Dual Weber 40 Setup

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Dual Weber 40 Setup

Post by desertrefugee »

I'm looking at a dual Weber setup: Carbs (IDF 40s), rebuild kits, jet kits, Randakk intakes, linkage, air cleaner. Items are very clean with little use. I see prices on these Weber 40s all over the map. What are used ones worth? I hate overspending out of ignorance.

Is 5 bills too much?

<Subject Name Edit>
Last edited by desertrefugee on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Value of a used Dual Weber 40 Setup?

Post by Whiskerfish »

I think so but I don't want them you do :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cyborg used to say "it is worth whatever you are willing to pay" or something to that effect. A complete kit like that would cost at least that much to put together so it saves you time and that is often good enough justification. I think a Lot depends on the make of the Carbs. If they are the real deal then they are expensive. If they are a knock off then maybe not worth it.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

True blue Weber.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

If they are true Webers, that is a great deal for 500....
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

The Path to a Dual Weber 40 Setup

Post by desertrefugee »

I ended up getting the Webers, intakes, linkage, rebuild kits, jet kits, several venturi sizes, and a complete NIB Dyna igntion. Guy still has a bunch o' stuff. I was tempted to clean him out, but I don't have the room. I'm not really looking to build a hot rod or expecting any serious performance enhancement. If it happens, great. I just love the in-your-face look of this setup. Cool as heck. The ignition stuff was a bonus. I'm already running the full setup, so I'll raffle it off.

The linkage is not plug-and-play. I'll be spending some time fabbing/finessing that. But, it'll have to wait for cooler garage temps so I can bond with it. Besides, I have an electric fuel pump to install...
IMG_5163.JPG
IMG_5163.JPG (98.03 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
IMG_5166.JPG
IMG_5166.JPG (101.74 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
IMG_5168.JPG
IMG_5168.JPG (100.63 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Good score. Looking forward to your take on this mod.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Wangthang
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Wangthang »

Heck of a deal..I see 1300 easy.
1977 Gl 1000
1976 F1 750 SS
1973 Ironhead chopper
2007 Road King
1974 dohc 450 chopper project
1976 Gl 1000 parts bike
600rr parts bike
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Thanks. Good deal, yes, but $1300? Not sure about that. Anyway, I just gotta get motivated and get going on it. Currently on the road in New Mexico, but the '78 is on the operating table getting a hydraulic clutch conversion. I need to finish that (finally) when I return back.

So, I'll be pulling a perfectly operating OEM rack and trade it for the Webers...yeah.

Stay tuned!
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Mogollon, New Mexico yesterday. More ghost towns today.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (274.69 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (361.53 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (298.66 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

I wish I was exploring ghost towns in New Mexico. What fun!
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Dual Weber 40 Setup

Post by desertrefugee »

I finally got motivated to take the plunge on these Webers. I was hesitant since the danged thing was running so well. I wanted to get some riding in! Did a few longish day trips and got that out of my system.

So, I've begun the conversion. Rebuilt the Webers (what a pleasure those things are to work on). Smoothed the welds on the intakes a bit, painted them, installed and got the carbs mounted. I have a crossbrace fashioned and just need to get the linkage hammered out. Then the fun begins...
IMG_5653.JPG
IMG_5653.JPG (114.21 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Unfortunately, part of the fun will be dealing with clearance issues. I knew it would be tight, but I didn't realize just how tight. I have some low profile stacks on order and will even have to trim those a bit. I'm also negotiating to get a couple of sacrificial shelter side covers to explore alternatives - without hacking my current ones.
IMG_5661.JPG
IMG_5661.JPG (76.37 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

See White Trash build by Greg Foresi. He notched the side covers
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Yeah, that's why I have the "spare" set of covers coming. I don't think I'll notch them like Greg did. I'm thinking something more along the lines of how the old Triump tanks were sculpted - i.e. they narrowed down toward the rear. Just an idea, but if I want to run a nice breather/air cleaners and not just naked stacks, something will have to happen.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Dual Weber 40 Setup

Post by desertrefugee »

Just about ready to spark this thing off and see if I can get it to run. Completed the the transfer linkage mock-up today. Still need to finalize the throttle tie-in. I may deviate from "standard" practice on this just a bit.

Also for now, I've addressed the clearance issue temporarily with some short stacks with socks. If I really want decent airboxes, I'll definitely need to modify some side covers. I have a line on a really cheap pair to hack up. It won't be a "scalloping" job, but more of a streamlining. (Similar to the lines Triumph tanks have always had).

...starting to get excited!
IMG_5663.JPG
IMG_5663.JPG (97.22 KiB) Viewed 989 times
IMG_5667.JPG
IMG_5667.JPG (119.57 KiB) Viewed 989 times
IMG_5672.JPG
IMG_5672.JPG (101.22 KiB) Viewed 989 times
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Dual Weber 40 Setup

Post by desertrefugee »

I'll be brief here, but thought I'd make a few initial comments on this conversion:

1) Holy fuel atomization! At WOT it runs better than it ever has. This is going to be fun.
2) See #1. I see a clutch in my future.
2) Super cold-blooded. Lean down low, perhaps?
4) There's a wicked dead spot in the transition circuit before the mains fire off. But, when they come on, it rolls out! That spot seems to vary a bit, but essentially between 3500 and 4000. Again points idle jets being too lean. I've got one step fatter jets already on the way.
5) Idle is not constant. I need to keep after it (idle speed) and the machine died on me a couple of times despite nursing the throttle. May still point to the suspected vacuum leak on the right side noted above.
6) Once I get this setup smoothed out, you'd better believe the early cams I have on hand are going in. Just for fun...

But, that brings me back to #1. I believe I'll enjoy this.