Main fuse fire!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

sickradsean
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Main fuse fire!

Post by sickradsean »

Out of nowhere the main fuse at the battery decided to melt itself!? This was installed by a PO and I'm wondering if 40a was too much? It would seem that a lesser fuse would have blown and I remember reading that it was originally a 30a? Luckily I was able to cut the fuze out on the side of the road and splice in a 30a to get home. But I'm curious what would cause this if everything has been fine recently?

The only thing that was odd was my bike seemed to slip out of 4th gear into almost a "neutral" (engine revved but no power until I shifted to another gear). But I would imagine this is a separate issue with the clutch/trans.

ImageImage
1977 GL1000 "Goldie"
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Main fuse fire!

Post by Whiskerfish »

Have had 2 of those mini fuses do that exact thing. Need to replace with the full size and then make it a yearly scheduled thing to clean the connections.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
sickradsean
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by sickradsean »

It was a regular size fuse. I think the fact that it was a 40a and not a 30a is why it fried and didn’t just pop. Im gonna replace the assembly and put in the correct size, but im still curious as to what caused it. 🤔
1977 GL1000 "Goldie"
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Like Whisker said, it's the resistance caused by corrosion on the fuse legs and/or the connectors. Heat caused the meltdown, high amperage is what would've blown the fuse. Two different things entirely.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yep. When everything is fresh & clean the contact between the fuse and the terminal in the fuse holder has close enough to no resistance that no heat will occur but if the connection between the fuse and the holder was corroded or loose resistance would develop, which causes voltage to drop across the connection proportional to the resistance and the amount of current.
Voltage x current = power which must be dissipated as heat, which causes more corrosion, increasing the resistance and thus the voltage, resulting in more power = more heat = more corrosion = higher resistance & so on until it gets hot enough to melt something.

The easy way to prevent this is to 1) make sure the terminals inside the fuse holder (or any other similar terminals in any connector) are good & snug and 2) unplug & re-plug them every few years (pushes the oxidation out of the way resulting in a clean connection).

Re the transmission slipping out of gear, that was most likely because you didn't quite kick it hard enough when shifting. Missed shifts happen (and usually when someone is watching :roll:). Unless it happens a lot don't worry about it and if it does concentrate on your technique before you look for a mechanical problem.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....