Tool Kit/Roadside kit - suggestions welcome

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Tool Kit/Roadside kit - suggestions welcome

Post by MegaDan »

So, I am planning ahead on a long trip I want to make next year with my bike. Part of that trip means I am trying to plan ahead for inevitable roadside frustrations. It's a 40+ year old bike, and even with new tires, fresh fluids, etc I know that stuff happens. So, I am wanting to put together an effective tool/roadside set, but I want to strike the balance between Boy scout prepared and light as possible. I have a list I put together, feel free to critique it, add, subtract or alter. Im used to large vehicles where I can carry anything and everything, but with limited space, this is proving more interesting.

Tools:
8,10,12,14mm combo wrenches
Adustable wrench.
Vice Grips
Multi-tool with pliers, knife etc.
1/4 and/or 3/8 ratchet
Two 3" extensions
8-14mm sockets
Allen/Hex sockets or Keys
Small Torx socket set.
Magnetic Screwdriver kit with various bits
Portable Tire Irons

Other/roadside:
Flashlight with emergency strobe feature (already have one)
Small assmortment of zip ties.
small coil of bailing wire.
Electrical tape
Bic Lighter
small first aid kit
Spare inner tubes for both tires
Tire air pump (not sure what type)
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Tool Kit/Roadside kit - suggestions welcome

Post by Gowing »

Bring a spare coil, spare battery, coolant, duct tape, old points if have dyna. And never need them I bet.
Solar charger for phone and battery.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Gowing wrote:spare battery,
I'm trying to decide if this is satirical or not lol. If not, man you pack heavy! I have a AAA card for roadside assistance if it gets THAT bad.

That does bring up a point. I need to track down a kickstart handle. Mine is MIA.
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

cell phone,...and a creditcard is all you need
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

CYBORG wrote:cell phone,...and a creditcard is all you need
As a 10 year OTR and Regional CDL Driver, I've learned that not everywhere has cell service. Especially the areas I will be running through at certain points being fairly remote as I don't plan to bomb around on just interstate highways the whole time. There are a few scenic detours I plan on taking. That said, the cell phone and credit card will be on board the whole time lol
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I understand that. I only ment it is hard to plan for a breakdown. Make sure the bike is checked over good before you leave. repair or replace anything that looks suspect, and go for it. Things can happen, but with over 400k on my 78, it has never left me stranded. Preventive maintenance is the best thing to do
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

CYBORG wrote:I understand that. I only ment it is hard to plan for a breakdown. Make sure the bike is checked over good before you leave. repair or replace anything that looks suspect, and go for it. Things can happen, but with over 400k on my 78, it has never left me stranded. Preventive maintenance is the best thing to do
My plan this winter is to give it a go-over. I know the timing belts are less than 2 years old and well within their service life, but i'm going to go ahead and replace hoses and filters, flush the brakes etc. I may go over the wiring as well and make sure there are no areas that have rubbed off insulation or poor connections.

Need to get my fuel gauge working too. Has a short or bad connection right at the gauge. might want to know if I am about to sputter out of gas....
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Been broke on the side of the road a few times and besides flat tires and broken cables the biggest issue I have had were wiring. So I carry wiring stuff.

But here is a post I made a while back about my road kit http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00#p436000
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Whiskerfish wrote:Been broke on the side of the road a few times and besides flat tires and broken cables the biggest issue I have had were wiring. So I carry wiring stuff.

But here is a post I made a while back about my road kit http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00#p436000

Good idea on the wiring stuff. I can bring a spool of wire, a little solder and shrink wrap with my propane iron just in case. I have it in a little zip kit that doesn't take up much room. Thanks for that link too, should be helpful.
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

I carry a bicycle multi-tool that gives me various hex keys, screwdrivers and a couple of nut drivers. A 10mm wrench and a Leatherman. About 10' of 16 ga electrical wire, a couple of scotch locks and a emergency cable kit that fits in a snuff can. It all takes up about half of the glove box on my 78. If I need anything more than that, I probably need parts and/or specialty tools to do the repair. I carry a lot of tools in my truck, still did no good when the front seal went out in the transmission. Also, if you break down, make the best of it. When the truck gave up this summer, we had to wait about 5 hours for a tow. My wife and I took or books, walked down to a nearby river, sat on the bank and enjoyed about the only free time we had all summer!
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Bugdaddy66 wrote:I carry a bicycle multi-tool that gives me various hex keys,
I like this idea. I will look into it. I have a love-hate with multi tools, but I have a love for saving space and weight if I can. Thanks for the idea.
warhead_71
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index. ... _71?page=2

Post by warhead_71 »

I guess I'm a minimalist --- I have no saddlebags so it all has to fit in my faux tank shelter. I just have the Honda tool kit, spare points and condensors, a Gerber multi-tool, some spare fuses, zip ties, a couple of feet each of 10ga and 14ga wire, some quick-splice connectors, and electrical tape. I don't usually carry tire repair tools, but a compact bicycle pump and a $5 tire-plug kit will get you down the road. Dynaplug makes a nice "mini" 12V air pump... fits in the palm of your hand. They also make a nice little plug kit. A lot of these "extras" will fit inside your shelter covers, wrapped in work rags so it doesn't rattle then zip-tied to the shelter housing.
( Other bikes: 76 CB200T | 68 CL350 | 69 CB350 | 76 CB360T | 78 CB400T | 81 CM400 | 79 CB750F | 81 CB650C | 73, 74, 76 CB750K | 83 V45 Magna | 84 V65 Magna )
'78 GL1000 :: EMGO Superbike handlebars, Corbin touring seat, National Cycle F-16 windscreen, EMGO "Roadhawk" wide-mouth 24" megaphones.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

wouldn't hurt to throw in a foot or two of fuel line, filter and something to stop or slow down a leak in a rad hose.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

plugs don't tend to work with inner tubes well. Hence the spare tubes and tire irons
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Didn't see spare fuses and a fuse holder and some electrical tape. I bought one of those tool bags that hang under the headlight for the 84 On the "All three in thirteen" trip. The only thing I needed in almost 11,000 miles was a replacement for the fuse holder that replaced the dog bone fuse. It burnedup/melted down failed catastrophically about 6 miles from Santaquin,Utah. At that time I added a small test light to my kit which is very similar to yours. It all goes in the tool bag on the forks and frees up the shelter for shoes to replace the riding boots when off the road.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"