78 GL1000 gears won't engage

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: 78 GL1000 gears won't engage

Post by redsrback6 »

Hey Guys,

Not been on the road yet, checking some things over with electrical.

1. When I bought this bike, it had a Tridon 12v relay that worked. Problem was it was round and just hanging by the connectors, there was no mount. I bought one off eBay that came with the rubber mount. Since I got the bike running and began checking some things, turn signals didn't work so I assume the relay from eBay was bad. I connected the old Tridon and turn signals worked again but, they would only blink 3-4 times then quit. I'm waiting on a new 12v relay from Honda.

2. The hi-beam on my headlight doesn't seem any brighter than the low-beam. The click over from low to high is sluggish but perhaps that is normal IDK. I did not check the hi-beam while revving the engine at a higher rpm. Cliff said this sounded like a weak ground to him. Just curious if anyone else has this issue. The H4 bulb is fairly new btw.

3. My 78 GL1000 has a stray green wire near the main plug-rectifier which isn't connected to anything. I added a connector to it and tucked it into the open slot of main plug, matching up to the blank slot of the OEM 7 wire rectifier. Should this wire be mounted to the frame somewhere, or does anyone know of an 8-wire w/3 green rectifier? I have a spare wire harness from a donor 78 and it too has 3 green wires, all spade connectors. Just FYI this bike once was without a 12v regulator and had a combo 8 wire rectifier including 2 red, 3 yellow, 2 green, and a black. The old regulator yellow and green wires were taped up. If I recall... the black was soldered with extension and fitted into the main plug matching up to rectifier black. I converted this back to OEM regulator and rectifier. To best of my knowledge the stray green wire didn't have anything to do with the combo setup. I was simply a frayed wire not used for anything. Got to thinking about this wondering if there could be any connection to the above issues. FYI when I check other wire harnesses for sale on eBay, I see some with 2 green wires but also 1 or 2 with 3.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank You All
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

*a picture is worth a thousand words*

A PO installed Windjammer fairing is in the story, too . ;) That's my suspicion. I am not familiar with a Windjammer install details. Would have to guess it utilizes a bulkhead wiring pigtail connection and scotchlocks like my Pacifico fairing does?
IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg (140.63 KiB) Viewed 440 times

here's a Windjammer SS General Mounting Instructions document:
https://craigvetter.com/images/Vetter%2 ... 20inst.pdf

and SUPPLEMENTARY GL1000 installation document
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55229

I will ease back on this one now.
Last edited by gltriker on Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Yes, they used the &%##*! Scotchlok connectors (herpes of the electrical world). They not only cut through insulation leaving the conductors exposed to water ingress, but cut conductors reducing current capacity. At a minimum you must use liquid electrical tape to heal the insulation, but often cut, add marine heat shrink, and solder back.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

PID, Yepper, I always cringe when a bike has had a Windjammer installed, never good ! Taught me to really hate scotch-locks ! I’ll add that every Windjammer equipped bike I’ve experienced in the past 10-20yrs has had electrical issues and most blinkers don’t work, I hate scotchlocks and not fan of Windjammers either.

On the air cleaner snorkels, personally I usually cut several inch’s off of them because between the end being so reduced down and the fact that it’s such a tight fit to get the air cleaner in, I just cut them off. I know the general thought is that the snorkel is supposed to pull cooling air over the coils but I haven’t seen any negatives in cutting the snorkel off. Add-in that later wing air cleaners run dual snorkels that are much shorter tells that Honda figured out they really didn’t need to do the snorkel drawing air across the coils.

The only negative I’ve found in cutting the air cleaner snorkels off is that if you shorten them to much you will get some intake roar from it, but I’ll add that I’m open to opinions on this but will add that I’ve tried about everything on the aircleaner from oe stock to fully Swiss-cheesing the air box but I don’t recommend that.

Anyway that’s my .02 on airbox’s.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

1) The turn signal only flashing a few times could be caused by low voltage. You need to run the engine at 2500RPM or higher for about 5 minutes to replace the charge used for starting (no, idling won't do it because the alternator's output depends on engine RPM). If you have been cranking the starter motor a lot without running the engine enough to re-charge the battery you should probably charge it with a charger and see if the signals start to work better.

2) The high beam should be slightly brighter than the low but probably not enough for you to notice. The main difference is the aim with the high beam basically straight ahead and parallel with the ground and the low beam brighter on the side you drive on (right side if you are in North America) to light up the shoulder of the road better and hitting the road something like 350-400 feet in front of you.

Re air cleaner snorkel, the GL1100 has similar coils in a similar location and the inlet of the air cleaner is on its lid so I don't think drawing cooling air over the coils is necessary.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by redsrback6 »

Thanks Bob, RedGL, PID, and Cliff!! Not a big fan of the fairing either. I'm assuming no concerns over the loose green ground wire. Just seems odd for it to be there. It was quite a while back I discovered it. At the time I was cleaning up my other connectors so just decided to put one on it, then just slid it into the empty slot of the plug. Wasn't too concerned about it till lately, I began to wonder if it had been grounded to the frame at some point.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

The extra green in the headlight bucket may be the one that goes to a large ring connector under each mounting ear stud to give ground to the signals.
1976 Yamaha RD400c
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah, there are a few extra green (ground) wires in the harness so my only concern about the loose green would be making sure everything that needs a ground connection is properly connected to a green wire and not to the frame or something like that.

One thing you should absolutely avoid is grounding anything to a point ahead of the steering head. The "ground" half of the circuit is the current's return path to the battery so it carries the same amount of current as the power wires do. That means if you were to ground the turn signals to the headlight ears without a green wire connection the current would have to pass through the steering head bearings. When current has to pass through the bearings turning the steering a bit disturbs the circuit and tiny sparks can occur, pitting the bearings & races and leading to premature failure.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by redsrback6 »

PID and Bob, thank you guys! When I get the time, I'll check out the wiring in the headlight bucket, and be mindful of any missing or improper grounds. For now, I went ahead and pulled the extra green ground wire out of the open slot of the main plug, and I just slipped a clear protector tube over the spade, will let it hang loose.

I've got quite a bit of good news... First, my turn signal relay came yesterday morning. I installed it and now the turn signals work perfectly! Something I noticed... the prongs look like they could be color coded. There's a silver prong with a gray dot next to it, and a gold prong with black dot. The gray was worn off the old relay. I couldn't find anything supporting that these prongs are specific but, I hooked them up as such by connecting the gray wire to prong with gray dot, I and connected the green/white wire with black umbrella to the prong with black dot. This is opposite how I had the old relay connected so is possible I had it connected wrong.

The horns work, as does the extra Blazer light (with switch) mounted below the headlight, even though doesn't seem very bright. The rate of charge at idle and 2000 rpm are within range.

GEARS! Finally took this bike off the rack and rode it around the subdivision a few times. The gears shift perfectly! Don't think I ever got it any higher than 3rd but I'm sure all the gears are good. No smokey exhaust, and no backfire! This bike has been on the rack for so many years, on the center stand. As of today, it is parked on its regular kickstand!
redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by redsrback6 »

Again, I need to thank Cliff, Rob, and all you guys who pitched in to help me. No way I could have done this alone. Recall, I was ready to throw in the towel and turn this bike over to a local mechanic. You talked me out of it.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

This is the same way that many of us started, I'm sure. Standing on each-other's shoulders.
1976 Yamaha RD400c
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

pidjones wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:49 am This is the same way that many of us started, I'm sure. Standing on each-other's shoulders.
Ditto ! tumb2 :-D
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

redsrback6 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:44 pm

GEARS! Finally took this bike off the rack and rode it around the subdivision a few times. The gears shift perfectly! Don't think I ever got it any higher than 3rd but I'm sure all the gears are good. No smokey exhaust, and no backfire! This bike has been on the rack for so many years, on the center stand. As of today, it is parked on its regular kickstand!
You might notice a bit of blue smoke from left side on start up when it is parked using the side stand. Sounds like you have a good runner congrats on doing it yourself.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by redsrback6 »

Appreciate it PID, Cliff, and Jonesz. Probably the most important lesson from all this is having that knowledge, discipline, and putting forth the effort to take proper care of your motorcycle. Every single person who chimed in helped me with this. I do want to come up with an easier way of getting this bike on and off the center stand!

PID, don't think I ever said it but early on you also suspected a voltage problem, even though the carbs were still suspect at that point. Anyway, sorry I didn't ask for further instructions.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

The secret to putting it on the center stand is in many Youtube videos - have on hard-soled shoes and put more effort into pressing DOWN on the stand than pulling UP and BACK on the grab bar and handlebars.
1976 Yamaha RD400c
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped