New seat or new butt

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

New seat or new butt

Post by DUGG »

After our last long ride this past weekend I've come to the conclusion we either need a new seat or new butts if I'm going to convince the wife to keep go on trips. I see that Corbin and Saddle man both offer seats for my GL1100. I'm looking for feedback on these or any other seats that might be available.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: New seat or new butt

Post by Track T 2411 »

I have an older Saddleman (I bought it used from a member here) on my 1100. Best money I spent on the bike. There have been a couple of threads lately concerning other brands as well, and Corbin seats are discussed. Sagebrush posted a pretty good run down of the various brands he's experienced.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
mcgovern61
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mcgovern61 »

I also have an older Travelcade/Saddleman Road Sofa on my '82. When I first started riding it, I needed to use a sheepskin because the seat was not broken in yet and made me sore. After about 8K miles of riding, it started to soften a bit and shape to fit me. After that, I could ride all day without a sheepskin commonly doing 700 miles in a day.
Seat 2.JPG
Seat 2.JPG (64.17 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Sheepskin.JPG
Sheepskin.JPG (70.8 KiB) Viewed 284 times
82 update.jpg
82 update.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Gerry

Current ride: 82' GL1100
1st ride: 81' Suzuki GN400
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Never ridden on a new saddleman. Seems like all the ones I have tried were old and worn out. I spent the money and got Corbins on both my bikes. They take a long time to break in but are worth it in the long run I think.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

I bought a new Saddleman for the 1200 and it is very comfortable. Biggest problem I have is the summertime heat. Guess that is where the sheepskin or beads come in. You will find that it takes about 1000 miles to break in a new seat. Have never owned a Corbin.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

You don't break in a Corbin it breaks in your backside. Having said that I did have a Corbin touring saddle meant for a GL1000 mounted on a 1100. It's on the yellow bike in my signature. I found it to be very comfortable and could do long days on it without difficultly.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
todd54219
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by todd54219 »

I tried a Corbin gunfighter and found it un-comfortable. Corbin states you need to put several thousand miles on their seats to break them in. I ended up with a Hartco saddle and have been very pleased. It in not real pretty but it is comfortable. As most of us know, finding a comfortable seat for our older bikes is difficult. You cannot just run down to your local dealer and try one out. I took a gamble and paid $550 for mine sight unseen but it paid off. When I ride for distance I use the Hartco. For show, I use the stock seat. Looks great but kills my butt.

IMHO
Todd
Todd54219 - Common sense is not so common anymore
1976 Yellow GL1000
1966 White Honda CA95 (Baby Dream) under restoration - Done and sold
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

A couple thousand miles to break in? That would be a year or so of riding. I want relief now! I've noticed that the Saddlmans sell on ebay and are a lot less expensive than the Corbins. But if they are better/more comforable than I would have no problem spending the extra $.
mcgovern61
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mcgovern61 »

DUGG wrote:A couple thousand miles to break in? That would be a year or so of riding. I want relief now! I've noticed that the Saddlmans sell on ebay and are a lot less expensive than the Corbins. But if they are better/more comforable than I would have no problem spending the extra $.
My older Saddleman took about 8K miles and 2 years before I felt like it was broken in. At 5K miles, I was ready to change seats. The sheepskin bought me time for long distance rides, but now that it is broken in it is great!
Gerry

Current ride: 82' GL1100
1st ride: 81' Suzuki GN400
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

When I got my Saddleman for my 1100 I had 2 choices, either get a complete seat or get a kit that allowed me to use my existing seat pan and reupholster it myself. I was on a budget so I got the kit and reupholstered it myself and I'm satisfied with the results. Is it as comfortable as a Corbin? My bike never had a Corbin on it so I have no clue but it's definitely more comfortable than the original seat cover and padding which was actually too soft and had no support for my butt. The Saddleman is much firmer which at first you would think would be less comfortable but that wasn't the case. I wouldn't say it's out right comfortable but I can at least ride for a whole tank full of gas, refuel and get back on for another tank full where as the original seat cover and padding I could hardly make it 50 miles before having to get off and walk around.
Scott
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

I had huge trouble on long trips with my skinny butt (the only bit of me that is!). But when we did the Smokey Mountains run in 2013 I had an Airhawke (https://airhawk.net/) on the saddle and a pair of Moto-skivvys (http://motoskiveez.com/about-us/). Near 7K miles in 6 weeks and I had no problems!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

The heat is a factor. Last year we did over 900 mi with two really long days in the saddle. The weather was much cooler, about seventy out. Our latest trip it was about ninty out. After about fifty miles we needed to get off and take breaks. I've seen the Moto underwear and wondered if they help. Maybe I'll order us some and try them out. I don't want to add any extra pad like the air hawk as that would sit me higher up and change the ergonomics for me. I've also thought of trying the wooded "butt beads" to get air circulation. Yes I believe the stock saddle is too soft and firmer would be better. I like the idea of a kit and reusing the stock pan, but on the other hand my saddle is in good condition and I might be able to sell it and recoupe some of my money
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

With the Airhawke, you are only having sufficient air in it to 'float' your butt and thighs just above the saddle. It take a bit of experimenting to find your comfort spot, but believe me it is so worth it.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

DUGG wrote: I've seen the Moto underwear and wondered if they help. Maybe I'll order us some and try them out.
Or possibly Under Armour undershorts. I paid about $40 for 3 pairs of them on Amazon which isn't cheap for just 3 undershorts but they definitely do make a difference especially on a long ride. I had a friend give me an Airhawke that Old Fogey mentioned and my wife uses it on occasion and she says it does help but you do have to play with the air a bit to get it just right for you.
Scott
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

Old Fogey wrote:I had huge trouble on long trips with my skinny butt (the only bit of me that is!). But when we did the Smokey Mountains run in 2013 I had an Airhawke (https://airhawk.net/) on the saddle and a pair of Moto-skivvys (http://motoskiveez.com/about-us/). Near 7K miles in 6 weeks and I had no problems!

Which style of Moto skivvys did you get? Cruiser or sport?