81 Gl1100 clutch adjustment access

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Figor
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

81 Gl1100 clutch adjustment access

Post by Figor »

I put a different clutch lever mount on my bars and had some slipping issues. I was able to sort it out by adjusting the cable ends. I would still like to adjust it at the clutch which is where I’m getting thrown off course.

I was looking at the Clymer and it shows a two bolt cover that gives access to the clutch adjustment. I can’t see how to get to that without removing the fuel tank. Am I looking at the right cover on an 81? This Clymer covers many years so I’m not sure the pic in it is an 81.
1981 Goldwing GL1100
Microsquirt efi
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 81 Gl1100 clutch adjustment access

Post by Lucien Harpress »

First thing, if it's set up like my GL1000, there should be an adjustment on the cable right before it goes into the engine block. Right hand side, near the rear of the engine. This is where the "rough" adjustment for the clutch is done, no need to get into the actuating mechanism.

That said, if you DO want to get any deeper, it should be a round cover on the very rear of the engine block, close to if not on the bottom. It's just a dust cover, so take the two bolts off and that should expose the cable attachment linkage.

As to getting to it? You kinda.... do the best you can. Yeah, the tank is in the way (perhaps the exhaust too- my only reference is my GL1000), but chances are you have a frame cross member in the way as well. It's an absolute bear to get to regardless, but it IS doable. One of the downsides of the transverse engine design.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
Figor
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Figor »

Yeh that bar goes right across the middle of that cover. Removing the cover itself seems possible but putting a screwdriver on that middle screw and trying to break the lock nut key free doesn’t due to the interference of that bar.

I did adjust the bottom of the cable and up by the lever and have good free play now I just wanted to adjust the clutch in the cover but I think I’ll wait until I can pull it apart. It’s been down two weeks waiting for tail light and turn signals to arrive. So much for amazons two day delivery. They just got here yesterday so I’m riding until the season is over. Then I’ll start tearing into other things that will have the bike down for a while.
1981 Goldwing GL1100
Microsquirt efi
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

In theory you can do a full clutch rebuild without pulling the motor, and I think there's a write up on it here in the Shop Talk. Very ship-in-a-bottle, one plate at a time. Still, not the funnest job in the best of times.

The right tools help (offset wrench, right angle screwdriver). Sticking your tongue out a little helps too. And careful of those quick winter jobs- my engine-out clutch job turned into a 1.5 year full restoration....

Good luck!
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

That adjusts the distance between the engagement rod and the lifter plate, so it shouldn't have been affected by a perch swap. I'd bet a lot of these bikes never see that adjustment until they get a new clutch. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start getting partial disengagement or slippage regardless of clutch adjustment.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The GL1000 has that "little 2 bolt cover" but the 1100 doesn't. All the clutch adjustment you'll ever need can be done by adjusting the cable. first at the bottom and after that fine tuning at the handlebar.

Put your Clymer Festival of Errors on the shelf as a last resort reference and get the Factory Shop Manual for the 1100 (available online from several sources or PM me your email and I can send it to you).

FWIW, I haven't had the 1100 engine's clutch apart in the frame but when I put Mr.H together from my wrecked GL1000 and an 1100 with a seized engine I put the 1100 clutch cover on it so I could use the 1100 clutch cable. The clearance behind the engine should be pretty close to what an 1100 engine has (unless the exhaust gets in the way - I've always had Harley mufflers with no left/right collector).
When the damper plate's rivets let go and chewed the friction material off of the discs on either side of it the hardest part of working on it with the engine in the frame was getting down and back up with arthritic knees :orange :orange
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....