Pale Face Make Big Talk bout riding.

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Pale Face Make Big Talk bout riding.

Post by WingMan71 »

77Gowing wrote:... Thanks for your perspective on my situation it's much appreciated. I like the truth even if it comes unvarnished.
Oh gosh! I sure didn't intend to come across as mean spirited in my answer.

It's just that as a rider for more than 50 years now I have lived the problem of monkey butt and the implications of aging on that problem! :shock:

If I was still 20-something, or even 30-something, I would have an Indian Scout (or other cruiser) in my stable to ride. Unfortunately, I'm not! :IDTS:

The take-away: Ride what you like while you can!

1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

The biggest difference between your Gold Wing and your Indian Scout that affects long-distance comfort is the riding position.

You got monkey butt on your Indian Scout because of it's EXTREME FOOT-FORWARD RIDING POSITION! :(

A foot-forward riding position puts the vast majority of your weight far back on your butt cheeks and on your tailbone. Bad! Your thighs and the back of your upper legs take almost none of the weight in that position. That's bad from the get-go, and only gets worse the longer you ride in the position.

Yeah, it looks cool to be crusin' down the street with your legs sticking way out in front of you like the "Keep on Truckin" man from back in the sixties (Google it), but that's all about it ergonomically that's cool.

On your Gold Wing, with your feet much farther back and actually under your thighs, your weight is shared much more evenly between your butt and the back of your upper legs. Also, with your feet positioned there, you can lift yourself up off of the bike's seat now and then and reposition yourself a bit to change the load slightly. Just try to push yourself up off the seat with a foot-forward riding position. Very hard to do, if even possible.

Bottom line is that cruisers with foot-forward riding positions are good for two things only: 1. Looking cool. 2. Very young riders! :IDTS:

Changing the seat is not likely to help you all that much. Unless you move the foot pegs back about two feet you'll have the same problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of an Indian Scout. But, at 60-something, there is no way for me to ride one much farther than a 30 minute local jaunt.

Having been a long time Goldwing rider, Gl1100, Gl1500 and Gl1800 I agree with most of what you said. However, I downsized to a Suzuki Cruiser (gasp) last year and while it certainly does have the foot forward riding position you describe it doesn't mean that the ride can't be improved from stock. I have enough experience with getting bikes to fit me and my riding style to know immediately that I needed handlebar pullbacks and an aftermarket seat. After installing these on my C50 the ride comfort was much improved, just like it would be on the Indian Scout.

77Gowing's main problem is he doesn't have enough experience riding to know exactly what he needs to improve his ride and believe me it can be improved. But not having ridden a scout, even though I want to, and not knowing 77Gowings dimensions relative to his bike its hard to make a specific recommendation. All I can say is it might be a costly experiment for him to find the right combination of aftermarket components to tame the ride on his Scout, but it can be done. Mustang has a terrific reputation regarding cruiser seating and after installing one of their products on my Suzuki I couldn't be happier. I can ride a 150 miles at a time on that bike without stopping which is a little less than the 200+ miles I could do on my Gl1800, although on an all day ride I try to force myself to stop every 80 to 100 miles because at the end of a 300+ mile day I'll feel better if I do.

One thing I can highly recommend is a drivers backrest. They improve the ride in so many ways, on a cruiser it will tend to lock you into a singular riding position so you're not sliding all over the seat. Also they allow you to relax your back muscles so you don't have to strain to maintain a good riding posture particularly on a long day's ride when you get tired and tend to want to slump. Additionally you can use a backrest to relieve the strain on your bottom by pushing back and up against the back rest to raise your bum off of the seat for short periods of time, you can't imagine how much relief this maneuver can bring, particularly on a hot day with monkey but setting in.

A Scout or any cruiser will never be a Goldwing which is designed from the ground up as a mile eating tourer but a cruiser can certainly be improved upon to make it a reasonable alternative even for a 66 year old rider like me.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

Sagebrush wrote:... A Scout or any cruiser will never be a Goldwing which is designed from the ground up as a mile eating tourer but a cruiser can certainly be improved upon to make it a reasonable alternative even for a 66 year old rider like me.
Agreed! action1

But then there's this: If you put a rider's backrest on an Indian Scout, wouldn't you lose your man card?! :shock:

Just kidding! :mrgreen:

1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

WingMan71 wrote:
77Gowing wrote:... Thanks for your perspective on my situation it's much appreciated. I like the truth even if it comes unvarnished.
Oh gosh! I sure didn't intend to come across as mean spirited in my answer.

It's just that as a rider for more than 50 years now I have lived the problem of monkey butt and the implications of aging on that problem! :shock:

If I was still 20-something, or even 30-something, I would have an Indian Scout (or other cruiser) in my stable to ride. Unfortunately, I'm not! :IDTS:

The take-away: Ride what you like while you can!

Wingman71, you did not come across mean spirited at all in my book. You were simply telling me the truth as you see it and I appreciate it seriously. It's true I'm a baby to riding as I have only been at it infrequently for a month. I did not know that a cruiser is really not meant for long distance. I'm quite portly (348 lbs), am new to cycling, and very cautious but I am getting better at riding. I've learned a lot of hard lessons with my build and my foray into riding but that comes with the territory. I'm enjoying being newly retired and still learning something new everyday. So, BUCK up, no shame or harm in what you said, I prefer that you were forthright.

Take care & God bless.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
My Album: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=60678

Post by Goboy »

Good for scouting around anyway. :lol: A good back rest or even a back support belt would help. At our age looks secondary to comfort. :lol:
You're too small to ride a hog Billy!

Mike
1978 GL1000
Previous bikes: 05 Yamaha FJR 1300, 79 Suzuki GS 1000, 75 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Kawasaki S2 350
UltraRunner
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by UltraRunner »

My suggestion is very simple, and a cure-all for many, many issues: ride more. I don't mean longer rides, I mean more frequent rides. My perspective is different when I get on my bike every single day, even if it is just for a short errand. Aside from the mental benefits, pertinent to your post are two mostly physical things- my body is accustomed to being on the bike, and comfortable on the bike. Second, and probably more important, is confidence. When you are on the bike every day, skills stay sharp. If you only ride occasionally, your skills get rusty.

You mentioned in this post as well as the bike night post that you are a new rider- ride enough that you are comfortable being on a bike before you get too concerned with ergonomics and spend a lot of money chasing issues. Before you worry about the small issues, you need to be able to relax on the bike. Until you do, your body will be tense, and you'll be trying to fix issues that may or may not exist once your body relaxes.
'77 GL 1000 - sold, sad to see it go
'80 GL1100 that is garage decor.
'81 GL1100 that I finally put on a table to work on.
'94 BMW R1100RS Very fun bike.
'04 BMW K1200GT Haven't spent any time on it yet.
'07 FLHX - I'm in love with this bike. My daily driver.
IBA # 66429
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

For longer rides I've found that less padding makes for a longer day .... also a wider seat gives me room to move around a bit .... I have a cheap Vietnamese seat on my 1200 and it works well for me ....

Gord (see last month's BOTM for pic) Jones
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

UltraRunner wrote:My suggestion is very simple, and a cure-all for many, many issues: ride more. I don't mean longer rides, I mean more frequent rides. My perspective is different when I get on my bike every single day, even if it is just for a short errand. Aside from the mental benefits, pertinent to your post are two mostly physical things- my body is accustomed to being on the bike, and comfortable on the bike. Second, and probably more important, is confidence. When you are on the bike every day, skills stay sharp. If you only ride occasionally, your skills get rusty.

You mentioned in this post as well as the bike night post that you are a new rider- ride enough that you are comfortable being on a bike before you get too concerned with ergonomics and spend a lot of money chasing issues. Before you worry about the small issues, you need to be able to relax on the bike. Until you do, your body will be tense, and you'll be trying to fix issues that may or may not exist once your body relaxes.
as a new rider I agree with this. I am much more relaxed now than I was this time last summer..
plus I keep my rides to 60 miles or less for now.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I bought my first street bike (a '71 CB750) in 1976. That began a long succession of machines. Comfort is a funny thing on a motorcycle. Few have it for extended rides. The Goldwing does. But, I have found that, on long rides, the discomfort comes and goes for me. I don't know if it's cyclical psychologically or I'm shifting posture and getting relief. The exception is my current '78 and it's riding posture. 200 miles in one day tops. Period. Any more and I'm one knotted mess of muscle cramps.

Some good suggestions I've heard here for the Scout:
1) Risers or pullback the bars a bit.
2) Mustang seat. I have one on the Valkyrie. The firmness is perfect - and I do rides in the 1000 of miles on that seat.
3) Back rest. One of the best things I ever did for long ride comfort. Again, on the Valk.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

a friend of mine did a ride across the US and back across Canada on his vulcan and he bought a sheepskin for the seat before he left..
used to see bikes with them all the time years ago
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)