Valkyrie Input

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Valkyrie Input

Post by propav8r »

Has anybody here owned/ridden one of the 1500 Valkyries? I love my '78 GL1000, but it's not really well suited to long trips. It could be, with a different seat and some luggage, but then it wouldn't be the naked wing I wanted to build.

I think a Valkyrie is probably going to be my next bike...good mix of mostly naked styling, with some provision for basic bags, plus that boxer motor I like.

Keep in mind, I'm relatively new to riding. I've spent some time on Dad's Shadow 750, but it just feels gutless and vibey. His Vulcan 2100 is smoother and has great grunt, but I'm still not a fan of the v-twin thing.

Maybe step one is finding a Valkyrie I could take for a ride, but the bike seems like it'll check all my boxes. Does anyone here own one or have experience with them? Anything to watch out for?
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Valkyrie Input

Post by 5speed »

zero experience with one but a friend up mine upgraded to one from his goldwing a few years ago and still has it. He is a mechanic and extremely fussy when it comes to all things mechanical.
to bad you weren't closer. the shop I bought my wifes shadow from has one for sale.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I rode an Interstate once. Intoxicating.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

Contact Earl43p and Halfnaked, they both ride Valkyries.

....Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Don't try one unless you've already saved up for at least three weeks ....

Gord :IDTS:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

I've ridden two of my brother's Valks extensively. One is the full-on Interstate package, the other is a Tourer (bagger w/shield) and is sitting in my driveway for the summer. I'll be getting out on it regularly. My bike is an 83 bagger. I usually run with a small shield but will mount a larger Plexifairing III for long trips.

Valks got the kind of torque that you don't notice that you have a passenger. Gobs of it. You sit lower, you don't have the same turn radius and they are HEA-VEY. Solid feel when at speed but you need to careful in the parking lot. Of course, you get used to the clutch feel and balance over time as with any bike but you still have some limitations on low speed maneuverability.

Personally, I like my 1100 for solo riding - touring or getting sporty-like on the back roads. In comparison, it almost feels nimble. I can back up my 1100 (usually). I don't want to back up the Valk. Ever.

If I were to ride two-up regularly, I'd go with a Valk. Thankfully, that is not my lot.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

We have a couple Interstates...big bikes. Good Bikes as well!

Couple minor things to watch out for. Petcocks can fail, which faced with the perfect storm, can result in hydro locking. Most of the times it doesn't bend rods, but does break gears in the back of the engine, and can also crack the rear cover. The other big thing that comes to mind is rear end maintence...many are running dry shafts and joints...should check it over every time the rear wheel is off.

Any other specific questions, feel free to ask.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

I did notice that the petcock was "all floaty like" even though what appears to be the mount panel is rigid. Is that by design or a sign of impending doom?
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
gargoyle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by gargoyle »

wingrider wrote:We have a couple Interstates...big bikes. Good Bikes as well!

Couple minor things to watch out for. Petcocks can fail, which faced with the perfect storm, can result in hydro locking. Most of the times it doesn't bend rods, but does break gears in the back of the engine, and can also crack the rear cover. The other big thing that comes to mind is rear end maintence...many are running dry shafts and joints...should check it over every time the rear wheel is off.

Any other specific questions, feel free to ask.
I'll just drop this link about a possible cure for the petcock issue.
http://www.horseapple.com/Valkyrie/Tech ... utoff.html
Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Earl43P »

Stock petcock does feel loose, but has a distinct detent for each position. Most don't trust the stock one, but I do because I test it frequently.

Truth be told, I ride my 93 Wing WAY more than my 99 Valk IS. But when it's time to ride in the mountains, the Valk goes. That may change once I start riding the ST1300 more.

I would never recommend a Valkyrie for a novice rider. It's heavy, harder to slow maneuver, and can easily spin the rear tire just by opening the throttle hard in second gear. It's a handful in high speed sweepers and can and does scrape the pegs. Heck, I scrape on several on and off ramps not even pushing it hard.

I plan my parking spots because it IS hard to back it up uphill. Otherwise it doesn't bother me. My 93 has no reverse either.

The biggest issue for me is the Valk is so top heavy compared to any Wing. The IS has a 7 gal tank, add a passenger and you'll be very sensitive to their every twitch, especially when going slow or stopped. At least I am with my 32" inseam, 5'11 and 175 lbs. A bigger guy might not have that issue.
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

gargoyle wrote:...snip...

I'll just drop this link about a possible cure for the petcock issue.
http://www.horseapple.com/Valkyrie/Tech ... utoff.html
I have those installed on both Valks, and modified the petcocks to be manual, no vacuum. Great idea on a Valk.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1974 Suzuki GT550
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

I love the Valkyrie Std and find the Interstate to be a bit of a pig comparatively speaking. I have quickly detachable windshield, saddle bags and back rest luggage for long trips as I prefer the naked bike upon reaching my destination. You can "Interstate" a standard for more midrange umph and quicker throttle response for not much money. Big difference. It fits me well but I have long arms and legs. Going to a Pingel petcock and plugging the #6 vacuum hose greatly reduces the chance of hydrolock, which did occur once with my 97. Great bike with scary acceleration . It was a hoot negotiating Deal's Gap the first year I had it, really proving itself. I love the 79 Wing for day rides and just having fun though.
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

BTW, I trust my Wing to go anywhere, but now I have a choice. I find naked Gold Wings more motorcycle-like than the Ferrari like Valk.
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

There is no doubt that they are a big, heavy bike. They scoot right along when you twist the wrist, and can drink fuel with the best of them! Those 6 carbs can be a bit thirsty. Add a supercharger or turbo, and they can drink even more!

Parking lot speeds they can be a bit of a handful, but once they get moving, they seem to shed weight. I haven't ridden one without a trunk on it, but would guess they would ride a bit nicer. The IS tank is nice cause you can go farther, but does add a little to the top. A Wing is certainly a lower center of gravity with the tank below the seat.

One nice thing about the IS, is you can remove the trunk and modify it to go on and off rather quickly. That mod is known as a Super Valk.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1974 Suzuki GT550
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

With the mods I've done I can get 180 miles out of my 5 gallon tank with a relaxed wrist.
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS