Harbor Freight Lift 1000 lb Lift - Fatal Flaw - Read This

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

phillip0123
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Harbor Freight Lift 1000 lb Lift - Fatal Flaw - Read Thi

Post by phillip0123 »

Of the two harbor freight # 68892 or 69904 which is the best?
Phil
79 GL1000
93 GSX1100
09 nomad 1700
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

#69904, which is the older model that has the right-angled top rail (not bottom) and a heavier support bar. But, if you can't find one, buy one on sale and have the modifications done as I had on mine.

Repainted, it looks great.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

So, why is it not yellow?
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Roady wrote:So, why is it not yellow?
Hmmmmm..... :orange
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Irwipi
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Irwipi »

[quote="Placerville"]#69904, which is the older model that has the right-angled top rail (not bottom) and a heavier support bar. But, if you can't find one, buy one on sale and have the modifications done as I had on mine.

Hello everyone, newbie here hoping to share and gain some info! I too have been eyeballing the HF lift and came across info on other sites that may shed light (as well as raise more questions) on the issues/models of the HF lift.

Placerville: I purchased the 69904 model and was told it's the newest design and the lower C channel was changed to angle iron to cut the production cost....the only trade off I see is an improved pump on the 69904. Based on my research the older model 68892 were all built with C channel bottom rails and the new 69904 model is set to replace it. This information could very well be wrong as it's what I've gathered through web research and we all know how reliable that is...lol

The pump design and size of the 69904 seems WAY better and bulkier than the older 68892 but the bottom rails on mine are definitely the weaker angle iron design.....oddly, the parts manual that came with the lift as well as the online manual clearly shows the 68892 lift on the cover but the parts break down inside shows they were built with angle iron bottom rails. In checking all of my local stores, every 69904 I found had angle iron bottom rails...............can anyone confirm they have or have seen a 69904 with a C channel lower frame?

It's easy to tell the two models apart:
68892: Both the lift pump pedal and lowering pedal are run through holes in the side of the bottom frame rail.
69904: The lowering pedal is run through a small hole in the bottom frame rail while the lift pump pedal shaft is bolted to the underside of the frame rail, almost in direct contact with the floor.

Another difference I noticed, which may only be specific to my lift and the few I've seen in stores: The diamond plate on the top of my 69904 lift is one piece of metal where as all of the 68892 lift tops I've seen are two pieces welded together at the top of the tire drop-through panel. No strength difference between the two of course, but, the one piece top on my 69904 looks much better than the 68892 which looks like it's been scabbed together with scraps.

Looking forward to everyone's feedback, I'm still on the lookout for a 69904 with the C channel frame so I can exchange mine before the 90 day trial runs out.
Scooter
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Scooter »

To me it looks like the "safety" bar is tubular with plastic caps, I didn't read the whole post, maybe that was mentioned already.
1976 GL1000 LTD for sale
1982 CX500C customized
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow project
1978 GL1000 Blue rat project
1978 GL1000 Black project/parts
1978 GL1000 parts, not many left
1980 CX500 parts
1982 GL500 sold
1982 GL500 Interstate
2014 CB1100A
2017 CMX500 wife's new ride
scootsx2
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by scootsx2 »

The safety bar on mine is solid.
1975 GL1000 Sidecar Outfit
1982 CX500-based Trident ex-Police Trike
2001 GL1800 MotorTrike
2006 Vespa LX150
1956 Francis-Barnett Falcon 74
195x Solex 1700
196x Solex 2200

St. Louis, MO

The dude abides.

Brothers of the Third Wheel - Gateway Chapter http://www.btw-trikers.org
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club http://www.vjmc.org
Francis-Barnett Owners Club http://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/
Antique Motorcycle Club of America http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/
Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net
British Motorcycle Charitable Trust http://www.bmct.org/
VeloSolex Club UK http://www.velosolexclubuk.com/
Irwipi
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Irwipi »

The safety bar that came with my 69904 lift is a solid 7/8" diameter rod....which I've replaced with a piece of hardened 1" diameter bar from an old weight set. The safety bars on the 68892 models I've seen in several of the local stores came with solid bars that were 3/4" diameter.

I've found a few mentions on other forums of owners having pump failures on the 68892 models and repair/replacement parts were either on a 4-8 week backorder or were no longer available (it's assumable that's based on when the posts were made or possibly bad communication through HF)....granted there were only a few complaints of this issue, most everyone else with the 68892 raves of it's reliability. I only mention the pump as the size of the pump and the way it's mounted on the 69904 looks much beefier....and perhaps with it being the newer design, parts will be more readily available.

As of now, my mindset on addressing the weak lower frame of the 69904 is to remove the bottom rails completely and replace them with C channel...basically rebuilding it the way it SHOULD have been to begin with. (if I'm unable to find one that came that way for exchange)
jzink0883
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Re: Harbor Freight Lift 1000 lb Lift - Fatal Flaw - Read This

Post by jzink0883 »

I ride a Sportster ('15 XL1200CP). I joined NGW because I followed a link in a discussion about Harbor Freight lift tables at xlforum.net to a post at m109riders.com that linked to this thread at ngwclub.com.

After a lot of research last year, I bought a HF lift table. I thought I might be able to add some info to the discussion about the differences between the 68892 and 69904 lift tables from HF.

HF lists two item numbers for motorcycle lift tables on their website: 68892 and 69904.

Determinations:
68892:
- max lift:29.5" min height: 7" weight:317# shipping weight:339#
- the top of the bottom rails is a flat "L"
- owner's manual: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /68892.pdf
- Pump and its pivot brace are a one piece assembly (see #01a below)
- Shafts for the pump and release levers are closer to the chock end of the lift
- The parts diagram shows the loading ramp posts having pins and washers (see #04 & #23 below)

69904:
- max lift:33.0" min height: 8.125" weight:270# shipping weight:315#
- the top of the bottom rails is an "edge"
- owner's manual: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /69904.pdf
- The pump pivots on ears on a fixed square brace (see #25 & #14 below)
- Shafts for the pump and release levers are closer to the ramp end of the lift
- The parts diagram does not show pins and washers for the loading ramp posts
The picture on the cover of the manual shows the the wrong lift
--- The picture is of a 68892 lift
- The HF website pictures shows the wrong lift.
--- The picture is of a 68892 lift
--- The website picture is reversed
----- The picture incorrectly shows the levers on the right side of the lift
----- The levers are actually on the left side of the lift

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Thanks for weighing in. I've had my 68892 for about five years with no issues whatsoever. There's always a bike on it. I have been in at least three commercial shops (parts/restoration/service type shops) that each use one or more of these lifts. Every one of them has had nothing but good things to say. The only negative one of them provided was that there are only two positions that "lock in". He said it'd be nice to be able to fine tune the height sometimes. If they're good enough for commercial use, I'm not worried about mine.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Anyone remember what these lifts are copies of? Pretty fair copies too.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am not. For sure, the Chinese copied pretty much everything they market here. But, can we assume that the "copied" example retails at double what the HF version goes for... on sale? (I think I paid $279 on sale).
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

(Placerville doesn't haunt this joint these days - and we're all a bit poorer for that).
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

sadly he had that bout of cancer in his throat that laid him up for a year (plus) and then he sold his yellow wing. I agree, he was a great contributor
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

Just plain and simple bad engineering. Way too much leverage on the bar. Too close to the hinge point. Definitely needs an upgrade.