HD sales in trouble because millennials don't like bikes

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Beetleman
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: HD sales in trouble because millennials don't like bikes

Post by Beetleman »

Kids just aren't interested in driving like they were when I was in high school. We had to make our 19 year old take his driving test, he flat out wasn't interested. We have other friends that have kids with the same view on driving, just not interested. That was totally unthinkable when I was young.

I think kids are tought to be afraid of every thing. You have to wear a helmet when you ride your bikes. Are you crazy, you let your kids walk around the block, what about strangers?! You let your kid play football, your the worst worst parent ever! You can't have passengers in your car, your just 17 years old are you crazy! The list goes on and on. Kids are just brought up in more of a safety bubble than I was. I'm not necessarily saying it's wrong, it has kept my kids safer, it's just different.

Riding a motorcycle can be pretty dangerous. Kids just aren't that interested in taking that kind of risk. I read an article that said that we should all buy motorcycles before they are outlawed and made illegal.
1978 gl1000 Not Nice bike.
1978 gl1000

Taking 10 minutes every day to use the bathroom at work is equal to one week's vacation.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

The secret might be that in our day we wanted the independence from our parents. Todays kids enjoy being driven every where they want to do, and seem to leave home and get out on their own
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Beetleman wrote:Kids just aren't interested in driving like they were when I was in high school. We had to make our 19 year old take his driving test, he flat out wasn't interested. We have other friends that have kids with the same view on driving, just not interested. That was totally unthinkable when I was young.

I think kids are tought to be afraid of every thing. You have to wear a helmet when you ride your bikes. Are you crazy, you let your kids walk around the block, what about strangers?! You let your kid play football, your the worst worst parent ever! You can't have passengers in your car, your just 17 years old are you crazy! The list goes on and on. Kids are just brought up in more of a safety bubble than I was. I'm not necessarily saying it's wrong, it has kept my kids safer, it's just different.

Riding a motorcycle can be pretty dangerous. Kids just aren't that interested in taking that kind of risk. I read an article that said that we should all buy motorcycles before they are outlawed and made illegal.
Might be where you live.

My gf teaches drivers ed at night and every class is packed and students are always turned away.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Ya, I'm probably looking at the group thru tinted glasses. My wife and I have her 34 year old son living with us. He don.t drive, or walk much,...or contribute much,....but I degress :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

Don't worry about HD. They will always be around. They are truly an American icon. They could probably survive on just selling clothing. I'd buy one if they worn't so darn expensive.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
japcrap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by japcrap »

Whiskerfish wrote:Friend of mine recently got new phones for him and his Lady at 800 each!! I have bought numerous wings for less than that amount!! I think it is just lifestyle and priority choices.
Think this is also one of the reasons. Kids usually dont want what their parents wanted. I am an auctioneer and my company specializes in antiques. Believe me they dont want these anymore either. Many things were driven by the baby boomers that later generations cant sustain. When I think of HD now, I think its become way too trendy like Rolex watches and Jaguars. Once everyone has one, who cares, its not that special anymore. Plus I just cant picture these young blue haired he-shes riding Harleys, can you ?. Time to sell your stock :IDTS:
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

HD has been through lean periods many times throughout the last Century. They have buried and seen resurrected only to bury again any real US based competition. They generally make changes slowly but when they do it is with a high level of quality. Seems like it took forever for them to street the Fuel injection systems but those that have it love it. Judging from what I see in my town on a nice Sunday afternoon they are doing pretty darn well. So much brand loyalty it is hard to imagine any significant changes. They may take a hit but I seriously doubt they are in substantial trouble. As the millennial's age some at least will begin to appreciate their Fathers (and Mothers) values so I would not count them out of the bike scene.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Whiskerfish wrote:HD has been through lean periods many times throughout the last Century. They have buried and seen resurrected only to bury again any real US based competition. They generally make changes slowly but when they do it is with a high level of quality. Seems like it took forever for them to street the Fuel injection systems but those that have it love it. Judging from what I see in my town on a nice Sunday afternoon they are doing pretty darn well. So much brand loyalty it is hard to imagine any significant changes. They may take a hit but I seriously doubt they are in substantial trouble. As the millennial's age some at least will begin to appreciate their Fathers (and Mothers) values so I would not count them out of the bike scene.
What really helped HD in the recent past was that HD Credit was giving out money to just about anyone who asked.

It seemed that everyone had a new HD until the crash in 08.

You see many, many HDs at the auction and they can't get back the money that is owed on them.

Plus owning a HD was always seen as the "manly" bike to have.
SovietMike
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by SovietMike »

I'm a millennial and I guess I must be one of the few of my generation that works on their cars and bike, mainly because I don't trust other morons other than me touching my stuff, I still hunt, and gut my own deer. I also didn't go to college. But I work a full time and part time job to pay for my toys, but I do play video games and and do use my phone quite a bit but 97 percent of the time it because I'm on this site or looking for bike parts, and I'd love a harley but as it was said before they are expensive. I can't justify paying more for a bike than I did for all three of my current 4 wheeled vehicles combined, but a used goldwing that needs a little love to get back on the road I can do.
2004 Saturn Ion Redline Coupe
2007 Saturn Ion Coupe
2001 Jeep Cherokee Mud Truck
1979 Honda GL1000
1978 Honda CM185T
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Enough! Each sucessive generation usually gripe about the new generations. I spect that this has been true through the ages.
When they went from scrolls to books I suppose the old school scrollers were at odds with the whippersnappers and their books.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Lucien Harpress wrote:One last thing- more women riding motorcycles? TOTALLY a thing I can get behind. I still need a solid date, and if all things two wheels is a commonality I get get behind with an attractive female, I'm all for it. ;)
when Redwood started riding her own bike (early 80's) it was very on-common.... I am glad times have changed. Harley also offers "Women only" riders edge courses.

And guys.... we all have priorities about how we spend money.... I was fortunate, in California the state University system was free when I went through
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

77Gowing wrote:Enough! Each sucessive generation usually gripe about the new generations. I spect that this has been true through the ages.
When they went from scrolls to books I suppose the old school scrollers were at odds with the whippersnappers and their books.

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

heck.... I learned making divits in soft clay tablets :twisted:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

You know, I DO give this forum credit. It took two pages before things really got heated. (I'm not being sarcastic here. As far as motorcycle forums go, with a demographic that leans... older, I expected things to go belly up much sooner. The fact they didn't is something I think is pretty cool.)

As far as HD going under.... (at the risk of causing further arguments) I mean, at the end of the day, it's a business model, meant to make money. If they're smart (and a company this old should be), they'll adapt to the changing market demands, or lose money. If this means changing the product or changing the demands of the market (harder, but doable), either way they come out on top.

Worst case scenario, they go out of business and 30 years later get bought out and re-introduced by Polaris.... ;)
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Lucien Harpress wrote:You know, I DO give this forum credit. It took two pages before things really got heated. (I'm not being sarcastic here. As far as motorcycle forums go, with a demographic that leans... older, I expected things to go belly up much sooner. The fact they didn't is something I think is pretty cool.)

As far as HD going under.... (at the risk of causing further arguments) I mean, at the end of the day, it's a business model, meant to make money. If they're smart (and a company this old should be), they'll adapt to the changing market demands, or lose money. If this means changing the product or changing the demands of the market (harder, but doable), either way they come out on top.

Worst case scenario, they go out of business and 30 years later get bought out and re-introduced by Polaris.... ;)
You call anything in this thread "heated".

Now that's funny.