The Cost of a Decent Paint Job

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

What did you pay for your last cycle paint job? (Assuming you didn't do it yourself)

Less than $100
10%
$101 to $300
13%
$301 to $400
23%
$401 to $600
23%
$601 to $800
3%
$801 to $1000
13%
Over a grand (god bless you)
16%

Total votes: 31

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

The Cost of a Decent Paint Job

Post by desertrefugee »

OK. So, I have the "skins" for my '78 GL out for smoothing/prepping/painting. It's being done by a friend and he's doing the job pretty danged cheaply. (Remember, mine is a budget build). But, he does good work in his home shop/booth. He did my wife's car after she got a boo boo. I was impressed. So, This topic can apply to pretty much any bike, but the GL presents a couple of unique challenges - i.e. many separate pieces and several base materials.

He threw out a number that shocked me ($100!!). At the time - last week, I told him he was nuts and said I couldn't pay that little. I said it'd be at least double. Went by today and he's already got them smoothed and in primer. They look pretty good. Says he's got about 3 hours into them as they sit.

But, what is everyone paying for paint? Now, I know that the sky is the limit, but for an average rider-quality job, what is typical? I also know it'll vary by geographical location, but a NICE job by a reputable shop with base/clear could easily go over a grand, right?

I'm talking a basic job, no graphics or fancy stuff.

I think I'll throw up another poll, just for giggles...
Last edited by desertrefugee on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: The Cost of a Decent Paint Job

Post by Casper »

I paid just over $400, but this is in Canada where things are generally more expensive. In addition it was a three coat pearl, base/color/pearl top so the cost of the materials/labor was higher. No graphics or pin stripes.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

$300-400 shoyld get you a really nice oaint job
A grand or better should get you an amazing paint job

Thing is, if you have the equipment you can keep the cost down doing it yourself.
If you buy good equipment just to say you did it s
All, you just blew the budget
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

desertrefugee wrote:OK. So, I have the "skins" for my '78 GL out for smoothing/prepping/painting. It's being done by a friend and he's doing the job pretty danged cheaply. (Remember, mine is a budget build). But, he does good work in his home shop/booth. He did my wife's car after she got a boo boo. I was impressed. So, This topic can apply to pretty much any bike, but the GL presents a couple of unique challenges - i.e. many separate pieces and several base materials.

He threw out a number that shocked me ($100!!). At the time - last week, I told him he was nuts and said I couldn't pay that little. I said it'd be at least double. Went by today and he's already got them smoothed and in primer. They look pretty good. Says he's got about 3 hours into them as they sit.

But, what is everyone paying for paint? Now, I know that the sky is the limit, but for an average rider-quality job, what is typical? I also know it'll vary by geographical location, but a NICE job by a reputable shop with base/clear could easily go over a grand, right?

I'm talking a basic job, no graphics or fancy stuff.

I think I'll throw up another poll, just for giggles...
Supplies would cost close to $100 alone for good paint, etc.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

duke182 wrote:$300-400 shoyld get you a really nice oaint job
A grand or better should get you an amazing paint job

Thing is, if you have the equipment you can keep the cost down doing it yourself.
If you buy good equipment just to say you did it s
All, you just blew the budget
If there are no decals involved and very little bodywork, then this may be possible. If you want the bodywork to look original with repro decals, clearcoat, etc., I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to do the job for less than $600. I used a guy in WV to do three sets of bodywork for various bikes I restored. The CB750F parts were $600 in the original gloss black with decals and clearcoated. They were gorgeous. The CB1100F bodywork cost over $1100 and was worth every penny since there was a pearl, candy, lots of decals, and clearcoating involved. A comparable paint job today would be closer to $2000. Unfortunately, it was a part time business for him and he got burned out and got out of it.

I plan to have the bodywork on my '78 GL redone in an original color with decals, and I have no doubt that it will be well over $600 for the set. Good paint shops aren't cheap and a lot of them don't like doing this work - they'd rather do insurance repairs on cars. I hope I can find someone reasonable here in MA that can do a nice job.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

I am in the over $1K group. :IDTS:

An acquaintance of mine does a wide range of automotive and motorsports work (mechanical, electrical, paint), and runs the school of automotive service at a local university. I actually bought my Gold Wing from him, and asked him if he would be interested in doing the paint.

In my case, I went with AMG/Mercedes gun-metal gray paint, with custom pinstripes on the shelter. I also had the front and rear fenders sand blasted, and powdercoated (as a primer coat) before they were sprayed body color, and the whole shebang then got 6 coats of clear. The paint is flawless - the guy is a perfectionist who put far more time into the job than the guys that have done my previous bikes. It shows, but the bill hurt.

My mistakes: Not getting a quote before handing off the parts. Choosing a very expensive paint system - material costs were about $400 for all the required paints, pearl additive, etc.

Bottom line is the paint turned out great, and I love the result. I think I would have been just as satisfied spending a lot less if I had made better choices. I would estimate that my bike would likely sell for $3500 - but no way I can justify spending $1200 on paint.
delling3

1979 Yamaha XS750SF

Previous:
1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM: Sold
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .
skydog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by skydog »

I had my 84 done this summer.800 bucks for a candy red to gold mettalic and clear coated.Painted pinstriping with two Vetter bag lids as well.He had to take some rust outta the back fender as well.This is a friend of mine,regualar price would have been over a grand.The result is spectacular!The red and gold "flip"in the light.
75 naked "Blue Streak" gone
78 fairing bags "Brownie" 4 sale
80 standard project 4 sale
84 Standard, Vetter bags "Horse with no name"
85 Interstate gone
84 aspy
86 aspy
"When the day comes to settle down,who's to blame if you're not around?You took the long way home"
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

I rattle canned mine and it was over $100 by the time I got done. About a case of cans, build a cheapy booth, sandpaper, patience, more sandpaper, more patience, run-out-of-patience, more sandpaper...you get the idea.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

my 1100 was and is rattle can, gloss black. No sandpaper, no prep, unless it has just rained....... But it is in the club of "you can't tell when your riding" so it's fine.

Saves boat loads of time waxing too anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

I do my own. I can tell you just materials (approx)....

1 gal. clear with activator (house brand)................$100.00 (no I don't use a whole gallon,
but it's much cheaper than buying quarts & I use it pretty regular)
1 pint base coat (color)...........................................$ 40.00 (yellows are much more)
x2 (I like two tones)................................................$ 40.00
rattle can primer/paper/polish & glazes.................$ 70.00
So that is with out the labor it takes for; prep, layout, application, wet sand & polishing.

Hmm. $600.00 sounds pretty good.

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

I spoke with a painter a few months ago at a local paint supply store when doing just my fake
tank lid. $100 bucks supplies and three hours. And he said he would need $1500 for a
top notch pant job on my 75 including side covers.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

:IDTS: :IDTS:

I dunno. I'm gonna have to throw a BS flag on the play here. We're not talking about show bikes. Whole nuther kettle of fish. Ain't no way on God's green earth there'd be a need to splash that kind of cash on a daily rider bike job. No doubt you'd get a nice job (you'd better). But, I suspect the folks responding to this poll paying $600'ish are getting pretty nice work.

The jury is still out on my job (and its price), but I expect to pay in the neighborhood of $200. A friend, but he says he'll make a little coin. Like I said, the end result will soon be known...

(Like I'd admit here if it's a dud!)

:stirthepot:
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

I believe this is a case of 'you get what you pay for'. I got a quote for dummy tank, side panels, and front mudguard and the top price was £700, ($1100)! I was a bit fazed but know that a lot of the costs come in the preparation, but as has been said, my bike will never be a show bike so will look around for an alternative. Got a mate who knows someone who can do an acceptable job including pin stripes!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

desertrefugee wrote::IDTS: :IDTS:

I dunno. I'm gonna have to throw a BS flag on the play here. We're not talking about show bikes. Whole nuther kettle of fish. Ain't no way on God's green earth there'd be a need to splash that kind of cash on a daily rider bike job. No doubt you'd get a nice job (you'd better). But, I suspect the folks responding to this poll paying $600'ish are getting pretty nice work.

The jury is still out on my job (and its price), but I expect to pay in the neighborhood of $200. A friend, but he says he'll make a little coin. Like I said, the end result will soon be known...

(Like I'd admit here if it's a dud!)

:stirthepot:
I guess they figure they have you over a barrel cause they can do it and you can't.
Attachments
coupon-1b.jpg
coupon-1b.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 396 times
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Small hijack, worked at a Earl's Shop in the 70's.....Any Car any color 79.95 was on our shirts then :shock: :shock: We did two tone for 10.00 more :IDTS: :IDTS:

And sometimes we even sanded before we painted.....

All the taping was done by kids even younger than me ( I was 18)
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...