Hondaline Luggage Racks 78 GL1000

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Hondaline Luggage Racks 78 GL1000

Post by redsrback6 »

Hey Guys, hoping you can save me some time. Looking for anyone with expertise on mounting Hondaline side luggage racks. Also has an attaching rear rack and seat back. All this was on my 78 years ago along with after-market exhaust, but I've switched back to original stock exhaust, bracket, etc. I also picked up a grab bar last winter and currently have it mounted. I'm considering putting the racks back on but have a question concerning the bottom mount point, passenger foot peg and exhaust bracket. Will the racks mount to the bolt on the inside of the frame? Hoping that is the correct location since the exhaust bracket looks made to fit the outer edge and the foot peg to it. Trying to squeeze the rack in between the exhaust bracket and outer edge of the frame I don't think will work plus I already have the exhaust clamps tightened. So maybe I've answered my own question but if anyone can confirm or tell me otherwise I'd appreciate it. If meant to mount on outside of frame I may just stick with the grab bar and not do the luggage. Looks like inside will work unless I'm missing it.
redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: Hondaline Luggage Racks 78 GL1000

Post by redsrback6 »

Strike 1... Had to go deep into Youtube GL1000 walk-arounds but finally found a 79 with same bags and probably the same side racks, different back. His are mounted on the front side of frame, followed by the exhaust bracket and peg.
redsrback6
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: Hondaline Luggage Racks 78 GL1000

Post by redsrback6 »

Closer look... he kept the exhaust bracket next to the frame on outside, followed by the rack, then passenger peg. Makes sense, just got to thinking about the latch on the peg fitting into the slot of exhaust bracket to keep peg stationary. Why I thought those 2 pieces might stay together but the rack comes in at a perfect angle allowing the latch to lock onto it to keep stationary. I believe that's how mine were mounted originally when I had the after-market exhaust. I'm sure his are mounted correctly so I think I answered my question.

Return to “GoldWing Tech Discussions”