenty minutes out there, fifteen minutes there, twenty minutes home = basically an hour of my life wasted :IDTS:
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Truth in advertising

Post by Sugs »

What year are you looking for? I have one that came off my '79 that I can send you pictures of. Would just have to figure out how to ship it safely from SoCal. Its white with no lowers.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Similar thing happened to me on this site. I posted HD saddles with pics showing they had speakers mounted on top.
I told the member I would ship them and he could just reimburse the shipping. I trusted the guy, I paid the shipping then he calls me and he says he did not like that they had speakers but the check was in the mail....yeah right. Never saw a penny.
He ain't on this site no more he's over at Classic Wings. I felt like such a fool.
I have sent small spares I've had and I covered the cost as a courtesy and that feels good when you can help a member out.
But no more big stuff will I ship. Too bad I had a Vetter no one wanted and it too had a crack but I swear it was small one.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

Lowers are a nice addition to a full fairing set up. They keep the cold wind and rain directed away from your legs.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

That's one thing I don't like about buying stuff on sites like eBay. The seller can either take good photos that show any known issues, or good (for them) photos that don't show the pimples. I've gotten into the habit of asking for more detailed or specific pics if I'm not sure about something. If they can post a pic for an ad, they should be able to send me one or two more, IMHO.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

Sugs wrote:What year are you looking for? I have one that came off my '79 that I can send you pictures of. Would just have to figure out how to ship it safely from SoCal. Its white with no lowers.
Thanks for the offer. I don't now what it would cost to ship. I might be interested
if shipping isn't way high. Seems like Vetters should be a dime a dozen, but maybe not. Color doesn't matter, I would be painting to match my bike.
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

DUGG wrote:Thanks for the offer. I don't now what it would cost to ship. I might be interested
if shipping isn't way high. Seems like Vetters should be a dime a dozen, but maybe not. Color doesn't matter, I would be painting to match my bike.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57962

You can kinda see the condition of it here in my build thread, I'll try to weigh it and see what it costs to ship, and see what condition its in. I don't remember if it had any flaws since I took it right off and stuck it up on a shelf in my garage but I seem to remember it was in really good shape.

DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

Sugs wrote:
DUGG wrote:Thanks for the offer. I don't now what it would cost to ship. I might be interested
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57962

You can kinda see the condition of it here in my build thread, I'll try to weigh it and see what it costs to ship, and see what condition its in. I don't remember if it had any flaws since I took it right off and stuck it up on a shelf in my garage but I seem to remember it was in really good shape.
It looks good in the pic, let me know on cost to ship
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Got the fairing down and took it apart. Figured that would be the easiest way to ship it if you still want it or pitch it if you don't. The fairing and windshield weigh about 21lbs, the other misc. stuff 5-10lbs depending on what you want.

Took some more pictures. Here is the link - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tmf74Zbuc2c37Mmb2

Don't know if you want the radio and speakers, have no idea if they work. Take a close look at the windshield as there is some cracking around the holes where it mounts. I figure its going to be two boxes, one for the fairing and misc. parts, and one for the windshield. Also have the mount, not sure if you need it. No headlight because the lowbeam tang had broken off so I tossed it.

DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

Sugs wrote:Got the fairing down and took it apart. Figured that would be the easiest way to ship it if you still want it or pitch it if you don't. The fairing and windshield weigh about 21lbs, the other misc. stuff 5-10lbs depending on what you want.

Took some more pictures. Here is the link - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tmf74Zbuc2c37Mmb2

Don't know if you want the radio and speakers, have no idea if they work. Take a close look at the windshield as there is some cracking around the holes where it mounts. I figure its going to be two boxes, one for the fairing and misc. parts, and one for the windshield. Also have the mount, not sure if you need it. No headlight because the lowbeam tang had broken off so I tossed it.
Thanks for the pics. I think I'll pass at this point. It looks like the rear mounting area has been cut away and replaced by some sort of bracket. Maybe this fairing suffered the same damage as mine and this was someones fix for it. Also looks like on the left side the bracket is through bolted from the outside as there are two exposed bolt heads. On the the inside of the right rear there looks to be a crack running from a hole plug to the added bracket. Having said all that, if your going to toss it out I'd be interested in those brackets to reinforce mine or add to a replacement fairing

Return to “General Motorcycle Forum”