Installing a Carb Cap Kit

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Installing a Carb Cap Kit

Post by cfairweather »

I decided to make the sealing rings on my Lulzbot Mini 2 3D printer using a soft TPU filament. I pressed a button into a cap using one of these seals without any sealant to see if it would be air tight, and it worked great. I poured some alcohol into the shaft hole and no alcohol leaked out the other side. This is a good way to test your old caps. I can print 15 rings in about 20 minutes. I plan on printing about 500 of these so I don't have to do it again for a few days :).
DSCN4522.JPG
DSCN4522.JPG (205.13 KiB) Viewed 283 times
digger
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by digger »

And it just keeps getting better, you are amazing. Looking forward to the “rest of the story” seems like you are always figuring out ways to improve things.
1975 GL1000
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I am very happy to report I am almost done with this project except for making a bunch of buttons. This morning, I installed four of the buttons and seals for my current GL1000 project bike and I am very happy with the results. The depth, fit and everything is correct as I can get it. I am confident that these will work as well as the original buttons and the look is very close to the original. See the below picture. I have done a few sets for some of you using my 3D printed PETG caps. I am willing to redo these using my new acetal plastic injected buttons. Or, I will send you a kit and you can install them yourself.
All you have to do is pay the shipping. In a few days, I will list these button kits on EBay.
DSCN4524.JPG
DSCN4524.JPG (260.93 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I am totally in awe of this. Every time I look at your work I am in awe. There are a number of things that you have done, grab rails, paintwork and now these, all work to make a ruffian like me totally jealous.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Great job CF ! I second Liam’s sentiments, again good job !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Pretty special alright !

Gord action1 anim-cheers1 action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

:) Thanks. I started making the buttons this morning but it is a slow process, one at a time. I have done over 100 so far.
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I have finished the kits and they are available on eBay. I sent them to a five individuals that I knew would try them out, so look for some feedback. I think people will like them, but I want everyone to give their honest opinion. The picture below is a kit. The black thing is a press tool. You place this over the button when you press it in. I use an arbor press, but a drill press might work ok too if you put something flat in the chuck, like an old flat valve or a bolt. The nylon washers are cheap insurance. You optionally place these around your slide rods to prevent any metal-to-metal contact. I had to order these washers from China, but I made everything else.
20230305_181841.jpg
20230305_181841.jpg (138.32 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

One final point which I forgot to mention to Cedric. Sorry!!
It is possible to distort the cap. I found this out the hard way way back when I started using Pete's buttons. After fitting a couple of buttons, the the pistons would no longer slide ino the caps. It doesn't take much distortion for this to happen.
So, what did I do wrong?
Firstly, the cap hole was not trimmed back enough meaning that the button needed more pressure than usual. I think Cedric's final edition of the cap is now the same outer diameter as Pete's; I make the cap hole EXACTLY 25.5mm.
Secondly, I had no internal support, so there was nothing to take up the additional pressure. I found that that an old front brake cylinder reservoir is perfect in height and diameter for this.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Old Fogey wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:17 am One final point which I forgot to mention to Cedric. Sorry!!
It is possible to distort the cap. I found this out the hard way way back when I started using Pete's buttons. After fitting a couple of buttons, the the pistons would no longer slide ino the caps. It doesn't take much distortion for this to happen.
So, what did I do wrong?
Firstly, the cap hole was not trimmed back enough meaning that the button needed more pressure than usual. I think Cedric's final edition of the cap is now the same outer diameter as Pete's; I make the cap hole EXACTLY 25.5mm.
Secondly, I had no internal support, so there was nothing to take up the additional pressure. I found that that an old front brake cylinder reservoir is perfect in height and diameter for this.
;) action1
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

First set of customer's carbs rebuilt with the new caps.
DSCF1343.JPG
DSCF1343.JPG (210.66 KiB) Viewed 125 times
DSCF1344.JPG
DSCF1344.JPG (213.87 KiB) Viewed 125 times
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

They look good to me.
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

Did you use the nylon washers?
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

cfairweather wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:20 pm Did you use the nylon washers?
Yes, I did. They may help. It's not until you really look at the various parts of these carbs that you realise how poor the design is mechanically and the first year's are the worst.
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

So what do you think of these buttons? Did they go in ok? Did you use 25.5mm or a slightly larger hole. Did you measure the distance of the hole to the bottom of the button? 44.7mm is ideal if you use the washers. The spec is probably 44.5 +- .5mm but I can't say for sure what Honda had in mind. Yes, not a great design.