Sitting Carbs Not Accepting Fuel

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

leonardhcross
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Sitting Carbs Not Accepting Fuel

Post by leonardhcross »

Hello Naked friends. As I begin to recover this old bike, (75 GL1000), I move slowly. In preparation for a start attempt, today I drained the crankcase and was surprised to find the tank filled with 3.25 qts. of almost clear oil. I was expecting dirty oil and sludge. Same thing when I removed the filter...no evidence of any sediments. I poured the oil back in and will wait until I have her running and warm to do an oil and filter change.

Next, I removed the drain screw on carb number three and was surprised that no fuel came out. I then loosened the other three and found no dripping fuel on any. I then attempted to pour 180 mls. of a 50/50 mix gas/Seafoam through a small funnel into the carbs. As soon as the line filled, the fuel stopped flowing. I gently tapped on all four carbs and then, using a syringe, gently pressed in the total 180 mls. After that, I tried loosening all four carb drains to check for the fuel mixture. Again, there was no dripping at the drains. My plan is to let the mix sit there over night then try turning the engine over with the kill switch off to see if that will get the mixture flowing. I would appreciate any thoughts on why I am seeing no fuel at the drains.

Here is a picture of the funnel that I made from a used filter. It woks well.
Funnel from Filter.jpeg
Funnel from Filter.jpeg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 306 times
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Sitting Carbs Not Accepting Fuel

Post by 5speed »

if the bike has been sitting for a while the fuel likely evaporated out of the bowls and the needles are stuck.
I'd pull the carb rack, remove the bowls and take a look..
also if you haven't changed the timing belts I'd suggest doing that before you attempt to start it..you can check the water pump for lateral play in the impeller while you are doing the belts. If the impeller is brown bakelite it's original..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

I would expect float needles to stick open. Where are you putting the fuel in? Into the fuel pump, or into the outlet hose removed from the pump? For a long-setting bike (more than a couple years), I wouldn't bother trying to start or get fuel through. Just go ahead and pull the carbs and clean them properly. Also, long-setting oil may have accumulated acids. I would change it for at least some lower price house-brand diesel oil or Rotella T4.

I have a 75 in the shed that will be the next project after the Triumph Trident T150V presently in progress.

But, as you will be repeatedly cautioned - CHANGE THE BELTS NOW! Other than being a necessary preventive step, it will acquaint you further with the bike and documents for it (Please BURN any Haynes/Chilton books and use only Honda Factory Service Manual).
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Oil that's still for a long time will clarify--all the dirt has settled out as sludge. Some will mix up into the fresh oil when it runs, but it's never going to be very clean inside the engine again.