Winter reading, viewing axial engine

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Winter reading, viewing axial engine

Post by ericheath »

interesting concept.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Re: Winter reading, viewing axial engine

Post by Brant »

helped ya out with a little edit.. ;) ...yes interesting indeed.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

It appears to be an advanced version of the squash plate design that has been around for years. These older designs always had very high friction losses and were generally viewed as steady (or single) speed units for driving generators and the like. Good to see someone doing what seems to be real progress on an alternative to the normal four stroke engine.
Their problem will be the usual one for anyone coming up with something new - getting it accepted as a viable proposition by the end user such as the car manufacturers. And the general public aren't exactly known for rushing to buy something revolutionary either!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
mcgovern61
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mcgovern61 »

Want to hear it run? Go here....

http://www.dukeengines.com/

This is an engine worth watching for. Commercial companies are watching closely!
Gerry

Current ride: 82' GL1100
1st ride: 81' Suzuki GN400
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/w ... ter?page=1

Post by NCScooter »

I'm not an engineer and I will try to maintain an open mind, but I'd like to know if the fewer moving parts, specifically those ball joint looking things, have good longevity? The rotating cylinders would be another area I'd wonder about. Why didn't the Wankel catch on?

Cool video though!
I need to remember to keep my expectations tiny so I don't end up so whiny.
1976 CB400f
Image 1977 GL1000-The Breeze
I'm so special, my short bus only has two wheels!
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

The 'ball joint looking things' were where the first of these designs fell down, due to the huge frictional losses. This company seems to be on top of that though.
Same with the seals. Sealing sliding cylinders to a static head against combustion pressures is never going to be easy, but according to their blurb, they seem to on it.
The original Wankel engine killed NSU as a company. Their Ro80 sedan was a beautiful thing, but the rotor tip sealing problems they found broke them financially. The company became part of the VW/Audi conglomerate. I believe VW made a few versions but eventually gave up and sold the patent to Mazda.
Mazda persevered with it right up to around 2012 but the engine always had fueling problems, very high exhaust temperatures and high exhaust emissions which was the nail in the coffin when the latest Euro emission regs came into force.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

those early Mazda rotary's where neat. Had one on a test bench at school (mid 70's) it would spin to 16000 no problem, sounded VERY mad...
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Neat idea, I have seen a bit before on that engine type, but it does look like they are making progress on the technical problems with the design. The wife had an early 70s Mazda RX-3, it was cool little car. Until one day in a parkade someone lost control and ended up landing right on top of it from an upper level. She was not in the car, but we she came back it was about 12" shorter.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper