Pale Face Make Big Talk bout riding.

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Pale Face Make Big Talk bout riding.

Post by 77Gowing »

A few days past I posted my observations about bike nights and that I noted that everyone stands around shooting the bull when I would prefer to use my time riding. Well, I have been humbled a bit today.
After being in hospital for most of the day yesterday being treated for non life threatening issue, I got up this morning and the day was absolutely gorgeous. So, round one in the after noon I told the Mrs I think I'm feeling good enough for a ride.
So I told her I'm going up to Port Huron along the lake shore from New Baltimore and it would be my longest ride.
I went out to my garage and thought about which bike I should take, the Wing or my new Indian Scout. Being that I'm a little bit squirrely on the Wing cause I'm a new rider i thought since my route is a new route to me I should take the Scout since I have more seat time on it. Let me tell you the ride was great till I get to around Mary'sville and my derriere was killing me. I had to stop and take a short walk, get some water and hit the can etc. Then I went on my way on up to Pine Grove park at water's edge just south of the blue water bridge. What a sight. The trip home was uneventful except I noted how much me rearend hurt and I was getting throttle claw and clutch claw so I had to take another break. It was then while I was resting that my words came back to me about what I said that I'd rather be riding. Indeed I would, but not while in pain. So Big Chief blowing cloud learned his lesson, that he is a panzy. So just an afternoon's ride whooped my rearend.
I doff my war bonnet to you that ride on those long trips that you take. :oops:
Now that I know the route I'm going to take my GL out and see if I find it more comfortable than the Indian. I know I sit taller in the saddle. Maybe I need to spend more Wampum for a better seat? Hmmm?, pale face sound like first class sucker.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Pale Face Make Big Talk bout riding.

Post by 5speed »

:lol:
After well over a week of rain and cold temps..today was beautiful. After mowing the lawn I decided to go for a ride as well..
I rode for approx and hour and a half and made one stop for gas..
No sore butt, hands or back.
I was riding my wife's 2002 Shadow 750.
A change I made recently may have helped.
I drink coffee..not a lot but I drink it and milk..nothing else..except some water in my whiskey. lol
While at my massage therapist, getting my back worked on before walking down the hall to my chiropractor for more work on my back we got talking about exercise,etc and she asked me how much water I drink..
I told her not much unless coffee counts.
She told me coffee dehydrates you (which I sort of knew) and I should drink more water.
So..even knowing this for years and never doing it I decided to start.
I have no idea how much I'm drinking a day but at the minimum it's 4 large glasses.
I can't believe the difference it has made.
All those little aches and pains we normally associate with "your old"..all gone.
My back hasn't hurt in over a week..which is a change from hurting every day.
If you don't drink a lot of water..might be worth giving it a try.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
detdrbuzzard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by detdrbuzzard »

did you take m-29 into port huron? did you visit Thomas Edison park or go around to the lighthouse? loosen your death grip on the controls and your hands won't be so sore
'75cb750, '79cb750 super K, '79cb750f,
'99 ST1100,'93gl1500se, '70 ct70H, '05sunL70
'06 ST1300a
... william
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Yeah George, I am a sparse water drinker.
Buzzard, yes I took m29 up to edison park.
Tha ride was beautiful.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I have seldom found a stock seat worth the powder to........... well you know. If mustang makes a seat for the Indian then you should invest in it. Without a proper fitting seat your motorcycle is nearly worthless to you.
loosen your death grip on the controls and your hands won't be so sore
This is so true. New riders often hold on to the controls with a death grip............. I did :)

Also ride your bike enough to determine whether or not you are having to reach forward for the handlebars resulting in your neck being at an un-natural angle. This will result in pain and soreness in your neck and shoulders. It's different for everyone depending on the bike and the rider's height. If you are experiencing neck and shoulder pain then a set of handlebar risers/setbacks may be in your future.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Thanks Dean I'll heed your advise.
It's true I've been a death gripper, but as I get more time in the saddle I find I am relaxing more. Will look into mustang seat.
Thanks again.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

77Gowing wrote:Yeah George, I am a sparse water drinker.
fill up a jug, throw it in the fridge then get it into ya. ;)
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
detdrbuzzard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by detdrbuzzard »

next time up in port huron take lunch at the freighter restaurant in Thomas Edison park or go back out on m-25 and have lunch at the day break café, its getting warm out and a little food and water is needed. also carry a bottle of water, warm water is better than no water cause soon you'll want to ride up to port Austin. there are a few roadside parks on the way up to stop at of some nice views of lake huron, the parks start around Lexington. me? I'm heading to sault ste marie on the 23rd for some yooperland fun then to Muskegon around july 15th for Muskegon bike times
'06 ST1300a
... william
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Thanks detdrbuzzard good suggestions all. I'll take room temp water with me and make sure I drink it.
I did some research on the Indian Scout seat and there are many that say for long rides the seat sucks. Indians suggestion is just to get used to it, yeah right. I found a Company in Indiana that will basically rebuild the internals of the seat with a proprietary gell and some form of memory foam. The cost is little compared with buying a Corbin or Mustang. I'm going to go that route else I'll just use the Scout for around town and go with the Wing for longer rides. Besides, soon my son will be able to ride with me and he can take the Scout.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I have to say Kenny that I have the same issue on longer rides where my butt gets numb.
I took my GL1800 for a good long rideout today and did not suffer numbutt. It has a Corbin seat which is much firmer and more supportive than the standard seat.
If I went on the same ride on my GL1500 which has the standard seat then I would have lost contact with my butt after 80 miles or so. I bought a corbin seat for it
last year but have not gotten round to fitting it yet. The standard 1200 seat is good for me for long rides.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Liam wrote:I have to say Kenny that I have the same issue on longer rides where my butt gets numb.
I took my GL1800 for a good long rideout today and did not suffer numbutt. It has a Corbin seat which is much firmer and more supportive than the standard seat.
If I went on the same ride on my GL1500 which has the standard seat then I would have lost contact with my butt after 80 miles or so. I bought a corbin seat for it
last year but have not gotten round to fitting it yet. The standard 1200 seat is good for me for long rides.
Thanks for the input Liam.
A friend suggested I get one of those air pumped cushions for my seat, they are round $100. After that I can mail my seat to a fellow who rebuilds the seat with Gel and proprietary foam and it is around $150. After that if it doesn't work for me I guess it will be a corbin seat, and if that doesn't work then might as well get a different bike after I unload the Indian.
Haven't taken my GW on a long ride yet but I believe it sits better with the Corbin it has.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

On other forums many have tried the air pump cushions and other style cushions on various different bikes and almost all were disappointed. I would save my money and buy a decent seat. Corbin seats are very ergonomically correct and support the rider very well but the foam is hard. Corbin tells you you need to ride a thousand miles to break it in, I personally believe its not the seat that gets broken in but the rider's anatomy where it contacts the seat. I have a friend that had one on an 1800 and he claimed it was carved from a single block of oak.

Its difficult and expensive to try different seats to see which one is best for you. Do your research, including on the guy that will customize your stock seat to see what riders think of them. I've used Corbin, Ultimate, Diamond and Mustang seats on different bikes over the years. I will say all were a great improvement over stock. Corbin was hard and because its natural leather it shows scuff marks easily, Diamond on my 1800 was a very good seat but the vinyl scuffed easily and the seams were not weatherproof, Ultimate on my wife's 1800 is very comfortable doesn't scuff and the seams are weatherproof. I currently have a Mustang on my Suzuki C50 Cruiser and I really like it, firm but has some give in the foam and so far the vinyl hasn't shown any deterioration and the seams are weatherproof.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
detdrbuzzard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by detdrbuzzard »

it may just be that the seat on the scout is just too low, I have that problem with my 1500 wing. I bought saddleman seat but it was still too low so I picked up a gel-pad. I didn't get the gel-pad for comfort but to raise me up an inch or so
'06 ST1300a
... william
WingMan71
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by WingMan71 »

The biggest difference between your Gold Wing and your Indian Scout that affects long-distance comfort is the riding position.

You got monkey butt on your Indian Scout because of it's EXTREME FOOT-FORWARD RIDING POSITION! :(

A foot-forward riding position puts the vast majority of your weight far back on your butt cheeks and on your tailbone. Bad! Your thighs and the back of your upper legs take almost none of the weight in that position. That's bad from the get-go, and only gets worse the longer you ride in the position.

Yeah, it looks cool to be crusin' down the street with your legs sticking way out in front of you like the "Keep on Truckin" man from back in the sixties (Google it), but that's all about it ergonomically that's cool.

On your Gold Wing, with your feet much farther back and actually under your thighs, your weight is shared much more evenly between your butt and the back of your upper legs. Also, with your feet positioned there, you can lift yourself up off of the bike's seat now and then and reposition yourself a bit to change the load slightly. Just try to push yourself up off the seat with a foot-forward riding position. Very hard to do, if even possible.

Bottom line is that cruisers with foot-forward riding positions are good for two things only: 1. Looking cool. 2. Very young riders! :IDTS:

Changing the seat is not likely to help you all that much. Unless you move the foot pegs back about two feet you'll have the same problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of an Indian Scout. But, at 60-something, there is no way for me to ride one much farther than a 30 minute local jaunt.

Last edited by WingMan71 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1983 GL650 Silver Wing Interstate
2006 Gold Wing GL1800 CSC Trike
1982 CB750 Custom
1976 Gold Wing GL1000 LTD - SOLD :(
1987 Gold Wing GL1200A Aspencade - SOLD :(
U.S. Navy SWO 1967-1976
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

WingMan71 wrote:The biggest difference between your Gold Wing and your Indian Scout that affects long-distance comfort is the riding position.

You got monkey butt on your Indian Scout because of it's EXTREME FOOT-FORWARD RIDING POSITION! :(

A foot-forward riding position puts the vast majority of your weight far back on your butt cheeks and on your tailbone. Bad! Your thighs and the back of your upper legs take almost none of the weight in that position. That's bad from the get-go, and only gets worse the longer you ride in the position.

Yeah, it looks cool to be crusin' down the street with your legs sticking way out in front, but that's all about it that's cool.

On your Gold Wing, with your feet much farther back and actually under your thighs, your weight is shared much more evenly between your butt and the back of your upper legs. Also, with your feet positioned there, you can lift yourself up off of the bike's seat now and then and reposition yourself a bit to change the load slightly. Just try to push yourself up off the seat with a foot-forward riding position. Very hard to do, if even possible.

Bottom line is that cruisers with foot-forward riding positions are good for two things only: 1. Looking cool. 2. Very young riders! :IDTS:

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of an Indian Scout. But, at 60-something, there is no way for me to ride one much farther than a 30 minute local jaunt.

I fear I get your point. With my personality I most never decide to do something just because it's cool. I chose the Scout as a newbie rider based on what I saw of the engine & the engineering and of course the bling. I guess it's my round town bike and the one my son will ride when we ride together. A lot of money just to tool around town. Thanks for your perspective on my situation it's much appreciated. I like the truth even if it comes unvarnished.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing