source for brake line kits

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

source for brake line kits

Post by toomanybikes »

Looking to replace the OEM brake lines on my '81 GL1100. The front brake is spongy on first pull and then gets "normal" after a second quick pull, which I assume is due to old lines.

I'm already aware of Randakk's and will see what they have, initial scan only shows single lines.

Galfer via Amazon has this double line option, which may fit the bill.
https://www.amazon.com/HONDA-Goldwing-G ... B00OBOUVAK

Are there any other sources of decent lines at decent prices? preferably with an option for slightly shorter top line (maybe 15") as I've switched to flatter handle bars and had to get creative routing the original line.
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: source for brake line kits

Post by redglbx »

Too,
what you describe is either air in the lines requiring bleeding the brakes or a worn out m/c seals. You might try bleeding you brakes before spending the money on new lines.

I will add that good quality braided stainless lines will definitely firm up your brake feel and imho are definitely a positive improvement, but what you’re describing is air in the lines and/or worn mc seals.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Sandy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sandy »

I got replacement black rubber lines from Siriusconinc.com for 76 & 77 GLs.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Personally , after upgrading my 76 to all braided SS brake lines earlier this year I would only go that route unless I was trying to keep it 100% original.

The difference is just amazing, the wooden feel is gone and no longer requires a death grip to get it to stop. The brakes are really pretty good, still not the 2 finger feel of the modern sport bikes but actually pretty good now. By the way I still have the OE hard as heck pads on the front with plenty of material left at 52k miles, I believe they’ll go 75-100k miles before being worn out. I’m on the 3rd set of EBC rears which were originally changed by me to try to get some wet weather brake ability. But the only thing that fixed that was drilling the rotors.

Stainless Braided brake lines are highly recommended by me, one of the best upgrades I’ve made to my bike ! Thanks Ed!
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by toomanybikes »

redglbx wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:44 am Too,
what you describe is either air in the lines requiring bleeding the brakes or a worn out m/c seals. You might try bleeding you brakes before spending the money on new lines.

I will add that good quality braided stainless lines will definitely firm up your brake feel and imho are definitely a positive improvement, but what you’re describing is air in the lines and/or worn mc seals.
I've bled dozens of brakes and these one multiple times, including positioning the side stand and front wheel to minimize possibility of air pockets.

I thought about the m/c seals, but wouldn't worn seals never achieve decent pressure?

Also, they are 40+ years old, so maybe it's time for new lines regardless of what is causing the mushy feeling.
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
LuckyEddie
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by LuckyEddie »

Www.Classic-cycle.ca is where I got my lines from. Night and day difference. They make the lines, DOT approved (big deal if leo is looking for a reason to impound your bike) custom length not an issue.
LuckyEddie

1978 GL1000 Supercharged (Avitar)
1976 GL1000
1980 XS1100LG
1982 XV750J
1981 XV920RH
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I’ve had good luck with Ray at Apex … http://www.apexbrakes.com/custom.asp?fi ... ines=black

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

toomanybikes wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:23 pm

I've bled dozens of brakes and these one multiple times, including positioning the side stand and front wheel to minimize possibility of air pockets.

I thought about the m/c seals, but wouldn't worn seals never achieve decent pressure?

Also, they are 40+ years old, so maybe it's time for new lines regardless of what is causing the mushy feeling.

Too,
Just Changing the lines will not fix your problem imho, well maybe if there’s air in the system, if you go to braided lines you will notice a vast improvement (thanks Ed!) but if you’re m/c seals are worn they can do what you describe and seal once you apply the brakes fast enough to flair the seal lips out and seal, but again in my opinion you have air in your system, but if you change your lines and it is air in the system you should get it out once you bleed the system. Also to test the m/c just apply it very slowly to see if the lever goes all the way to the bar, if it does then your m/c seals are probably worn out.

I would agree that at 40 years old it is time to change the lines (it’s why I changed mine to the braided lines) but again unless there is a bulge in one they can’t really cause what you described .

I spent nearly 30yrs in brake engineering and tested many, many brake lines and never seen one cause what you described. I have seen them deteriorate where they had a flap internally that acted like a check valve , Chrysler had a recall exactly for this. But again either way if you change your lines you’ll be doing a good thing for your safety , and if the problem persists then you’ll know to look at the m/c. Can’t hurt !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Also keep in mind that the front brake splitter is an air trap. When I went with two longer hoses and a double banjo clamp I no longer needed to bleed the front calipers.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by toomanybikes »

redglbx wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:53 pm
toomanybikes wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:23 pm

Too,
Just Changing the lines will not fix your problem imho, well maybe if there’s air in the system, if you go to braided lines you will notice a vast improvement (thanks Ed!) but if you’re m/c seals are worn they can do what you describe and seal once you apply the brakes fast enough to flair the seal lips out and seal, but again in my opinion you have air in your system, but if you change your lines and it is air in the system you should get it out once you bleed the system. Also to test the m/c just apply it very slowly to see if the lever goes all the way to the bar, if it does then your m/c seals are probably worn out.

I would agree that at 40 years old it is time to change the lines (it’s why I changed mine to the braided lines) but again unless there is a bulge in one they can’t really cause what you described .

I spent nearly 30yrs in brake engineering and tested many, many brake lines and never seen one cause what you described. I have seen them deteriorate where they had a flap internally that acted like a check valve , Chrysler had a recall exactly for this. But again either way if you change your lines you’ll be doing a good thing for your safety , and if the problem persists then you’ll know to look at the m/c. Can’t hurt !
Thanks. Clearly your 30 years trumps my dozens of bleeds. No sarcasm or political commentary intended.
Last edited by toomanybikes on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greater Boston MA, USA
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Too, none taken, we just gotta work together to keep these old birds running, as I said above I think you’re right in replacing those 40yr old lines & i would suggest running new fluid and bleeding the brakes every couple of years as brake fluid does absorb water out of the air and as that happens it will cause corrosion to things in there, should be part of our normal maintenance just like changing oil.

Please don’t ask me how diligent I am in doing that 🤔🤔
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

redglbx wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:38 am Too, none taken, we just gotta work together to keep these old birds running, as I said above I think you’re right in replacing those 40yr old lines & i would suggest running new fluid and bleeding the brakes every couple of years as brake fluid does absorb water out of the air and as that happens it will cause corrosion to things in there, should be part of our normal maintenance just like changing oil.

Please don’t ask me how diligent I am in doing that 🤔🤔
have you or anyone you are aware of changed their brake fluid to dot 5?
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Not sure I'm adding much here, but it's entirely possible that there are 2 (or more) issues here: air trapped somewhere in the line (spongy feel), plus a MC that is headed south.

Does the pressure fade if you hold the lever for a bit (minute or two)? I think a failing MC will not hold the pressure steady. I've also experienced that a failing MC can require pumping to bring pressure up.

As redglbx notes, if new lines don't do it, you might be in for a MC rebuild kit.

FWIW, I've had good experiences with Brake Crafters. I think I've used their MC (and caliper) rebuild kits on 6-8 MCs and more calipers. (When it's time to buy the front MC rebuild kit for an old Suzuki project I have, they'll be my first look.) Obviously, there are other options.

(I do hope that '81 is treating you right! I remember when you and I were both eyeballing it about a year or so ago.)
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

I get all my brake lines from Raymond. Great product, fast shipping..
http://www.apexbrakes.com/
His website is giving him fits right now and the contact link isn't working.
Here is his e-mail address though.
havetodoit@hotmail.com
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The rubber brake lines should have been replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (=5 or 6 years) so whether the lines are contributing to your problem or not they need to be replaced.

And if you haven't done it recently rebuilding the calipers and rebuilding or replacing the master cylinder is probably a good idea. Remember, the brakes are the most important part of any vehicle.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....