Wiring on a converted GL1100

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Bignoz123
Lead Member
Lead Member

Wiring on a converted GL1100

Post by Bignoz123 »

Hi there,
8m new to the forum and goldwings. I have just brought a 1980 GL1100. It was originally a Aspencade but the previous owner had started the conversion to standard. I’m fine with pretty much anything mechanical and cosmetic, my achilles heel is wiring. It’s in good shape apart from the headlights and handlebar switches. I will be changing the switchgear which I don’t see as much of an issue, but I can’t for the life of me see how the wiring for the headlights and indicators hangs together. The former fairing plug is still there and I’ve found the wiring diagram but still don’t get exactly how it works as, different from my bandit I rewired. If anyone can offer any help guidance it would be much appreciated. Happy to give more details if needed
CYBORG

Re: Wiring on a converted GL1100

Post by CYBORG »

Not to difficult. Start with a good wiring diagram from a Honda service manual, and then just do one circuit at a time, wiring only the circuits you want to use. Pay attention to the size of wire for each circuit, based on how much current they draw.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Bignoz123
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Bignoz123 »

Hi there.
Thanks for the reply, I got a copy of the wiring diagram. I cracked open a beer and sat worked it out, once I got into it it was reasonably straight forward. 😊
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Yeah … beer helps … but only to a point …

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The cable with the fairing plug is a sub harness. If you open the wiring box and unplug the fairing cable's connectors from the main harness and you will have the connections for the standard's headlight and turn signals.

You will probably need to unplug all of the stuff inside the wiring box to remove the box and its brackets so that you can install a regular headlight in its place. Apparently all of the wires & connectors that are in the box on the faired models fit inside the standard's headlight but I couldn't get them all in when I changed my '83 Interstate to a regular headlight so I bundled most of them into some rubber wiring boots I happened to have and tucked them up behind the headlight (years later I replaced the instrument panel with a much smaller electronic instrument, which made room for a speaker/wiring box and moved the wires into there but that's another story)
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....