Thoughts on bike trade....

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Thoughts on bike trade....

Post by Whiskerfish »

Different places have different rules about them. Here in Virginia no thruways and only ride to and from club/ antique events and there is also a mileage restriction. Some places you receive a substantial break on Insurance by using them.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

In Washington they're called Collector plates. The advantage is you don't pay for tabs each year. Insurance is unaffected.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Whiskerfish wrote:Different places have different rules about them. Here in Virginia no thruways and only ride to and from club/ antique events and there is also a mileage restriction. Some places you receive a substantial break on Insurance by using them.
Ya supposedly you can only use them on Sundays and other restrictions here but no one bothers you if you sue it all the time.

You also don't need to get a yearly safety inspection, no idea why tho.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

I'm paying $40 a year insurance for my Wing as a 2nd bike here in Canada (Quebec). The downside...... is $570 sumpin' per bike for plates. They get you either way.
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

Dirty Dave wrote:I'm paying $40 a year insurance for my Wing as a 2nd bike here in Canada (Quebec). The downside...... is $570 sumpin' per bike for plates. They get you either way.
$570 just to register it?

You get nothing else for that ?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Dirty Dave probably only has a six month riding season, and the insurance is probably pro-rated such that if you were to cancel for the off season you wouldn't get any rebate, something like boat insurance. Every province is different, but you are stuck between a rock and a hard place up here.

No sense in dwelling on the specifics, just do what you have to to have as good a quality of life as you can.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Dirty Dave
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dirty Dave »

They hit sports bikes for more than twice that registration fee. As Rednaxs said, you do what you gotta do in order to ride. I'd own many more bikes if not for the greedy politicians. I know of one person from Montreal who gave her bike away to a friend in Massachusetts in order to be able to ride it once in a while. As Bruce Cockburn wrote, "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
1978/9 GL1000
1997 Honda Valkyrie
2018 Kawasaki Z900 RS
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I think this thread has run it's course. No longer about what it was started for.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

Here in Michigan, a "historic" plate is available. According to the law, such a vehicle is "used only for historical club activities, parades, car shows, etc. and not for routine transportation". I think most cops don't really enforce this, but that is the law. Given this "intended use", I know that most insurers will give a significant discount on insurance.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
Nybz
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Nybz »

Proud excited new owner of a 1979 cb750 ltd.

Starting a Honda museum here pretty soon....they are starting to breed!

25k KMs, all stock. Going to keep it for collectors plates but give her a good go over. Seals, bearings, shocks, coils, gaskets, electrics, ss brakes, master cylinder, tires, battery, brakes, raandacks (sp?) carb kit. No more room at the house, so I rolled it into one of my greenhouses to rip it apart. Soon it's gonna be a frame and engine.

Still riding the goldwing and loving it, but it is up for sale, along with the Cm400t.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their ideas and knowledge, it has been fun learning along side everyone here.
Attachments
IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG (182.09 KiB) Viewed 140 times
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG (229.16 KiB) Viewed 140 times
IMG_2308.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG (360.49 KiB) Viewed 140 times
IMG_2325.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG (356.66 KiB) Viewed 140 times
1980 Cm400t rebuilt Sold!
1982 GL1100 .....riding/rebuilding
1979 CB750 LTD rebuilding

My other daily rider is my Honda rotortiller FR600. Rip it up!
anim-cheers1
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

You are all quoting wildly different rates, but not what the coverage is for each of those rates. That must surely make a difference, although I know that different States vary considerably as Doug has told me.

Over here, various insurance companies will offer you:
Comprehensive - you, bike and everyone else involved more or less are covered for just about anything other than the proverbial 'Act of God'. That can get expensive. If you are buying new on the never-never, your finance company will insist on this cover.
TFT or Third party Fire and Theft - Just as it says, it covers anyone or anything belonging to someone else that you damage, the bike if it goes up in flames or if it's stolen. It does not cover anything appertaining to you or your bike in the case of an accident.
Basic 'Road Act' cover - simply Third Party insurance, nothing else.
Classic - which most of our old stuff before a rolling cut-off date can be insured under. This generally a cheap option but usually has a limited mileage clause in it, which most times is not a problem. But the payout is also limited. That can be mitigated by having 'Agreed Value' whereby you send full details of the bike, photos, receipts for the rebuild perhaps, or expert valuations. Obviously this puts the price up. This is what The Swan was insured under.( they argued the value, I sent them 172 receipts, they stopped arguing!)

Here you cannot put your bike on the road without paying the 'road tax'. You cannot pay that without insurance and the test certificate in place.
TNTbefree wrote:Wow. That's a lot of coin for bike insurance. Don't need it here if the bike is paid for and you wear proper gear.
So what happens in a your-fault accident? Presumably you put your hand in your pocket and pay out. But if you can't?
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

If you are in Canada and you are young and not too experienced as a rider then you will pay dearly for insurance and the bigger the bike the bigger the premium. The CB750 isn't a Goldwing, yet it will be light years ahead of the CB400 in terms of power and smoothness.
Being a LTD model may pay you some dividends in the future, yet I wouldn't buy it with that in mind. The DOHC motors are a great motor and it is probably rubber mounted, as the later 80's models are and that helps quell any vibration a little more than the SOHC metal on metal motor mounts.
If you can get a good deal on insurance on the CB750 then I would consider it as a bike to ride.These old Wings are fun, yet quite costly in most cases to restore and fairly complex to work on too. They have a very limited upside potential in terms of making any money back from all the work and parts purchased to restore one IMO.
If you are older and an experienced rider with a clean driving record and a number of years of bike insurance then the best deal I have found is Dalton Timmis the broker and their Home for Chrome Vintage bike program. You will need to get each bike appraised and I have three bikes insured for full coverage with $1M medical and full appraised value for the bikes for $750. for all three.
Congrats on the new addition and it looks really clean for the year and low Klm's. Worth checking the the valve clearance as they are a shim on bucket design and tend to get neglected because of the cost in a shop to do the work back in the day. They will burn valves if left too long as the gap tightens over time with use and the valves can't fully close. If you need a FSM I have one for the CB900 series which are pretty well identical and can send you a copy by Google Drive. Just PM me with the request.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.