North Carolina modification rules

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

North Carolina modification rules

Post by ericheath »

I am thinking about building a bike for my older brother. He is in Wilmington, North Carolina. He is an ex-marine who called me on the phone from somewhere in Southeast Asia when I was 18 playing the old,"I don't know what I want to doooo game," and said, "I am sending you an application to get into a college. I am also including the entry fee, and if you don't send it in when I get home I will lump you up." He sent me spending money often during my first few years. I still owe him, big time.

How does North Carolina look on modifying the frames of goldwings? I have modified the neck of one that I think I could finish up to give to him. Any advice is greatly appreciated. He turns 60 this January.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: North Carolina modification rules

Post by fish »

I just bet it is "don't ask, don't tell"
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/w ... ter?page=1

Post by NCScooter »

I can't find what year the cutoff is, but my 77 required no inspection for registration/license. I took my MC driving license test on my 76, they wanted to see that all the lights and the horn worked, but I had already got a plate for it. Edit to add this informative link http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=6513.0
I need to remember to keep my expectations tiny so I don't end up so whiny.
1976 CB400f
Image 1977 GL1000-The Breeze
I'm so special, my short bus only has two wheels!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Thanks, Scooter. Something to go on.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/w ... ter?page=1

Post by NCScooter »

I don't know why I edited that; I could have just put another post out to pad my numbers as I approach 1k. :-D
I need to remember to keep my expectations tiny so I don't end up so whiny.
1976 CB400f
Image 1977 GL1000-The Breeze
I'm so special, my short bus only has two wheels!
Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Earl43P »

All you need is a clear title to transfer and a state inspection done at a motorcycle dealer.
Headlights, horn and brake light to satisfy the inspector, and good tread.
If it has turn signals, they must work. I watched him jostle the forks, jam on the front brake and ride it out front. He might've looked at the front brake fluid window.

Takes longer to enter it in the computer and pay the bill.

Be as bold as you want.
2008 GL1800 "yawn"
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Thanks,Earl.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Sounds like you are one phone call, to an inspection station for verification, from building something as radical as you dare.
Hurry and get started, we want to watch.
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll