What coils & wires do you recommend

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

donniebnd
Brass Member
Brass Member

What coils & wires do you recommend

Post by donniebnd »

I have a 78 GL1000, and been having some issues rebuilding this bike. I had no clue about its history, everything I've learned I've found on my own. Yesterday I discovered it has the Dyna s ignition set up, I discovered this while trying to set the timing. Today I got the timing spot on and when I was trying to start it she was backfiring, popping & and just ran terrible. A little further into it I discovered the plug wires weren't making contact in the plug cap. After retighten the wire into the plug cap it ran a lot better. Now this bike still has the original coils & wires, I'd like to improve this to something better, as the stock plug wires and hard and brittle. If cost isnt a factor what would you purchase for your bike and why?
Thank you
Donnie
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What coils & wires do you recommend

Post by redglbx »

Dyna 3ohm coils and solid core wires, run resistor plugs.

Have you gone through the carbs yet ?
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Hello Donnie

Many of our members have utilized Dyna 3 ohm ignition coils.
The original Dynatek ignition system components- Dyna S and Dyna ignition coils-have become outrageously expensive though. .
Cedric, aka cfairweather, brought the much less expensive generic equivalent of the Dyna 3 ohm ignition coils ( DC1-1) to our collective attention with this document.
These instructions are specific to the primary wiring details of the 1975-1977 production GL1000 units.
1978-1979 production units primary wiring details are not as straight forward with ease of eliminating the stock ballast resistor.
The details for the 1978-1979 DC1-1 coils' installation are located close-by in the same document. We can assist as needed.

FIRST Thing, search for the best deal amongst the many listings for a pair of (or 2 single unit s) DC1-1 ignition coils on eBay.

This Topic will get you started with a well reviewed equivalent ignition coil installation procedure
viewtopic.php?t=77232
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
donniebnd
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by donniebnd »

redglbx wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:23 pm Dyna 3ohm coils and solid core wires, run resistor plugs.

Yes, I was luck to purchase a set that Pistol Pete's rebuilt but wasn't ever installed. What are resistor plugs?
donniebnd
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by donniebnd »

redglbx wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:23 pm Dyna 3ohm coils and solid core wires, run resistor plugs.

I bought the dyna 3 ohm green coils that come with plug wires, what spark okug number do you suggest? Is is a resistor plug or not what's the difference as I'm trying to learn all I can.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Are you replacing the original NGK spark plug caps, too? XD05F (NGK #8072)
If yes, the caps have an internal 5000 ohm resistor .
NGK D8EA (their #2120) is the original non-resistor sparkplug installed on the Factory production line. <GL1000 Shop Manual, Tuneup chapter

There are several ways to go with selections of spark plug wire ends And spark plugs. too.

Regarding my '75 gl1000 ignition details, I use NAPA copper core spark plug wires with straight rubber boots and NGK Iridium DR8EIX (#6681) resistor spark plugs.
Its ignition system was upgraded to a Dyna S kit and Dynatek 3 ohm coils 10 years ago as well tumb2
Last edited by gltriker on Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996

previous rides:
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

I've also used 5 ohm coils. They work well with the Dyna S and will work better with points if you ever want or need to revert to stock.
donniebnd
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by donniebnd »

gltriker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:53 am Are you replacing the original NGK spark plug caps, too? XD05F (NGK #8072)
NGK D8EA (their #2120) is the original non-resistor sparkplug installed on the Factory production line.

There are several ways to go with selections of spark plug wire ends And spark plugs. too.

Regarding my '75 gl1000 ignition details, I use NAPA copper core spark plug wires with straight rubber boots and NGK Iridium DR8EIX (#6681) resistor spark plugs.
Its ignition system was upgraded to a Dyna S kit and Dynatek 3 ohm coils 10 years ago as well tumb2
What is the reason to run either a resistor spark plug or the ngk resistor style caps? Every thing I've read says to run a resistor plug or cap's if you have electronics like a ecu or other, I've also read that you get a better spark without the resistor, I don't have a clue is why I'm asking, please advise.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

donniebnd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:57 pm
gltriker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:53 am Are you replacing the original NGK spark plug caps, too? XD05F (NGK #8072)
NGK D8EA (their #2120) is the original non-resistor sparkplug installed on the Factory production line. <GL1000 Shop Manual

What is the reason to run either a resistor spark plug or the ngk resistor style caps? Every thing I've read says to run a resistor plug or cap's if you have electronics like a ecu or other, I've also read that you get a better spark without the resistor, I don't have a clue is why I'm asking, please advise.
I was hoping you wouldn't ask me to answer that question, Donnie :lol:

A Dyna S, and Dyna ignition coils, and copper filament spark plug wires, in combination, just sneeze at NGK resistor spark plug caps and resistor spark plugs. hot hot hot :shock:
I read somewhere in NGK publications they state their resistor spark plug caps and resistor spark plugs can be used in combination together. Why would that even be considered?

FOUND IT!
https://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/resistor-covers-and-caps

Swapping the OEM non-resistor D8EA spark plug with their NGK GL1000 application chart approved DR8EIX spark plug is a reason why! ;) Its an expensive spark plug, but works great in trike's engine.
Consulting the NGK website for their spark plug features is very informative. https://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/products

but Wait... There's More! An additional NGK resistor sparkplug number AND an XD05FP sparkplug cap, too :IDTS: NGK-8641
https://partfinder.ngksparkplugs.ca/res ... Motorcycle

Last thought, Donnie- action1
A very common, and easily accomplished strategy to eliminate the resistive component in the NGK XDO5F spark plug cap is to completely remove the 5000 ohm ceramic resistor and replace it with a similar dimensions piece of brass round stock.
( 4mm x 25mm? )

Done tumb2
Last edited by gltriker on Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
donniebnd
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by donniebnd »

gltriker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:12 pm
donniebnd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:57 pm
NGK D8EA (their #2120) is the original non-resistor sparkplug installed on the Factory production line.

I was hoping you wouldn't ask me to answer that question, Donnie :lol:

A Dyna S, and Dyna ignition coils, and copper filament spark plug wires, in combination, just sneeze at NGK resistor spark plug caps and resistor spark plugs. hot hot hot :shock:
I read somewhere in NGK publications they state their resistor spark plug caps and resistor spark plugs can be used in combination together. Why would that even be considered?

FOUND IT!
https://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/resistor-covers-and-caps

Swapping the OEM non-resistor D8EA spark plug with their NGK GL1000 application chart approved DR8EIX spark plug is a reason why! ;) Its an expensive spark plug, but works great in trike's engine.
Consulting the NGK website for their spark plug features is very informative. https://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/products

but Wait... There's More! An additional NGK resistor sparkplug number AND an XD05FP sparkplug cap, too :IDTS: NGK-8641
https://partfinder.ngksparkplugs.ca/res ... Motorcycle

Last thought, Donnie- action1
A very common, and easily accomplished strategy to eliminate the resistive component in the NGK XDO5F spark plug cap is to completely remove the 5000 ohm ceramic resistor and replace it with a similar dimensions piece of brass round stock.
( 5mm x 25mm? )

I believe I'm going to try your route, Dyna s ignition with the dyna green coils, copper core wires using the caps that came with the coil pack kit, firing the NGK 6681 resistor plugs. You stated 10 plus years and still going is hard to beat. With that being said to which I wont do but need to know, what would happen if I ran this same setup but used the non resistor factory plug's? I have read a lot of info that you sent and what all I've found but nothing on what would happen if I didn't run any type of resistor
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

snip-what would happen if I didn't run any type of resistor.

As far as I know, nothing that would adversely affect any part of an otherwise stock ignition system configuration GL1000, itself.

Might RFI "noise" adversely affect (possibly injure?) the safe operation of a Dyna S ignition assembly? :dunno:

Contact Dynatek Technical Support Staff at 800-928-3962 EXT 1 or e-mail to info@dynaonline.com.

completely Done now ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
donniebnd
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by donniebnd »

gltriker wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:33 am snip-what would happen if I didn't run any type of resistor.

As far as I know, nothing that would adversely affect any part of an otherwise stock ignition system configuration GL1000, itself.

Might RFI "noise" adversely affect (possibly injure?) the safe operation of a Dyna S ignition assembly? :dunno:

Contact Dynatek Technical Support Staff at 800-928-3962 EXT 1 or e-mail to info@dynaonline.com.

completely Done now ;)
I always need to know the why's and what if's and just an answer, this way I can understand.
Thank you for all this info, you have been most helpful
Donnie
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

As I understand it the resistor also affects the duration of the spark event.

FWIW, mine has a Dyna S ignition with GL1500 coils, 7mm solid copper wires (I bought a length at a small engine parts store) and XD05F-R caps (the same as stock except red). Details at link below
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60509&p=667932
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

I’ve called NGK tech a couple of times and years ago talked to their “techs” at a show and have gotten several different answers. The plug cap 5kohm resistance is meant to act as a pseudo choke to properly fill the coils, over the years we’ve preached to replace any plug cap that is over the 5k ohm resistance as they tend to cause all kinds of little “run” problems (to much resistance?) the caps are supposed to be less than 5k , so common sense would dictate that adding resistor plugs which properly spec’d for your wing will provide another 5k for a total of around 10k resistance, should cause intermittent run issues.

So I’ve recently taken to removing the resister from the caps and using a piece of brass/copper to replace it and then just using resistor plugs which get replaced/refreshed periodically. Just keep in mind that the resistor caps were used w/o resistor plugs and used solid core plug wires. It’s not really about EMI but more about fully charging the coils. Anyway that’s my take.

On the generic green China 3ohm eBay coils, I have used them and they do seem function fine, and at $50 a pair it’s hard to argue with that.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The resistor can be in either the cap or the plug but NOT in the wires. So called resistor spark plug "wires" are basically carbon impregnate4d string and they don't last on motorcycles.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....