New goldwing!

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New goldwing!

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Honda has done a good job at modernizing this flagship, and seem to have taken what the industry and riders want/need very seriously regarding touring. BMW, Yamaha, and HD have incrementally improved their bikes with the amenities that riders want and have been modifying their bikes to accommodate, and now have this one to contend with. Honda has stepped up their game and are looking at cornering the touring market once more. Dropping 90 pounds off the bike is a huge plus along with the other amenities. Have to win the lottery to get one of these and have a place to park it. Like the new technology but will keep my '85 LTD and '08 1800. Guess there will be a few good 1800 buys coming to the market fairly soon.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

look forward to the next years model coming from the factory with a teddy bear of your choice in matching colors
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

salukispeed wrote:It is likely an awesome ride and I would love to ride one but I am afraid it is terribly over complicated for my liking. So not in the budget or on the list of must haves for this old guy.
Boy, ain't this the truth. Imagine how it'll be maintaining one of these beauties 20 or 30 years from now. Honda will have moved onto the "next big things" and shops will be less willing to work on the "old" stuff. Then what? We're doing well keeping our 70's and 80's vintage machines running, but this is another story. Guess there will be "cottage" shops that acquire the tools and develop the expertise by that time. (There'd better be).

But this intrigues the heck out of me. Great advance - more for the space than the weight:
Starter
In another weight-saving measure, all Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models feature an Integrated Starter Generator system (ISG), which integrates the generator and starter-motor functions into one component. This incorporation allowed for removal of the starter motor and starter-system wiring, achieving a weight savings of 5.3 lbs. (2.4 kg). The system also reduces noise during starting.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Sorta old school... when I was in high school I some car that had a generator that was used as a starter as well. Probably a ford, .. or maybe a dodge,...can't remember. But fairly common in the day
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

No kidding. I must have been living under a rock. Don't recall ever hearing about it.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

:-D
Last edited by dontwantapickle on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Starter/generators are still common in the Aircraft world.

the 2018 bike makes my 06 look simple....but mind is paid fer...so no wants here.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Last edited by dontwantapickle on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudolphwolven
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by rudolphwolven »

The new high -tech 1800 Goldwing...........history repeats; both in technical performance of Honda and the reaction of its potential customers........
In 1975 the motorcycle world stood on his head with the introduction of the GL1000......."this new development went one step to far"........."it is a car on 2 wheels"......
But also comments like........."Torque-rich and ultra-refined, Honda's GL1000 Gold Wing transformed the touring market and affirmed Honda's place in engineering history"............

Last edited by rudolphwolven on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016---Image--- GL1000 K1 1975
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

rudolphwolven wrote:The new high -tech 1800 Goldwing...........history repeats; both in technical performance of Honda and the reaction of its potential customers........
In 1975 the motorcycle world stood on his had with the introduction of the GL1000......."this new development went one step to far"........."it is a car on 2 wheels"......
But also comments like........."Torque-rich and ultra-refined, Honda's GL1000 Gold Wing transformed the touring market and affirmed Honda's place in engineering history"............

Very true. What would have been the future if Honda had started the GW off as a 1500, like the prototype. It definitely would have set the motorcycle world on fire. The future of the GW is not with us older gents, but those coming up behind us. In defense of this is the want for our generation to incorporate our electronics into the bikes we presently ride. We want better tire life, maybe this new suspension will accomplish this. It has been stated that Bluetooth connectivity should be done - here it is. Maybe the GW will continue to be known as the quintessential great touring bike, and get rid of the additional perception/stigma of also being an older persons heavy bike. Interesting that it weighs the same if not sometimes less than a similar HD, but the HD is a cool bike, not a heavy bike - perception.

I for one think Honda has finally paid attention and has in some ways surpassed the competition with the new GW. It will not be everyone's cup of tea so to speak, but should get the attention of the masses. I would also like to see a 1200/1300 sized GW to take on this segment of the motorcycle world. Do what HD does, get the younger riders hooked on an HD then keep them in the fold so that they will upgrade to larger HDs - great marketing strategy.

I look forward to seeing the new 2018 GW at the Toronto Motorcycle show in January. I expect there will be a lot of interest in it.

The future just got a little brighter. Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Beetleman
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Beetleman »

I think the guys from the old space shuttle program moved over to the Honda Goldwing program. That's a lot of technology for a motorcycle.

I wonder how big the owners manual is, can you still keep it on the bike or do you have to store it on a shelf in your garage. It would be neat if they downloaded it into the Goldwings computer so you can review it using the motorcycles monitor. It wouldn't take up compartment space and you would never lose it.
1978 gl1000 Not Nice bike.
1978 gl1000

Taking 10 minutes every day to use the bathroom at work is equal to one week's vacation.
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I wouldn't hesitate to get this Goldwing if I were in the market for a new bike for long distance cruises. After touring the country on a 2002 GL1800 I see nothing but improvements here. Old school is OK but new technologies are the way to go.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

If I could afford to buy that, I'd spend the money on something else! It is surely a nice ride but outta my price range.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Last edited by dontwantapickle on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I can do without out a lot but having a stereo means a lot to me.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!