Engine dying

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Engine dying

Post by maury »

If there's something about this on the forum............ well............. I couldn't find it.
So.................
Last week for the first time, I was cruising along and suddenly the engine just dies. Coast to the side of the road, all the indicator lights work including the headlight but when I try to start it - starter won't turn (no clicking.... no nothing). Finally, for no particular reason it started and got me home. Thinking about ignition going through the key switch, I pulled it apart (not particularly dirty) and buffed up all the contacts.
Today............ went about 3 miles, same scenario. Coasted over, turned the key and kill switches on/off a number of times with no success. Was trying to start with the clutch lever pulled in and finally decided to put into neutral. I had a difficult time finding neutral until I discovered the bike was rolling in neutral but the neutral light was not lit. After waiting and playing around with neutral, suddenly the starter got power and fired up. Headed home, after a mile or so............ same scenario. Starter had no power with the clutch pulled in while in gear but when found neutral the green indicator lit up right away and the starter had power.
Rode it home about 5 miles uneventfully.
Yeah it's electrical...... but where?
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: Engine dying

Post by Fred Camper »

Any codes set? Ah not on an early wing. Almost sounds like all electrical is dropping out and if so the battery connections perhaps. The starter button is also finicy but with power to the neutral light also intermittent the starter button is not likely. A loose ground is also possible.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I am fairly confident that the problem is located in the Neutral safety switch circuit.
Probably the clutch switch or the wiring heading to it.
First thing that I would check is the condition of the switch that is in the clutch lever perch.
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

I checked meaning that I pulled and wiggled on the clutch switch and with the engine off, the neutral light did not change. Opened the left side and checked the electrics........ all appears fine.
Looked over the starter solenoid/battery terminals............ all's fine there as well.
I wouldn't say the neutral light is intermittent. It's just something I noticed the last time it quit running.
Weird how I'm just cruising and then.......... whoosh......... coasting to a stop.
I still need to trace out the neutral switch wires..................
Keep the ideas coming!!
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

The starter only working when in neutral and not working at all while in gear with the clutch pulled in
leads me to believe that the issue is not with the starter, battery cables, ect...
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Take a look at the main fuse, just a guess but if you still have the oe lead dog-bone fuse they have a reputation for cracking and doing strange things like this.

Myself, when mine failed I replaced it with a modern blade type & holder, I added eyelets to the fuse holder wires and just attached them to the dog bone screws of the oe fuse block.

You might also look at the starter solenoid to see if you have power on the output side when it acts up.

Also as suggested above the starter button has most everything running through it and the contacts are marginal for the load they carry, but I will add that if the starter button has failed or is failing generally the headlight doesn’t come on, I also had the ignition switch fail which caused all kinds of weird things but was easy to trouble shoot because if you have the 12v coming to it you should see it come out once you turn it on.
Just a couple of thoughts.

Keep us posted on what you find.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

I put a blade fuse replacement on when I rebuilt it.
I also replaced the right handlebar control unit so it's pretty new.
The cover over that solenoid is really hard to get off!
All good ideas though............. thanks!
I'm going out for a ride tomorrow morning...... hoping my son won't have to come with the trailer to get me!
With the info you and the others have given "if" it happens again, I'm prepared to diagnose much better.
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Maury, one other thought on this I had overnight was that if this happens again pull the gas cap open to see if it is creating a vacuum in the tank due to the cap not venting, this has a lot of similarities to that.

There was another recent thread on this that had some excellent ideas. Actually scratch that idea, it was you :lol: !

By chance do you still run the ballast resistor with your ignition ?
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

Yes,
I run the ballast resistor with original ignition system.

I've read where some have replaced the coils to eliminate the ballast resistor. Is this a GREAT idea or merely a GOOD idea?
What specific coils are used?

Thanks (as always)........
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

Went on 100 mile ride ...........
Was interesting .........
2 or three times engine suddenly quit. While coasting, pulled in the clutch, starter engaged and with a loud backfire, fired right up, kept going without having to stop.
Twice, same as before except the engine would not stay running forcing me to pull over. Put in neutral (light on), pressed starter button and it fired right up. BUT would not respond to throttle. It seemed as if it wasn't getting fuel so opened the fuel cap (no hiss) took the fuel line off the fuel pump output, hit the starter and gas was pumping hard.
Trying again each time it fired up but despite my adding throttle died. Then I began rapidly pressing the starter button (4 or 5 times) with throttling up and the rpms would increase up to 6,000 rpm or so. When I stopped pressing the starter button, no response to my throttling and the engine quit. Sat for about 5 minutes. Used the starter button rapidly again, got the engine up to high rpms and this time when stopping with the starter button, the engine responded to throttle normally, off I went.
Finished up the last 15 miles or so with perfection.
I know weird.
For whatever it's worth the temperature indicator was slightly higher than I seem to remember. Never got to red.
AND..... the fan was running the entire time I was riding. It's in the high 80's here and I was mostly highway.
Just don't sit there............ dust off a few brain synapses I let me know what ya think.
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

When pushing the starter button you are bypassing the ballast resistor. So that points you to a possible issue there. I had one here a couple years ago that just would run "bad" after it got warm. Push the starter button and it ran fine. That bike had 1500 coils on it. Did not need the ballast so I removed it and it is now fine. I use Dyna coils. Others do not.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

I read and understand the ballast resistor being bypassed by the starter button.
This sure makes sense of my repeatedly pushing the starter button to get the rpms up.
I looked in Shop Talk and find no reference to the ballast resistor.
How's it tested/evaluated?
Do the Dyna coils require using their electronic ignition?
What if any Dyna coil model number would I require?
I see some coils listed for (Randakk for one) $40 are these any good?
Thanks !
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

Found this great article ballast resistors on GL1000's....... Randakk of course.
https://www.randakksblog.com/ballast-re ... procedure/

Anyone here done the automotive replacement he mentions?
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Great suggestion to check the ballast resistor !
maury
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by maury »

Today - Bought the NAPA ballast resistor and installed it. See Randakk article referenced above.
Seems to idle better for sure.
Tomorrow - Repeating the 100 mile ride from 2 days ago where the engine quit 4 - 5 times and came very close to leaving me stranded twice.
I'll report back in upon my return.............. if I make it back.
75 GL1000
76 GL1000 LTD
2019 DCT Airbag Tour
Austin, Texas