New goldwing!

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: New goldwing!

Post by chewy999 »

desertrefugee wrote:Seven forward gears is heaven on earth on long, lonely western highways and darn near the price of admission just by itself...
Surely on a 'long, lonely highway', you only need one top gear, whether that's 5th, 6th or 7th!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

My assumption was that, in this case, 7th would be some ridiculous overdrive ratio - like .55:1. A gear that would only be used on the aforementioned highways. If that were the case, I suppose it's a gear that would likely never be used in the UK.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

desertrefugee wrote:My assumption was that, in this case, 7th would be some ridiculous overdrive ratio - like .55:1. A gear that would only be used on the aforementioned highways. If that were the case, I suppose it's a gear that would likely never be used in the UK.
I agree, but imagine the fuel milage in such a gear. crossy.gif
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

Brand new indian scout for 13K. Cant beat it
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

leggman wrote:Brand new indian scout for 13K. Cant beat it
I know I bought one too.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

77Gowing wrote:
leggman wrote:Brand new indian scout for 13K. Cant beat it
I know I bought one too.
I saw my first Scout in person last weekend. Very nicely done bike. I don't think I'd be taking any week-long trips on one though. I guess that's how MBS begins, lol!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Track, yes it was MBS all the way. I love it but you are correct it's not for week long trips.
far I'm not adventurous enough for a week long ride. Still love my gl1000
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Beetleman
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Beetleman »

If i was going to get a newish goldwing it would be a F6B. I'm a little younger (is 40 young?) so maybe I like that James Dean thing, or maybe more of a Peter Fonda thing. I can see Peter Fonda on one of these!

It's 855 pounds without the reverse! I still cuss my gl1000 when I try and back it into the garage!
Attachments
Screenshot_20171022-114724.png
Screenshot_20171022-114724.png (288.25 KiB) Viewed 196 times
1978 gl1000 Not Nice bike.
1978 gl1000

Taking 10 minutes every day to use the bathroom at work is equal to one week's vacation.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Beetleman wrote:(is 40 young?)
YES!

anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

chewy999 wrote:
Beetleman wrote:(is 40 young?)
YES!

anim-cheers1
VERY!!!!
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Beetleman wrote:If i was going to get a newish goldwing it would be a F6B. I'm a little younger (is 40 young?) so maybe I like that James Dean thing, or maybe more of a Peter Fonda thing. I can see Peter Fonda on one of these!

It's 855 pounds without the reverse! I still cuss my gl1000 when I try and back it into the garage!
If I bought a full dressed bike new..it would be one of those.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

2018 Gold Wing was officially released last night at 7:00PM PST.

Here's a video of some of the features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzzFCAtLT4&t=19s

Here are some detailed technical specs:

Exhaust
To create an exhaust sound worthy of the new Gold Wing, a new structure was designed for the sequence leading from the muffler to the exhaust pipe, ensuring an appropriate sound quality. The No. 2 and No. 3 exhaust pipes (left to right from the rider’s view) have a 20-percent smaller diameter.

Transmission
For transferring power to the rear wheel, the 2018 Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models are available with a six-speed manual transmission or Honda’s advanced seven-speed automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), each with innovations for ease of use and an overall quieter, more enjoyable riding experience. Honda is the powersports leader in DCT, having debuted it on the 2010 VFR1200F and since adapted, refined and expanded it to other motorcycles (including the award-winning Africa Twin adventure motorcycle) and premium ATVs and side-by-sides. The third-generation seven-speed DCT is new for 2018, but based on the same technologies.

As the name indicates, DCT uses two clutches that are controlled by sophisticated electronics and hydraulics. One clutch, which rides on a hollow outer shaft, controls odd-numbered gear sets (1,3,5,7); the other clutch rides on an inner shaft and controls even-numbered gear sets (2,4,6). Multiple gears are engaged simultaneously so that the transmission is constantly prepared for the next shift. Data, collected by a series of sensors, is processed by the ECU, which uses an advanced algorithm to determine when the shift-control motor should electronically trigger gear-changes. At those moments, one clutch disengages and the other engages, resulting in shifts that are quick, smooth, and seamless.

There are several benefits to Honda’s DCT: It changes gears quicker and more smoothly than is possible with a manual transmission; it frees the rider from clutch and gear-shifting operations so that he or she can focus more on acceleration, cornering, braking, or other riding-related tasks.

In the case of the new Gold Wing, the DCT also features a new Walking Mode, with creeping speed for situations like maneuvering the motorcycle around a parking space. In Walking Mode, one clutch enables forward movement, and the other clutch enables rearward movement. In either direction, engine speed is controlled by the Gold Wing’s new throttle-by-wire system, and clutch engagement is ideally modulated. Walking Mode speeds are limited to 1.1 mph (1.8 km/h) in forward direction and .75 mph (1.2 km/h) in reverse direction, with the rider easily controlling the system through the + and – buttons on the left handlebar switch.

For the DCT models, engineers have devised a special chain-and-gear system that utilizes DCT shafts for the reverse function, thereby eliminating the need for a traditional mechanism.

On the DCT models, high-strength materials have enabled engineers to minimize the face-width of each gear. This, in addition to the removal of a) the reverse idle shaft needed for a conventional transmission system, and b) the auxiliary equipment previously needed for the electric reverse mechanism, have resulted in a compact engine that weighs 8.4 lbs. less (3.8 kg) than the outgoing power unit. In addition, this latest-generation DCT improves performance through damper rubbers that reduce shift noise, realizing a shift feel worthy of a flagship model. There are three distinct additions, including fork-shaft dampers, a master-arm damper, and DCT clutch-center damper.

The first of these innovations, the fork-shaft dampers, are affixed to both ends of the fork shaft. This results in a suppression of the noise that is generated when the edge face of the fork shaft, which supports the shift fork that moves the gears during shifts, strikes the engine case, a situation that occurs when energy is released during shifts. The second innovation, the master-arm damper, works much the same, mitigating any sound created when the master arm strikes the stopper pin that regulates its movement. Meanwhile, the DCT clutch-center damper—a spring damper installed between the clutch and the main shaft—absorbs torque and reducing noise caused by the engagement between dogs and the clutch during shifts. Thanks to a good coordination between clutch control and the new throttle-by-wire system, it was possible to decrease shift shock and shorten shift time, especially in Sport mode.

Gear ratios are new, with the lower gears characterized by close ratios for a narrower change in engine speed and driving force when shifting gears. Meanwhile, the taller gears have a wide ratio for lower engine speeds at high-speed cruising.

Gearbox updates are not limited to the DCT, as the six-speed manual transmission also features a cam damper between the clutch and transmission for reduced noise and shock, as well as enhanced durability. Compared to the previous five-speed manual transmission, this six-speed gearbox enables lower engine speeds when cruising at 60 mph (100 km/h), which creates a quieter overall riding experience. Each manual-transmission model now comes equipped with an assist and slipper clutch, as opposed to the previous generation’s hydraulic assist clutch. With this mechanism, clutch operation load is reduced by 20 percent, and shift shock has been reduced during downshifting. For the reverse mechanism, the electric starter motor is used just as it has been in the past. There is no reverse mechanism on the 2018 base Gold Wing model.

Starter
In another weight-saving measure, all Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models feature an Integrated Starter Generator system (ISG), which integrates the generator and starter-motor functions into one component. This incorporation allowed for removal of the starter motor and starter-system wiring, achieving a weight savings of 5.3 lbs. (2.4 kg). The system also reduces noise during starting.

TECHNOLOGY

Honda has fully modernized the Gold Wing models with the introduction of a cutting-edge electronics package, highlighted by a new throttle-by-wire system. Multiple riding modes are now available, as is Honda Selectable Torque Control (Gold Wing Tour models), Hill Start Assist, an optimized cruise-control system and Combined Braking System (CBS) with ABS, each a tool for comfortably employing and taking advantage of the Gold Wing’s improved performance.

The four riding modes available on all Gold Wing models are Tour, Sport, Econ and Rain, each with distinct settings that help tailor the riding character of the motorcycle for the specific riding conditions. In each of these modes, the throttle, and (where applicable) torque-control settings, DCT shift schedules, and suspension damping, are changed. The process of switching modes is completed when the rider totally closes the throttle grip.

Tour Mode
The default riding mode on the new Gold Wing, Tour mode is capable of dealing with the most wide-ranging conditions. This setting achieves a good balance between the outstanding comfort characterized by a touring model, and the dynamic performance potential of this new bike. The stress-free riding character enables powerful acceleration with throttle operations when climbing a hill and offers appropriate response to other changes in the terrain, while curbing engine speed at low levels. The DCT models faithfully respond to the rider’s acceleration demands through automatic downshifting at the appropriate moment (according to the accelerator position). When the motorcycle’s ignition is turned off and then on again, the bike will automatically return to Tour mode.

Sport Mode
This mode enables the rider to fully enjoy the improved dynamic performance of the new Gold Wing models, made possible through the lighter package. Sport mode features more powerful acceleration thanks to sharper responsiveness. With DCT models, the automatic-shifting schedule enables the engine to climb to higher speeds. While combined braking bias is relatively unchanged in the other three modes, Sport mode applies more pressure to the rear when the front brake is applied.

Econ Mode
This mode gives expression to the riding character as recommended by Honda when riding in a relaxed manner on roads in cities and suburbs. Through the mild acceleration and deceleration characteristics and the suspension’s soft damping characteristics, more relaxed cruising is possible. In the automatic modes of the DCT model, the shifts occur at low engine speeds, also contributing to improved fuel efficiency.

Rain Mode
Rain mode is intended for riding in low-grip situations, such as on wet and/or dirty roads. The mode provides acceleration and deceleration characteristics that—in comparison to Econ mode—are even milder in response to throttle operations, with added torque control. With DCT models, the shifts occur at low engine speeds.

Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
Designed to help the rider manage rear wheel slip, Honda Selectable Torque Control calculates the slip ratio of the rear wheel by measuring the vehicle-speed signal of the non-contact ABS wheel-speed sensors. When slip is detected, the system steps in through adjustments to the throttle valve and fuel injection, in combination. HSTC is available on all Gold Wing Tour models.

Hill Start Assist
Another innovation for 2018, Hill Start Assist is available for the first time on a Gold Wing model, making it simpler to resume riding after stopping on an ascent. When HSA is activated in such situations, and the rider releases the brake, the ABS modulator generates hydraulic pressure on the rear brake caliper, and the motorcycle will not roll backward if the rider uses the throttle to move forward within three seconds. Throughout the entire process, an HSA indicator will illuminate on the right side of the Gold Wing’s new 7-inch liquid-crystal display.

Cruise Control
Already available on the previous-generation Gold Wing but now ideally calibrated thanks to the incorporation of a throttle-by-wire system, Honda’s cruise control works to deftly manage a set speed in varying conditions, such as when traveling up a hill. For easy reference, the rider’s set speed is clearly shown in the lower left area of the meter.

Smart Key
The special feel of the all-new Gold Wing is illustrated by a new Smart Key. To start the engine, the rider only needs to have the Smart Key in his or her possession and to turn the main switch knob to the right, then press the start switch. To stop the engine, the switch knob must be turned to the left. Owners can also lock the steering by turning the handlebars while simultaneously turning the switch knob one more position to the left. As an added feature, the main switch knob will glow when the owner approaches the bike with the Smart Key in his or her possession. For security purposes, it is possible to turn the Smart Key off.

Miscellaneous
The 2018 Gold Wing is outfitted with Vehicle Viewfinder, meant for helping to locate the motorcycle (in large parking lots, for example). To activate, one must press and hold the Smart Key call button, which will activate the motorcycle’s hazard flashers and activate the horn.

The Gold Wing’s Tire Pressure Monitoring System has also been updated. Rather than only indicate when pressure drops below a certain level, TPMS on the Gold Wing Tour models constantly communicates pressure via numerals in the bottom left of the meter.

In a first for two-wheel category, all Gold Wing models are now compatible with Apple CarPlay, which enables the rider to access Apple Music and Maps, make phone calls, and send messages, all through the bike’s TFT display or with his or her voice through Siri. CarPlay requires use of a Bluetooth headset.

The meter itself is composed of an analog speedometer on the left, an analog tachometer on the right, and a 7-inch full-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid-crystal display that provides infotainment-related information such as audio and navigation app icons. The screen is also where the rider confirms settings for systems like HSTC and electric preload adjustment. The switches themselves, used for selecting settings and controlling the systems, are now more centrally located in the console area.

An optional feature for 2018, the Home Link System is a convenience when rides are just beginning or coming to an end, as it enables the rider to program the motorcycle with garage-opening and -closing remote-control information. The rider need simply press the button on the center console, and the garage will open or close, while a light on the ride side of the meter indicates the operation.

All 2018 Honda Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour come equipped with heated grips, while the Gold Wing Tour models also feature heated seats as standard equipment.

SUSPENSION

The sporty character of the new Gold Wing models will have riders searching for the next set of tight, twisting corners, and the new suspension solutions are meant to help tackle these sections of road with increased confidence, while still providing unparalleled comfort on the highway. All new for 2018, the Gold Wing manages this task through a unique double-wishbone front-suspension configuration and Pro-Link® rear-suspension design. Both suspension systems use Showa shocks, with the Gold Wing Tour models featuring electric preload adjustment for easily selecting the appropriate preload setting, depending on if a passenger and/or luggage are being carried.

On the Gold Wing Tour, front and rear damping force are electrically adjusted, with a stepping motor moving the needle in each system to control the oil flow rate and adjust front/rear damping force to mode-specific settings. On each Tour model, these suspension settings are linked to individual riding modes and do not change until a new riding mode is selected. On the Gold Wing Tour models, preload settings are displayed in the lower-right corner of the easy-to-read 7-inch TFT display. There are four electric preload settings to choose from. The Gold Wing model has manually adjustable rear preload.

dancr
1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

sophisticated two wheel CAR??????
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

It does still have only two wheels, right?
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

It is likely an awesome ride and I would love to ride one but I am afraid it is terribly over complicated for my liking. So not in the budget or on the list of must haves for this old guy.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate