Harbor Freight Lift 1000 lb Lift - Fatal Flaw - Read This

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Harbor Freight Lift 1000 lb Lift - Fatal Flaw - Read Thi

Post by robin1731 »

DocRoot wrote:Does this kind of lift make any sense? Northern tool sells this a $99, rated 1500 lb
motorcycle lift.jpg

I have something similar to that (just a different brand). It is ok for changing tires and cleaning. But I use my table lift 99% of the time.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

DocRoot, you may want to start a new thread on this, but I will give my take on what you posted...the little bit that I have used my little lift, it worked out great, but does lend to being certain you have tied down very well. They are good for getting wheels off, and things like that.

I really would have liked a table lift, but with my current situation, I just don't have the room for one.

I ended up getting on that looked like this one,
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 358 times
which I felt was a touch sturdier than the one you pictured. I happened to get mine from Northern tool when it was on sale, so I was able to compare them side by side.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i use a small one for everything. i have no space for a large table type. hard to store when not in use. the small one also gets high enough that i can sit on a stool while working on the bike, instead of standing
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

i have no space for a large table type. hard to store when not in use.
LOL, if I keep getting "barn finds" I won't have room to turn around

'75 mostly there
'75 to ride: working on carbs today
'76 in pieces, don't know about that one
'77 (my son's ride to CA)
'77 for sale

plus a '79 CX500 and a 400 yammer '82 that doesn't get to hang out with the big boys. I did make more space by hanging some extra engines from the rafters (the engine of Damoclese), and welding and painting goes to the hay loft.
barn.jpg
barn.jpg (122.17 KiB) Viewed 348 times
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg (97.6 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Appreciate good people: they are hard to come by.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Those smaller lifts can fit in my garage, not really the big ones until the kids all move out. The issue with the small ones is stability so you will need some floor ties downs. But seems like a good solution for tight garage space.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

DocRoot wrote:Does this kind of lift make any sense? Northern tool sells this a $99, rated 1500 lb
Many of us use these type of lifts. Available at Northern as you've said, less expensive at Harbor Freight but it's the same jack. They have an 18" lift and are reasonably stable lifting GWs without tying it down and works well for most of us old guys.
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
Bufobufo
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Bufobufo »

plus a '79 CX500 and a 400 yammer '82 that doesn't get to hang out with the big boys. I did make more space by hanging some extra engines from the rafters (the engine of Damoclese), and welding and painting goes to the hay loft.
"The engine of Damoclese" Quite brilliant, who said the classics were useless?
Err, well me in a former life actually, but I changed my mind.

On a lower level, literally, my 77 400/4 now has a big dent in its previously immaculate chrome front mudguard from something falling on it in our crowded garage. Its tank paintwork also suffered from the kids BMX bikes.
JohnR - 76 GL 1000 Yellow Bird - in Cold Old England.
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

who said the classics were useless?
LOL
Actually, I am more likely to terminate with painting and welding in close proximity (my son did a great job of removing the hay residue)... kind of the Hendryx solution without the lost genius. But if Sprout comes back from his XC odyssey to CA (24 year olds have a propensity for finding young lovelies that make them stay) we will do something about this agrarian tribute to the classics
Appreciate good people: they are hard to come by.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I like the small ones for ease of moving around. For stability, I strap to the roof. They are teeter-y with a Wing on them.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

TSC had them on sale here for $70 last spring so I finally broke down & bought one. Its OK but I am not overly impressed with it at least for working on my machines.

- The safety mechanism consists of arms with pointed ends that engage with pressed ridges (really like louvers) in the frame and I had to (adjust) the length of the arms to get it to lock at a height that is suitable for holding my 'Wing's front wheel off the ground at a reasonable height. It was nice to be able to raise & lower it easily when I was experimenting with fork springs & preload spacers but it I was just changing a tire it would have been just as easy to use the old trolley jack and jackstand as I have done in the past (or centrestand & jackstand before I added the sidecar).
- I used it for removing & reinstalling the 650's engine. The lift has casters at one end and wheels at the other so jockeying the engine out of the frame was tricky. The lifting pads are not parallel to the floor so I had to tip the engine up to vertical while putting the bolts in after jockeying it back into place. It was nice to be able to adjust the height so easily but considering the jockying & tipping the job would have been easy if I had used the furniture dolly as I have done in the past.

And now I have to find a place to store it when I am not using it.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

the down side for me would be the casters on one end. one my jack, all four corners swivel. makes moving the bike while on the lift a breeze.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

CYBORG wrote:the down side for me would be the casters on one end. one my jack, all four corners swivel. makes moving the bike while on the lift a breeze.
That is one thing I wish mine had...as long as you have room you can move mine, but if you are in tight quarters, it does make it difficult, being I have only 2 wheels that swivel.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I am contemplating welding a piece of angle across the front so I can mount casters there instead of the wheels. But it won't happen this year and I would have to figure out how to make the lifting pads level first.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
abert51
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by abert51 »

Yeah, Placer.. and a carpet? under the GL, love the sink and cabs too. High marks from a guy who likes things neat,...but it's cleaner than my living room. Hmm, maybe I can get my GL in there on Christmas eve and blame the fat guy in the red suit.
78 Nekid
73 Shovel
73 Tiger
71 Commando
67 305
70 450 Scram
2002 Spirit 750
79 CB 750 Anniversary
mbs.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

CYBORG wrote:the down side for me would be the casters on one end. one my jack, all four corners swivel. makes moving the bike while on the lift a breeze.
mine only has swivel casters on one end.... but now that I think about it, there is no reason I cannot switch out the fixed ones with swivels
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS