After market front master-Report

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Andyb
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Andyb/

Re: After market front master-Report

Post by Andyb »

The master cylinder from a VFR 800 works just fine on an 83 with de-linked brakes. That is what I am using.

BTW-It has been a while since I have seen it, but I recall the old parts manual listed the piston in the 83 front master as the same size as the one in the 82. I could be wrong about that and I no longer have the manual to check.
Andy B
1983 1100 Black and Red (used to be Interstate Regal Brown)
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Andyb/
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

I'm bringing this thread back to life because here we are 2 1/2 years later and it happened again. This time, while putting new brake pads on and compressing the pistons, the sight glass failed. So I'm standing there with my thumb over the hole in the dike, looking for something to stick in while I figured out what to do. Finally got a rag in place, pulled the top off the master, and sucked out the fluid. The word "suck" came up several times during all this.

Rather than going through another master that wasn't going to last, I started measuring stuff. Turns out that a dime is 18mm in diameter. With a bit of re-work, I got the dime into the sight glass hole, and up against the O-ring. Then I prick-punched around to to peg it in place. A Micky Mouse repair for sure. Maybe it will last.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Was the sight glass that failed made out of plastic or glass? The newer masters use glass sight windows now, but the older ones used plastic that yellowed over time, then crazed, and sometimes eventually popped out or at least started leaking. They can be successfully replaced, as I have done at least a few dozen with good results. There's a vendor on eBay who sells glass ones and provides some basic instructions on how to install them. I used to have them made out of Lexan but eventually found my own source for glass ones and switched to those. Longevity is the only concern I have, since these are just a light finger-type press fit that relies on a fine bead of silicone to seal them in place. I also produced a short YouTube video on how to replace them that might be worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_yo3FnH6DM

I may have one or two glass ones in approx. the correct diameter you need. You may have to lightly sand the edge all the way around until you have a snug fit, but that's easy to do with emery paper. Let me know if you're interested.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

FWIW, the ones I bought in 2014 are both still working perfectly. The problem with the eBay CB400 master cylinders is that some are very good quality and work perfectly and others are junk and you can't tell from the prices or the pictures.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

TomK...It was a metal ring, with a plastic sight glass bonded (probably molded) into the ID. The ring was then press fit into the housing and butted against an O-ring. The unit itself looks almost exactly like a 1200 master cylinder (and both were brand spanking new).

Like bearing discussions elsewhere, it's buyer beware when buying stuff on E-bay even when the brand name is that of a reputable supplier.
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

In post #24 of this thread I talked about buying a couple of the cheapest master cylinders on eBay and then having to replace them with better (but still very inexpensive) ones because the one I had installed on Eccles developed problems before I got the other one installed on Mr.H.

I am in the shop getting Eccles ready to face the winter and I just noticed that its sight glass has started to "crackle" like the original Honda ones eventually did. The one on Mr.H still looks like it did when new so I think this must be the result of more time outside in bad weather.

I will be doing major brake work on it in a few days (replace disc, replace caliper with a freshly rebuilt one, fresh pads &c) so for now I popped the sight glass out of the no-good one that I never did install and I'll use it.

I have decided that replacing the sight glass every few years when the fluid is replaced would be a good idea so I have ordered these so that I will have them on hand when needed
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/153102701409
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

Those look exactly like the ones in the master cylinders I'm talking about. When they start to craze, just replace them I guess. I have a dime stuck in there now. If the DOT3 eats through that I'm gonna give up.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

save the dime
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
GP in Minn
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by GP in Minn »

But . . . the dime is cheaper than the sight glass. lolol
Gregg
USMC 1983-1992
Army National Guard 1997-2009 (Retired)

1984 GL1200 Standard (all the pieces are there, but not together)
1984 GL1200 Aspencade bagger
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

And no shipping charge.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The thing is that the sight glass is your brake pad wear indicator. If the level is at the top when you install new pads, as the pads get thinner the pistons will stay farther out and the level in the master cylinder reservoir will get lower until, when the pads need replacing, it will be much lower.

This is the one I was talking about that I had to replace the sight glass in. The level is below the mark and the pads had about 2.5mm of friction material left. You can see the cracks in the glass.
Sight glass before.jpg
Sight glass before.jpg (224.87 KiB) Viewed 128 times
It looks like this now. I won't re-fill it until I get the front wheel back on, install the freshly rebuilt caliper (with a new set of PAD69s) and bleed it. I will top it up to where there is just a small bubble of air showing at the top when the handlebars are turned to where it is level.
Sight glass after.jpg
Sight glass after.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 128 times